Which 5420?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by EasyEd, Jun 3, 2018.

1. EasyEd

EasyEd Gretschie

Feb 17, 2012
    Nanaimo, BC
    Hey All,

In about 5 or 6 hours I'm likely going to buy one or the other of these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The black fsr one is 50 bucks more than the standard 5420 while the 135 anniversary one is 200 bucks more than standard. Both are retail priced neither is sale priced. I been watching for awhile I never see them sale priced unless they are a nobody wants sparkle top meaning they have not moved in a long time. Both play and sound great - neither is better than the other. Both have upgraded hardware including treble bleed that standard models don't.

It comes down to aesthetics. The gold hardware has grown on me as I didn't like it initially but now I like it. I like both guitars but I already have a standard black pro Jet - but on the other hand the cherry and gold anniversary model costs 150 bucks more. 150 bucks is not a deal breaker but I just don't like paying extra money unless I see some value in it and I'm already paying full retail - it is just time to take the plunge as I've wanted a 5420 to go with my pro Jet and Baja Tele for uh well years.

Been trying to decide if I see enuff extra value for 150 bucks.

How many of you make a point of having guitars of different colors or are you uni-color? What would you do?

-Ed-

2. BrianW

BrianW Gretschie

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Hi there from a little way north (Comox). I have a 5422 in black with silver hardware, and a Gretsch orange 5420T also with silver hardware. So I guess that puts me in the multi colour camp. Or perhaps I just figured I needed at least one orange Gretsch :rolleyes:.

Tough call to make... good luck !

cheers

3. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Difficult to tell from the pictures.
    I normally hate gold hardware but both seem very classy: it comes down to which do YOU prefer?
    Or to put it another way, is the anniversary worth 150 bucks more to YOU, considering there is apparently no difference in sound or playability.
    Colour is simply in the eye of the beholder.
    There are guys here who only buy blue guitars....
    I don't think that in over 50 years of owning and playing more than 50 guitars, I have ever considered buying one because I didn't have one of that colour or because perhaps I did!
    150 bucks is 150 bucks! Spend it on a hard case, job done.

kjmac likes this.
  4. stevemorrison

stevemorrison Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2011
    Dundee, SCOTLAND
    If it were me I would go for the Black as I am not keen on the gold back and sides of the Anniversary.

Never owned a gold guitar and probably never will.

mschafft likes this.
  5. BrianW

BrianW Gretschie

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    For what it's worth.. I also prefer the single colour for a hollowbody. Use the $150 for a case is a good suggestion, imo. BUT, it is your call, of course.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’m a sucker for two-tone, so it’s a no brainer for me. Add in that owning two black guitars is already pushing my limit on black guitars.

Stock G5420ts also have a treble bleed, which is a single ceramic cap on the master volume. Don’t forget the different fretboard material (IIRC)—I think the uniform dark ebony material on the Electro Annie is worth the upgrade price but no idea on it’s long term looks.

Henry likes this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    What kind of upgraded hardware?
    I don‘t like two tone guitars, but that‘s just me. I love the Fairlane Blue and the Aspen Green ;)

8. Geordie99

Geordie99 Electromatic

Feb 22, 2017
    Canada
    20180602_115858.jpg Definitely comes down to your call, but not a fan of the gold back and side s. The gold hardware is another story. The black and gold is class, and I probably would have jumped all over that...if it had been available up here at the time. I settled on the cadillac green and gold, and I am happy that I did. Love it, and the gold hardware has definitely grown on me. The G5420 is a beautiful guitar, and I have no doubts that you'll love it.

9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Get the color you want. Dont know your financial situation but $150 is not much if you plan to keep this guitar a long time.
    And you should try to negotiate the price down

CaliforniaSlim likes this.
  10. xStonr

xStonr Electromatic

As I see it, it's win/win for you.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Hi Ed
    I wouldn't buy either of those.
    You already have a black so that counts out another one.
    One of them is $200 more you say - for what ? - an anniversary.

I'd just get a standard 5420 in Fairlane Blue (or other colour you like) for best price I could find and then upgrade it with new bridge & bone nut.

CaliforniaSlim and audept like this.
  12. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I can't see you going wrong either way. Both are impressive and they are Gretsch.

13. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Use the scientific approach:
    coin toss.jpg

Outlaw, rob batz and Waxhead like this.
  14. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    I've always lived like this.
    When in doubt, don't do anything.

Maybe there's a better one down the line.
    A White Falcon at a garage sale behind an old dresser.

15. EasyEd

EasyEd Gretschie

Feb 17, 2012
    Nanaimo, BC
    Hey All,

Do you have an address for that garage sale? :)

Actually I went to the store an sat for awhile with the two tone anni and kept thinking about and seeing the back and sides and decided I could not go there. So I went black. Yes I bought the black one and am very happy. Through this though I did realize my favorite color for a guitar - dark cherry or burgundy over a dark back an sides an that is why I liked the two tone so much just as I like the dark cherry 5220 just not the pickups.

Interesting everybody's perspective! Thank You!

-Ed-

Outlaw and Henry like this.
  16. BrianW

BrianW Gretschie

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Congrats on the new axe! You will soon hear that pics ("couch pics" in particular) are appreciated. :p

Enjoy!

17. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Both very nice, but i prefer the Black with Gold hardware... very classy..

18. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congrats on your new 5420 EasyEd! I've seen, and played, the anniversary issue, and I just didn't find it special enough to warrant spending extra money to get it. I think you made the right call on the black with gold hardware.

19. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  20. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    That black is great.! You Made a great choice.

Geordie99 likes this.