What's your spending limit on a guitar ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Oct 19, 2019.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    So after the Chuck Berry thread of $9999.00 , I thought I would ask this question again being that we have new members since the last time I did this thread years ago . There are some great guitars out there for hundreds of dollars and there are some great guitars out there for thousands of dollars . We all want the " best bang for the buck " , but I ask you ........
    What is your spending limit on a guitar ? ...me , $2000.00

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Right now any new guitar will have to be financed by the sale of existing guitars or other musical equipment.

radd, stiv, Waxhead and 3 others like this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Today I cannot afford to buy any guitar without selling other equipment.
    But if I would fell in love with a 20 k+ guitar I would certainly do so, save my money for years, even sell the motorbike to drum up the cash. When the bug has bitten me I am unstoppable.

4. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    The most I've spent was £1200. I was better paid back then though. I'd probably go to £1500 if I was flush. I'd really like a Bamboo Yellow Country Club with Dynas. I doubt I'd get much change out of 2 grand and I might stretch to that.

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Same for me Rich. 2000 bucks is about the max, allthough I was tempted once by a vintage Gibson L5 for under 6000. Luckily my wife talked some sense into me.

Generally I want bang for my buck and I am the modest opinion that it is absolutely unnecessary to spend more than a 1000 on piece of wood with strings. Unless it has an fancy logo on the headstock of course.

6. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Never really thought of a spending limit before as I never had a lot to spend on guitars anyway years ago as a struggling muso with 3 young kids to bring up..
    A bit better off these days though.
    The most I’ve spent on a guitar & the most I ever will spend on one was £1800 for my 2005 White Falcon.
    This is my go to guitar now.. does everything, so don’t really need anything else. Except maybe one day a Black or Silver Falcon to go with her ;)
    I have a nice Gibson SG, Les Pauls & a Tele so I’m pretty much covered for now..

7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Most of my life it’s been $2,200 if new. But with family right now, my music gear is funded mainly by selling gear. So guitar wise I currently search for used to get more bang for my buck. Although I’m currently selling some and stashing money aside just in case Adorama has another big 24 hour blowout this holiday season. If I remember right last Christmas they had select new pro line Gretsch’s for like $1,300-1,500.

Charlie westside, thunder58 and Zeek like this.
  8. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Spending limit? It always depends on the guitar in question, and my financial condition at that particular time.

I'd like to meet the guy (or his wife) who declares a $2k spending limit... and can walk away from an authentic 1959 6120 at an estate sale with a $2500 price tag.

MikeyUK, Lionpotato, RG7X and 14 others like this.
  9. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    It depends on the guitar itself, I really don’t have a budget. Who owned or played it has no effect on what I’d personally be willing to pay. To date I think the most I’ve been tempted to pay was $2200 for a flawless Saphire Penguin. I would pay more, just depends on the guitar. A young man was trying this particular guitar out in a store and asked me to hold it while he tried to come up with the cash. After holding it for about 10 minutes I told him and the salesperson if the young guy didn’t want it I would take it. A cheque and two credit cards later the young guy got his Penguin.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  10. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I've never had a strict spending limit. For me, it's about value for money rather than a particular dollar amount. So I've always had quality gear, but I've never spent more than $700 Canadian ($530 US) on an instrument. I look for bargains and almost always buy second-hand. That approach has gotten me two vintage drum kits, a keyboard, and a bunch of nice mid-range guitars.

I tend to share Ricochet's view that it's unnecessary to spend more than $1000 on a piece of gear. (At my talent level, anyway.) But if I sold an instrument for more than $1000, I'd be willing to spend that money on another instrument as long as the new one was well-priced.

Case in point: I once bought a vintage drum kit for $565 Canadian. The owner threw in a set of cymbals. Years later, I discovered that one of those cymbals was worth about $2000. If I sell that cymbal, I might treat myself to a second-hand proline Gretsch guitar. I wouldn't spend that much out of pocket, but I'd happily trade one fine instrument for another.

11. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Right now $300.

In general $1200

$6000 once in a lifetime

12. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I've only gone over the 2K price point twice in my life, so I guess that's it. I can't even imagine spending something like 5K on a guitar. I don't think I could ever bring myself to do it.

But I'll tell ya - I've got a bunch that ran around $1500-1800. That's a "high end" I can live with.

13. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    To date, I've never spent more than $3000 on a guitar, and I have more than I can actually play as it is. From now on I think my budget will consist of moving the money around that I already have invested by selling something I have to buy something I want.

That's the only way I can prevent it from becoming a "collection" which is a bad habit I've had my whole life. I LOVE collecting things, and with items like guitars, that can get incredibly expensive very quickly.

14. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    $2995.19... Anything over that better make me play like Brian Setzer.

15. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I don't have hard and fast rules other than -- in general/most of the time -- "one in, one out". But there have been exceptions........

audept, thunder58 and blueruins like this.
  16. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    My limit is 4000 now. I buy from American musical and I’ve bought so much I qualify for their 18 month plan now so a 4000 dollar guitar would be less than 250 a month. That’s doable

audept, thunder58, NJDevil and 2 others like this.
  17. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    I don’t have a limit.
    My rule is I only buy what I can truly afford.

TW4990, mrfixitmi, stiv and 11 others like this.
  18. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    $2300.00​

Because there is a Falcon on here I am wanting bad. If I sell a chopper this weekend or a couple guitars I got on CL I will buy it ..

So far I have stopped myself from just pullin the trigger and sell to sell then pull. I have trouble selling if I buy first. Lol

...... so $2300.00

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Yep. Me too. I don't really have a limit. My most expensive might have been the Blue Falcon or my 1958 Les Paul.

Robbie, thunder58 and blueruins like this.
  20. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Not being primarily a guitarist, and now being retired and not gigging, I've never spent more than $500 on a guitar. I always pay cash. I can't justify the cost, especially as the arthritis is curtailing my playing. Actually, I'm thinking about downsizing, tho not too hard.

The only instruments I've spent more than $500 on have been a Hammond B-3 and a Korg SV-1.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice