What's your "guilty pleasure" guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Calvin Lee 2, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Calvin Lee 2

Calvin Lee 2 Electromatic

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    I thought this might be interesting to discuss. Are there any guitars that most people seem to hate that you really love? Or a guitar that most players find very ugly that you think is beautiful? Or one you know is ugly, but love anyway? I'd love to hear from anybody who has a personal "guilty pleasure" guitar.

I've got one that everyone hated so much when it was announced, it was canceled before you could even buy one. I'm talking about the universally despised Gibson Jimi Hendrix Experience guitar:

[​IMG]

I know that Gibson making a strat copy for a Hendrix signature is absolutely insane, and in pretty poor taste, but when I saw it for the first time, I wanted one so badly. It always drove me crazy that the bridge pickup on a strat is slanted with the treble side closer to the bridge, and the bass side further away from the bridge. To me personally, I think it makes way more sense to have it slanted the other way, with the bass side closer to the bridge than the treble side. So when I first saw this weird Gibson strat, I was dying to get my hands on one. The bridge pickup is the main reason I wanted the guitar, but I also really liked the reverse firebird-style headstock, and I liked the oddball body shape (Sorta reminiscent of a fender offset, which I think is kinda cool).

However, now that fender have released these...
    [​IMG]
    ...the Gibson version isn't quite as appealing. But if they had actually gone into production, and it didn't seem like such a slimy business tactic on Gibson's part, I would absolutely have tried to buy one, despite pretty much every other guitarist completely despising them for legitimate reasons.

So how about you fine folks? Do any of you have a "guilty pleasure" guitar? I'd love to hear any stories and see any pictures you might have around this topic.

Charlie westside and blueruins like this.
  2. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I really like the Hagstrom Impala. It is a weird looking beast, but I would just like to have one. I already have one Hagstrom and it is one of the best playing guitars of the many I own. I just think the Impala is cool.

Hagstrom Impala.jpg

3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    My guilty pleasure is a '62 Silverstone 1420 with original DeArmond "mars bar" pickups. It's so guilty I didn't even take pics of it yet. It's not what I would consider a solid build. It oozes cheap, but has lots of character.

Internet pic
    [​IMG]

j.s.c, new6659, RomanS and 5 others like this.
  4. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Nothing really...
    I remember the Gibson (Epipone) thing. It was going to be part of a beginner package, including amp and strap for about £100.
    At that time, the royalties 'the Hendrix estase' were demanding were extortionate, hence the reason Fender didn't do one for so long.
    FWIW, a brand called Vintage had been doing one for a while at the time, making sure there were NO direct references to Hendrix, and way back in the '80s, Schecter made one for Andy Taylor of Duran Duran/Powerstation, so they're not exactly a new idea.

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Also, over the years Fender had already released at least 5 Hendrix tributes/signature white lefty Strat models before the estate was ever involved.

Good grief, I had forgotten how atrocious that Gibson Hendrix was. :eek:

Charlie westside likes this.
  6. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

On those Hendrix tribute guitars, I find it odd that NONE of them incorporate a left handed bridge, a HUGE part of how Hendrix interfaced with the vibrato of his flipped over right handed Stratocaster. Check the Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature series with it's left handed bridge. Stevie got it, and had installed the lefty bridge on his #1. I had one of those SRV Signature Strats back in the day. Wish I hadn't sold it!

Oh, and my guilty guitar pleasure? All of them. I have dozens, far more than I can justify. It's gotten to be ridiculous. Looked into therapy. Looks like just feeding the addiction is cheaper. And more satisfying. :D

7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I was first attracted to Gretsch by a picture of an Astro Jet in a guitar book. The beautiful red and black with the unusual design stirred something in me.

[​IMG]

8. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Maybe it's just me being me, but if I like something I couldn't care less if others don't. Honestly, the goofier or stranger a guitar is the more I tend to like them.

In other news:
    [​IMG]

blueruins, Charlie westside and ronbo like this.
  9. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I'd swear I read that Hendrix preferred the whammy bar at the top.
    <brain engages>

OH, I get it, you're talking about righty guitars and that they should have a left-handed bridge. Good point.

Charlie westside and T Bone like this.
  10. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    IMG_5568.JPG

When people see this one, they often ask me why I have a boat oar on my wall. VERY few people actually like it, but it plays incredibly well, and I think it's just weird enough to be awesome.

11. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Probably a silent guitar of some kind. I've always been intrigued by them yet have never had the opportunity to play one. I think they might be pretty cool. silent guitar.jpg

12. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Agreed. Regardless of looks, mine is a real player

13. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Yes, not saying all should. But a Hendrix model yes, seems right to me. And it does feel quite different, and was my favorite thing about that SRV model I had. Lefty bridge on right handed guitar. Been tempted to just buy a left handed Strat and flip the strings for right handed play. That gets you the same set up Jimi used.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  14. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Wasn't it Les Paul that said people "listen with their eyes."??? I find that to be very true in any number of musical instruments and styles.

15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Just try to take a shredder guitar to jazz night!

(Although Alex Skolnick of Testament is also known for jazz albums. )

shrews824 likes this.
  16. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Exactly!!!

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    9CC24227-C756-4FF0-A73D-C433F0AE9B9A.jpeg
    As I recently shared, this guitar is my guilty pleasure.
    My childhood hero was Randy Rhoads and this reminds me a bit of his Concorde Jackson. I suppose the rarity of this Fender is part of the appeal as well.
    When/if I get mine i will install a Floyd style trem and some Joe Satriani PAF pickups in it to Surf with the Alien.

18. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I fell for this Gretsch in the 80's.
    I once dated a girl who took me to a Rick Springfield concert. Not a big fan of his, but loved. the sound and look of the guitar.
    Gretsch 7682 Super axe

Attached Files:

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Wandrè !

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:eek:o_O:eek::rolleyes::eek::confused::eek::D

No Lefty available (except some few reissue from Eastwood Guitars)... :(
    And I do not speak about the prices... :confused:

A+!

20. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Gibson ES-350, blonde with P-90’s
    Always love the early pictures and video of chuck berry with one
    1B7AB9FE-799D-4233-9C4E-83760828C3C3.jpeg 0F21069C-5FD2-4440-8956-00E3EDE30A4D.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice