Join Gretsch-Talk Today

What's Your Experience With Reissue Products That Have Improvements?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Mar 17, 2017.

What's Your Experience With Reissue Products That Have "Improvements"?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2017.
  1. I wish that they didn't try to fix/reinvent the wheel; it was never broken and sounds worse

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Yeah, I like the changes they made to make it more "modern" and/or reliable

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I have mixed feelings

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    Can you imagine a new 59 Caddy with modern appointments?! Those things would FLY off the line at ANY price - just look at the new Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers! I wish they would build THIS in Australia:
    [​IMG]

TSims1 likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Modern medicine is OK with me. I just want 1950s prices.

blueruins, benjwri and Rob Williams like this.
  3. Rob Williams

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
  4. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    One of the Ten Commandments of sound engineering! :D

5. Rob Williams

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    Is the first "Thou shall constantly fiddle with thine Ipad"? lol

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    One day, I hope Gretsch makes a Tenny with two (2) Hilos at ~3k ohms each, just like the old days, as opposed to 4.0k ohms (bridge) and 3.5k ohms (neck). Until then, we have pickup winding/rewinding companies who charge (gulp!) ~$60/coil.

upload_2017-3-17_16-43-49.jpeg

Otherwise, it is a well-built, nice-playing guitar.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    MikeSchindler likes this.
  7. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I owned an HT. It was a 2005 and I ended up selling it. To be honest the HiLos were ok . I found the guitar to be a comfortable player with a great neck and feel but to me it didn't have that vintage HiLo sound I had hoped for...almost kind of sterile , underpowered but bright. I could coax a close Beatles For Sale out of it but it kind of fell short...many adjustments later sold it. Nice finish and detail though. I owned and played quite a few Gretsch guitars ...my two favorites which I still own and play are my 2005 SSLVO and my 6122-62 SP ( TV Classic in neck and alnicos HS Filter in bridge.)

ZackyDog likes this.
  8. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Any one who has a blanket opinion on this is speaking from bias. That's just my opinion of course.

9. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I want an electric self driving car that looks like an old Mercedes Benz with those round lights.

TSims1 likes this.
  10. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    If everyone covets a 59 6120 then why don't they make one exactly like they did back in the day. Identical to the original.

I would like to have a '63 Bassman but have no desire if it is not an exact down to the type of solder used, copy.

We buy reissues because that's what's offered. New anyways. Yeah you can buy a 50 year old and put new stuff in it but it ain't the same.

11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    ...and there are special things:

IMG_1824.JPG

Looks 1950's, sounds 1950's, built today.

Rob Williams and ZackyDog like this.
  12. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    And sometimes new stuff and old stuff together is a great combination :p

IMG_1825.jpg

13. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I voted "mixed feelings" because the option "it depends" was missing ;) ... because some improvements are great, while others are the opposite.

ZackyDog likes this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    "Reissue with improvements" is a contradiction in itself. Either it is a reissue that is true to the original or it is an advancement on the original design. Whether something is an advancement lies in the eyes of the beholder: Is it an advancement on practicability, cost-efficiancy, environment-pollution or sound?
    Gibson sold their faded -worn series of guitars as an improvement on feel and look. In the end it was a cost-cutting measurement in the finish-department. That is not an improvement for the customer IMHO.

wabash slim likes this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I prefer new toilette paper over the old stuff, i tried the reissue too ( kinda chafing):D Screenshot_2017-03-18-08-03-27-1.png

Joe90, Rob Williams and loudnlousy like this.
  16. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Country Gent

Jul 19, 2012
    Twin Cities
    You are actually barking up the wrong tree. There are a lot of small botique builders offering great clones of classic amps. Mark from Victoria Amps even had thousands of capacitors and resistors custom made to 50's specs to use in his amps. But his amps are expensive because they use high quality parts and American labor.

The Fender and Vox and Marshal made the decision to manufacture in China and Vietnam because customers don't want to pay the real price of a hand wired, high quality amp or guitar. Consumers want cheap stuff. Even people on this forum, who are allegedly tone hounds ***** about how expensive botique stuff is.

Well that's what you get. So don't blame the corporations that are trying to make affordable gear available to you. You have other choices but you have to pay the price.

Gotone and benjwri like this.
  17. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Country Gent

Jul 19, 2012
    Twin Cities
    Converted to today's dollars 50's prices are on par with boutique guitar and amp prices today.

MotorCentaur and Stefan like this.
  18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Real price? What does that mean?

High quality? I have a hand-wired, made in Vietnam VOX amp and it's very high quality.

you said: Consumers want cheap stuff?
    To me, the word cheap makes an implication about the quality. I know I don't want that but, I do want something that is affordable.

19. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Country Gent

Jul 19, 2012
    Twin Cities
    Your AC Handwired is more than double the price of a stock Chinese Vox with PCB wiring. So you answered your own question. The real price of a high quality hand wired amp is higher than a similar but cheaply built model. And it's still built in Asia. They are just trying to satisfy market demand and no one wants to pay $3K for quality gear.

20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I still don't know what the heck you mean by "real" price? Is there something artificial about other prices?

When you say "cheaply built", I am deducing that you are talking about VOX's amps that are made in China? If so, there is nothing "cheap" about them. They are relatively affordable, good quality amps. :rolleyes:

MikeSchindler likes this.