Join Gretsch-Talk Today

What's your dream guitar

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by musicman100, Mar 11, 2018.

1. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    I'm so jealous, Tony.

2. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    Yup, the short scale is definitely tricky.

If one is a Beatle/John Lennon fanatic (I am) then, yeah, the 325 is a must have. But my other Rics surely get more playing time than my short 325. A 350 may be a better choice for a daily player.

3. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    John is my favorite Beatle, so I understand completely the love for that guitar.

Don't know where you are in New York, but I live close to Alto Music in Middletown, NY (in Orange County). They've got a Ric 325 which I tried. I think if you play it enough, you become accustomed to it. I can easily go from a 24" scale to a 25.5" scale, but the Ric 325 is only a 20.75" scale. That does take a little more time to get used to.

Regardless, yours is beautiful.

4. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    It's actually three things about the short scale that are troublesome:

1. the space between the frets is minimal...especially down the neck close to the guitar's body. Fingers get all jumbled up trying to fret difficult chords

2. your left arm is too close to your body. I didn't realize this would happen, but think about it, the guitar is so tiny that your left arm never is outstretched where it usually is. Instead it is pinned to your body most of the time.

3. the three pickups get in the way. Because the body is so tiny, the three pickups are jammed together. When you strum, you invariably hit one of those pickups.

Being a John (and Rickenbacker) fanatic I had to have a 325. But it is a weird thing to play. Yes, I have gotten used to it, but that doesn't mean it is any easier.

I have three Rics, and the 12 string I have is also a bit tricky to play (string spacing is non-existent; if you fret the A strings, you end up fretting the D strings, too). Rics certainly are a required taste. The six string model 330 is a dream to play. Some others...not so dreamy.

However, though Rics can be quirky and difficult, I wouldn't trade these in for any other guitars on planet Earth:

[​IMG]

5. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    My dream guitar, meaning a guitar I'd dreamed of owning but concluded I never would, is a '36 Gibson ES-150. The first commercially-successful electric guitar, the model guitar Charlie Christian played, but mostly, it's the guitar with a pickup that just has that sound. Early on, I'd concluded I'd never get one because there aren't a whole lot of 'em around, and if one became available, I wouldn't be able to afford it. So it stayed a dream. But a friend found one, and sold it to me at a very reasonable price. I had to sell my 6120 Duane Eddy model to pay for it, but it was worth it. Sometimes dreams come true.

[​IMG]

Trash Kidd, fraz and larryb like this.
  6. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    That is quite a collection! I love Rics. Obviously I love the 325, but the 330 with the stove knobs is just fantastic.

I used to have a 360-12, but it was so hard to play it cleanly because of the narrow nut width (1-5/8"?). I traded it in and bought a Fano JM12, but in the end, the Fano didn't do it for me. It was a Jazzmaster shaped guitar with Fralin P90s, but the pickups weren't jangly like the Ric. More importantly, it was strung like a normal 12 string. I just prefer the Ric stringing better. Ended up trading in the Fano and getting a Ric 1993 Plus in Rubyglo. That has a wider nut, so it is a little easier to play. (Still not that easy.)

My dream Ric (that I bought) is a 381 in Mapleglo. Got it used about 13 years ago for $1500. That looks like a great deal today. Also have a 620 and a 360. I guess you could say I share your love for Rics.

7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Gorgeous!!!

8. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    Come n play ours if u want lol

9. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    That is a great guitar! It's in great shape, especially considering it's age (82 years old).

Just curious...
    It has such a nice aged patina. Do you just leave it as is (say if you sweat on it), or do you wipe it down. I would imagine you would never try to bring it up to "showroom new" shine.

10. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Although it's been cleaned (inside and out; I took it in to my regular tech and he delicately removed the pots, jack, etc. and cleaned them all), I don't polish it except to wipe off any sweat I might impart on it. Like you say, it's 82 years old and I could only hope to look this good IF I make it to 82, but it's seen its share of bumps and bruises so it's not a museum piece. Another friend has a '37 that's in much better condition, but even it has signs of "character." Luckily from a distance you don't see all that stuff. And it's got the sound so I'm not hung up on cosmetics. The case wasn't gig-worthy (though very cool looking) so now it lives in a Hiscox flight case.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I don't have one dream guitar any more but rather would have a selection of pieces from different guitars that I've played, owned or heard about over the years. Of course mixing together a bunch of unrelated features may not work all that well.

So I chose only one model, it'd be this one, in the center, with a piezo pickup added to the mix. (The one to the left is pretty good too.)

[​IMG]

(Yep, I already own it!)

audept likes this.
  12. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    You got a 381 -- the Cadillac of Rickenbacker guitars -- for just $1,500??? Let me guess, the guitar came with no neck and no body...just the strings, right?

Wow. A 381 in MapleGlo. Those guitars have to be bought in either FireGlo or MapleGlo to show off that incredible wood carving of a 381. I won't be owning one of those (unless I, too, I can get one for $1,500), but I definitely have a 620 in my sights. That will be my final Ric purchase.

13. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    It was the perfect storm that got me that guitar. I was at Alto Music and told my friend (who is in charge of the high end guitars) that I was looking for a Ric 381. Just a few weeks went by, and somebody traded one in to get something else (stupid, right?). He gave me a call and I bought it. It is nearly flawless. It was either bought in 2004 or 2005.

The only bad news about the 381 is that it is not made from highly figured wood like so many of the photos I have seen of other 381's. It is also more clear than amber. I think I have a picture of it on my home computer. If I do, I will post it tonight. Still pretty darn nice with the German Carve on the front and back, and double bound with the checker board binding.

In the future, I might end up with a 330 and a 350 to round out the collection. Great guitars, but a bit quirky.

Dreamtime likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ....... you got that right Eman

15. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    More badass Motoraves!!!!!
    ave1.jpg ave2.jpg

16. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    Here is the aforementioned Ric 381. Thought I would throw in photos of my 620 and 1993 Plus as well (since we are having a Ric Love Fest).

Rickenbacker 381 #1.jpg Rickenbacker 381 #2.jpg Rickenbacker 620 #1.jpg Rickenbacker 620 #2.jpg Rickenbacker 1993 Plus 2 mod.jpg

JC higgy and audept like this.
  17. Rock Out

Rock Out Newbie

Mar 9, 2018
    Ohio
    audept likes this.
  18. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
    My dream guitar must have following specs:
    - hollowbody
    -25,5 scale
    - 1,75" / 44,5 mm nut width
    in order to be comfortable for my "bassist sausage-like" finger and my hand ( gloves size No 11) :) .
    And a guitar must be in orange colour ;).
    So the choice is not so numerous... and af course this one is my dream guitar:
    Gretsch G6122-1959 HOF Chet Atkins Hall of Fame Country Gent :
    But ... actual price >3K € is unfortunately not for my wallet

CGHOF2.jpg
    CGHOF1.jpg

19. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    It' hard to say but I'm going with this.
    Everything a gretsch should be downloadfile-32.jpg

Trash Kidd and captainmur like this.
  20. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    LORD, HAVE MERCY! What is that?