What's your spending limit on a guitar ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    $1800-$2400 depending on if it has some sentimental value or if it's just THAT good. I have no problem with cheap guitars though. I do typically spend between $600-$1000, but I've been thinking of buying myself a Players Edition Jaguar in faded olive. around $1600

thunder58 likes this.
  2. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I have a related question, what is your tipping point?

I’ve been thinking about a guitar to play Jazz on and not treat really great. The options have varied so widely, custom built things, headless things. I think I’m settling in on a Jazzmaster of some type.

But I rarely ever get to the point where I buy something. I do a lot of intense internet searching.

thunder58 likes this.
  3. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    EA07E47A-EC76-467B-87C8-A5AECD1B0633.jpeg To date 1600$, that was in o6”. my only unplayed new purchase...
    Blonde Country Club

Hammerhands, JC higgy, emitex and 3 others like this.
  4. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I used to think it was $500.00 until my red sparkle G5420T came along... and then I fell in love with a Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat which was north of $800.00. I realize that was not a deal, but I wanted that exact guitar with a passion and I have no regrets. With the deluxe TSA case and tax it came to almost $1100.00 and as of today, that's my limit. :)

5. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My tipping point is usually seeing a great deal...I guess that really flips my justification switch.

If I see any gear I love at a price that I know is well below resale it’s like money in the bank.

Plus side is that I haven’t spent even $300 on an electric in ages and I could come out ahead selling every one of them.

Down side is that I sometimes have to explain mystery uPS packages to the missus after I’ve jumped at an Internet score that wasn’t on our budget.

Hammerhands likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    We must be related you and I . I have a package comming in 2 days , but not that bad . Never told the wife :D It's a small box but not a pedal . You'll all have to wait for the ..." N?D " thread :rolleyes:

blueruins and emitex like this.
  7. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I bought a tv sound bar and sub-woofer that came packaged in a rather guitar-shaped box, my wife's eyebrows went up and I teased by pretending to strum the package. But I'm still alive.

8. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Oh ...we're definetly related :D

blueruins and Sabato like this.
  9. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Prolly $2500, since that's what I paid for my G7593 White Falcon new. Via Cream City Music by the way. Ask for Ben.
    It all depends on my funds I guess. I could pay more.... if I were filthy rich.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Depending on the model, there might not be any limitations.
    The last time I really went crazy though was when Gibson offered the TH 54 Les Paul.
    One of my "must have" instruments.

Hammerhands, blueruins and thunder58 like this.
  11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Probably 2k. So maybe a used 6120 someday.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    My sweet spot is the low teen$ to upper teen$. I have ventured into the $2k+ range a couple of times but that is very rare.

I’m a hobby player and not a collector so anything higher in price is not necessary

I also have a rule I imposed a couple years ago, one in, one out. The leaving guitar does not have to fully fund the incoming guitar, just help off set the cost.

audept likes this.
  13. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    My Gretsch TR cost £1500 and that’s sort of my limit. My Gibson les Paul is the studio version due to that rule. I really like my TR so will I ever spend more? Maybe not. I’ll get a strat one day but it will be less than £1000. I may well get a duo jet with Dynas of the George Harrison type one day not necessarily a “signature” model, but that could break the £1500 limit. A white single cut Penguin is also a possibility which would also break the £1500 barrier. And I would like a better 12 string guitar too, likely a rickenbacker so that’s likely to break the £1500 barrier. I don’t mind second hand guitars so £1500 may stay the limit but I suspect the£2k barrier will get broken probably when kids have graduated. I’m 50 now so I think we are talking about my 60th birthday present. I’m sure you agree life’s too short to wait that long, so who knows what my next purchase will be or when. I’m sure you’ll all help me out when the time comes.

so I think the answer to the question is £2500. But I sometimes think that I should sell everything and then buy one guitar. The elder guitar, the grail guitar, one guitar to rule them all. But I’m not sure what that would be although I’m enjoying the new Les Paul so much that I think my “one” guitar could be a proline jet.

Heck - this is your fault Rich

blueruins likes this.
  14. scthom

scthom Electromatic

Sep 9, 2019
    Charlotte NC
    I like how you basically talked yourself up from 1000 to 2500 there.

pmac11, blueruins and new6659 like this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Just curious Rich, your Martins were all $2,000 or less?

pmac11, Sabato and thunder58 like this.
  16. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ...... ya caught me :p .. but please don't say nothing to my wife

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice