Whelp... this is a surprise... (6120 vs 6120 DC)

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Jimi D, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Jimi D

Jimi D Electromatic

Nov 29, 2017
    Ottawa
    ...well, maybe not "versus"... but...

Got my new (to me) 2007 6120 DC back from my luthier... it had kind of been beat on a bit by the previous owner so I had him install a Compton and pin the bridge, put new medium jumbo frets on it (which gets a plek, of course), add a treble bleed on the master volume, trim the treble side of the string mute so only the D, A and E strings are affected by it and set it up just the way I like... all that took a while, and today was the first chance I've had to sit down and play it a bit.

I love the guitar; it's fun and easy to play. But what surprised me was just how very different it sounds from my 2013 6120. These guitars have the same hardware, the same wiring config (mostly), the same scale length, both have Comptons on them (aluminum on the DC, and brass on the other), they're made of the same woods, they were manufactured in the same factory (albeit six years apart)... hell, they even have matching straps. The prime differences between them are body shape and depth, and yet they sound really quite different from one another... The DC has a snap, a zing, that my singlecut 6120 lacks, and the singlecut has some depth and smoothness to it that the DC doesn't possess to the same degree. It's quite distinct when you're switching back and forth with them on one amp, and I must admit it took me by surprise, as I wasn't expecting the difference to be quite so obvious...

Love 'em both, of course. :D But has anyone else noticed this kind of broad discrepancy between comparable models?

Obligatory pic (it's dark and winter is coming)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    JC higgy, Trash Kidd, Wozob and 4 others like this.
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Aluminium on one, brass on the other. There’s your difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I gotta agree. Your description of the differences are likely largely explained by the bridges. It'd be an interesting experiment to swap the bridges.

Lovely bushel of oranges by the way!

dlew919 and Jimi D like this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

The thin closed top Electrotone body probably has a good amount to do with it.

LongJohn, dlew919 and BorderRadio like this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I have a 2004 Dyna Gakki DC with a titanium Compton and Duo-Trons. It has an interesting snap to it, but there’s also an underlying warmth. It’s a unique instrument, to say the least. If I’m recording a jazzy rhythm part the DC is usually my first choice, yet on the bridge pickup it can make some great, funky sounds.

Jimi D likes this.
  6. Jimi D

Jimi D Electromatic

Nov 29, 2017
    Ottawa
    The bridges could well be a large part of it... it would be interesting to swap them but I can't see myself bothering in the short term; I just want to play them now... much tone to be had... I think I'm picking up a new amp on Monday too, so that should double the fun!

dlew919 and Henry like this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    My 6119 1959RI was a total differnet beast than my vintage 6119 from 1961. Different weight, different bracing, different kind of Filtertrons, different fretboard wood, different kind of finish. All these little details added up to a total different sound and feel. The first one is a brute the second one was a cavalier.

Jimi D likes this.
  8. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    It looks to me like your 6120 is preFMIC. So if your DC is a 2007 then the 6120 is from 2001?

If this is the case, then the pickups, though both Filtertrons are not the same. The 2007 ones have alnico magnets while the older ones are ceramic.

I have found that alnico HS Filtertrons are more chimey, ringy pickups while the ceramics are more raunchy and gritty. Both sound good but sound different and both have their place in my books.

9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  10. Jimi D

Jimi D Electromatic

Nov 29, 2017
    Ottawa
    Actually, my standard 6120 is a 2013; what makes you think it's a pre-FMIC model? Anyway, that's not to say that there might not be some difference in the pickups, but I'm not aware of any changes made to the HS Filtertrons between 2007 and 2013...

11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I think that “snap and zing” can probably be credited to the thinner body. I’ve noticed much the same thing in my DC.

The DC is a pleasure to play with a wonderful neck and great action. It’s a lovely instrument, unique among my collection.

dlew919 likes this.
  12. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I did not mean to diss your guitar. The tuners look like Grover kidney button tuners. The preFMIC Gretschs had tuners that copied this style so I thought that that was what I was seeing. I am not too up to date on post 2012 Gretsch models so I was expecting to see Sta-tites if the guitar was FMIC era.

No offense intended.