When was your first time?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Jan 22, 2020.

1. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I was 8 or 9, 1966 or 67, At Christmas my parents got me a package deal from Grinell's Music. A hollow body Marlin electric with 2 pickups and a cheesy spring vibrato Assembly. Came with a Checkmate 10 solid state amplifier.

Took lessons from a horrible lady with an arch top Gibson. The Mel Bay method, really hated that. It was all about sight reading, crappy songs, never learned a chord from her (those came "later"), and I don't even think a scale. Just play La Cookaracha and My Dog Has Fleas or whatever. Horrid. During this period, I also did 2 years of Coronet with the elementary school band, and a year or a little more of piano lessons (at least there were some chords). Minor toying with drums also (a friend had a kit).

Gave all that up, then at 12 or 13 or so I picked it up again. A friend of my older sister began teaching me some acoustic stuff (borrowed then bought her never really used Harmony acoustic-she got it when I got the Marlin). By 14 I was heavily into all things guitar, and got my first real amp (West Avalon 45 watt tube amp, 2 4/12 speaker cabinets). My father snuck back to see the guy we got the amp from and bought my first quality guitar (that I wouldn't shut up about) for Christmas. A 1967 Gibson Non Reverse Firebird III with 3 P-90s. I played it for years, then somehow let that one slip away in the late 90s, one of my greatest regrets. Also had built a nice little collection in the 90s that mostly went away.

Back into it around 2005 or 2006 I think. Taken a few multi year breaks before that as life happened, but hopefully back for good (at least solid for the last 12 to 15 years).

new6659 and SAguitar like this.
  2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Electromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    At the age of 12 in 1961. Had just been diagnosed with rheumatic fever and would be confined to bed for 9 months. My grand-mother bought me an arch top acoustic from Montgomery Wards mail order catalog.
    My guitar instructor used a Gretsch 6120 for instruction and the group he was in. Took me until 2019 to get my first Gretsch.
    Have had guitars every since. Still can't play very well but I have lots of fun entertaining myself.

3. Monty_piglit

Monty_piglit Gretschie

Oct 9, 2019
    Leicestershire
    I wanted to play the guitar from about 14, We had one lesson at school where the teacher had us trying the trickier chords. This somewhat put me off!

I then at age 20 looked after a friends music shop for a week when he was on Hols and tried playing a Gibson Hollow body. With no tuition you can imagine how that went :(

Then at 46(about a years ago) after the passing of my Mother :( I decided to actually do something about my guitar itch and splashed out on my 5420T and on lessons.

Now I have 4 Guitars and can play about 10 songs(badly) :)

4. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Walking to school on the first day of 8th grade my friend forced me to listen to Ozzy Osbourne.

Randy Rhoads’ mad-violin, classical-tinged lead spun my head round in circles. Mr. Crowley cast a spell on me; Changed my entire life and DNA in 5 minutes.

Now I sit and stare at guitars on the internet as if they were Playboy centerfolds...off the rails on a Crazy Train indeed.

Jeff67, Ricochet, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  5. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    About 1960 I think. Duo Sonic and Brown Deluxe after I tired of my Sears acoustic. Man I played that 6G2 tremelo constantly!
    Within a few years my guitar teacher took me to a gig to play rhythm guitar up near the Canadian border. On Sunday night bars were closed in Canada so they came across and packed the tiny town. I had to go outside or stay on the stage on breaks as I was too young.
    [​IMG]

6. jtees4

jtees4 Electromatic

Aug 21, 2017
    USA
    1968 would have been the year I picked it up, and never put it down....I touched a couple before then. I was 10 in 1968....so yeah I'm pretty old. To be exact, my doctor recently said, "you are a young man in an older mans body". I've had lots of medical issues that has slowed me down (not to mention almost killed me a couple of times) My hands are causing lots of problems, and there are bad days where it hurts like hell just to pick up the guitar.....there are days where my third finger on my fretting hand will not bend, but I pick up my guitar every day even if it's only for a few minutes. It's in me. The picture is I believe, 1968.
    [​IMG]

7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Grew up with music on all the time at home,my dad and his brothers all played instruments and they played in bands,so i was very young when i came into contact with guitars.I had a toy one first way back in the early 70's ,then my uncles Gibson Les Paul Deluxe was around the house a lot ,so i got the bug quick.

I would have been around 9 or 10 when i asked dad for a guitar of my own,which he got used ,just in case it was a fad,and he wasn't made of money ,we was poor but happy!

You would think i would know what i was doing having been playing for 40/ odd years,sadly ,no!:oops::D

8. L R Hutch

L R Hutch Electromatic

Apr 6, 2019
    Eastern Kentucky USA
    1958 I was 5 years old. I was given a Old Kraftsman arch top. Played like crap and sounded like crap but that is what I learned to play on until I was 12.

blueruins and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  9. DonC

DonC Electromatic

Aug 11, 2019
    Saranac, NY

Ditto. 1960, I was 17, just out of high school, headed for the army, bought a cheap 'cuestick guitar, met some girls.

audept likes this.
  10. Danbgt

Danbgt Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Texas
    I started beating on things when I was about 5. Started playing drums at 12. Did nothing but play drums until I was about 25. Then reality set in and I learned to make a “real” living. Played off and on for 40 years. When I retired a few years ago I went to the music store to buy a new electric kit. But picked up a guitar instead. Now it’s like a drug! I play ever day. Hopefully, before I die, you won’t be able to tell whether it’s me playing or Leo Kottke!

11. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Don't remember the year nor the age but I clearly remember the first time I got in close contact with an actual guitar, a nylon one. By an age between 6 and 10 (then 1972 to 1976). We were at some of my parents' friends and they had one on a stand in the living room.
    I sat down close to it and started to ravishingly play E-A-D-G-B-E and E-B-G-D-A-E... After a long while (for them to stand that), the guy proposed me to settle in a room with the guitar. And I continued that for long. I was hooked. Don't even remember if I tried the fretboard.
    Guess what? I've never actually tried alternate tunings since that day. And I still love to just noodle E-A-D-G-B-E.

Same here: when I later actually started playing with an old cheap used nylon guitar that was bought for me by my mother, by 14 or 15 years old, I learnt chords from a Dylan songbook.

thunder58 and blueruins like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice