Where to know whereabouts of my guitar?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by UlisesV, May 11, 2019.

1. UlisesV

UlisesV Electromatic

Apr 27, 2019
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Hello all.
    I own a Country Gentleman model 7670 which I bought in the early 80's.
    Where can I find information about that guitar? I know it was USA made and have the serial number.
    Gretsch site yields no results when I input the model number.
    George Harrison played one in his early years, but I'm sure everyone here knows that :)

I would like to know for example how valuable it is in these days.

2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
  3. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I see a few of them on Reverb for sale, probably a good place to start when looking at possible value

4. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Your Gent's serial number is date-coded... and the second digit typically designates the model year. Start with that, and tell us the year of your guitar, 'cus that can make a difference to value. Also... as with any collectible or antique, originality and condition are EVERYTHING. What information, beyond value, are you looking to find about your guitar? If you have specific questions, there are people on this forum that can usually help out.

mrfixitmi, loudnlousy and mbkri like this.
  5. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
  6. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    This is my 7670. It was the first guitar in April (4th month) of 1973.

7. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Yes... you have correctly translated your serial number! The 70s are referred to as the "Baldwin era", which technically started in '68 when the brand was sold by Fred Gretsch Jr. to the Baldwin Piano Co. But the factory moving to Arkansas in the early 70s is when the designs were modified so it's THOSE guitars that usually get recognized as being from the "Baldwin era". There have always been reports of quality inconsistency during that period, but many on this forum will testify to the fact that some really great guitars were made at that time. Baldwin era (70s) Gents tend to sell in the US$2000-2500 range depending on condition. Binding deterioration is a primary concern with vintage Gretsch guitars and will negatively affect their value once it becomes evident.

EDIT: Oops... I mistakenly took mbkri's post to be from the original poster... sorry about that.

loudnlousy and mbkri like this.
  8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    No worries Wayne. I’m with you wholeheartedly on the possibility of finding a Baldwin-made Gretsch that sings. I’ve had mine 27 years and it still looks and sounds amazing, every bit as rich and characterful as my Japanese prolines, and, as yet, no binding rot even though it’s 46 years old.

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I never played a 70ies hollow body Gretsch that is not amazing. These solid bodies are not to my personal liking. But the hollws are all great.

10. UlisesV

UlisesV Electromatic

Apr 27, 2019
    Monterrey, Mexico
    thunder58 likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Now I'm curious ...... good luck

12. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Yeah, you got me there. No sn on the headstock. I dont know what that means. Wayne?

13. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    10-9207 = Oct. 1979... 207th guitar off the line that month. These black bordered paper labels became the standard in the later 70s. They look like this...
    70s paper label.jpeg

Ricochet, loudnlousy and mbkri like this.
  14. UlisesV

UlisesV Electromatic

Apr 27, 2019
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Exactly like mine!!!
    The body of my guitar is in almost pristine condition, but the golden metal parts have deteriorated over the years.

thunder58 and mbkri like this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Pics ..... we love pics here . That's the original forum rule : Pics or it didn't happen

Jena likes this.
  16. This below link is pretty good imho . . . seems consistent what has already been mentioned in this thread, that '65 -'66 there was a change . . . it has a decoder utility that you can enter your Gretsch serial no. . . .
    - I'm sure someone will stump it, though.

https://www.guitarinsite.nl/serienummers-gretsch_eng.php

thunder58 likes this.
  17. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I strongly suggest that this site is ignored for vintage Gretsch serial numbering history. I can't even begin to list all the inaccuracies.

JC higgy likes this.
  18. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I strongly agree.

JC higgy likes this.
  19. Far To Many

Far To Many Gretschie

Dec 31, 2018
    Upstate, NY
    And that is why you yourself are such an invaluable source. Thank You again for helping me in the past as well as everyone else. It may be daunting at times, but we really do appreciate it.

20. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    It's a labor of love!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice