What's the Vintage market like?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by thisoneused, Jan 25, 2019.

It seems as though the vintage guitar market has more climbs and steep drops than a roller coaster...
    What's everyone's opinion of the market right now?
    From time to time, I'll search for two of my guitars online (For Sale), but never find early versions like mine..
    Sometimes I'll see super high list prices on something close to my stuff, but never know what actual sold prices are..

Any thoughts??

1. Far To Many

Far To Many Gretschie

Dec 31, 2018
    Upstate, NY
    I do agree, when you have a "best offer" sale on Ebay or Reverb, they don't tell you what it sold for. That for me, the average enthusiast, makes it hard to follow.

I like when Reverb has the history graph for certain models though. It's nice to see over a span of time what's happening....even if it doesn't seem to make sense.

There will always be popular and in demand models, as well as those that aren't. I'm a pretty low end collector (nothing over 2k...yet). Everybody is into something, when it comes to buying and selling anything, you just need two parties that are willing to meet on a price.

Also peoples tastes change alot too. I'm going through that now, flipping stuff for items I wouldn't have even considered 10 years ago.

thisoneused likes this.
  2. I'm looking to update my homeowners insurance policy, and boy it would be nice to know how much I should insure these guitars for..
    They are heirlooms for me,,, but everything worth something has a price tag... I just never know what that is.

3. Far To Many

Far To Many Gretschie

Dec 31, 2018
    Upstate, NY
    Do you have to list specific things for your policy?

If they just need an agreed value, even completed listings whether they show the actual sale price or not should be a good indicator. It means just as I said above, you have two interested parties that meet on a price. The initial price at the very least attracted that buyer before the actual deal was made.

Just my 2 cents.

4. All very true...

5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    What guitars are you looking for values on? Maybe we can help.

6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I'm still trying to figure out what vintage is . The other day I saw something on Facebook Market Place that was produced in the 1990's . The seller claimed it was " vintage "
    ( @thisoneused not saying your guitars are not vintage my friend )

rcboals likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    The market is quite erratic.
    Different brands and models seem to move in and out of the focus of the buyers.
    Has to do with the popularity of artists bringing the model into the spotlight (think of someone like James Bay and his vintage Epiphone).
    I witnessed that there are different demands and prices even in different countries. (E.g.: There is litterally no market for Teiscos etc. in Europe).
    Generally I would estimate that most of the outlandish prices asked for vintage guitars are not the final word.
    Every now and then I stumble across very reasonably priced vintage guitars be it Fender, Gibson or Gretsch.
    We have to keep in mind that the generation of babyboomers will be probably the last to buy into that market.
    I expect drastically declining prices on vintage guitars in 10 to 15 years.

new6659, mrfixitmi and Alberta_Slim like this.
  8. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Interestingly I stumbled on the true definition of the word the other day which technically means "wine year". So that guitar would be "of a 1990's vintage", but certainly in our opinions, not a vintage guitar. There are no hard fast rules whether guitar related or pretty much anything else "collectible". The specific communities just try to figure it out.

Alberta_Slim and thunder58 like this.
  9. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    It really is hard to tell for some guitars/amps. Here in Arizona, things sell for a bit less than in California just one state over, so it definitely depends on where you are living. I feel like in the area I am in, my vintage gear gets tons of interest when I list it for sale (at good, fair prices) but nobody ever wants to drop the cash. It’s hard to find people that want to spend $2000 or higher on a guitar or amp. Most of the guitar shops out here end up selling on reverb and shipping it out of state. However, when it comes to trades, I can definitely get my value or even higher. Selling straight up, not so much.

There is a guy who owns a shop in Orange County California who comes out to Arizona and buys vintage and high end gear from all the guys out here and sells it for nearly twice the price out there. And he actually sells it too..

10. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    It’s a bloody mind field in general it’s as simple as that

11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Depending on how valuable they are, you may need a valuation from Gruhn or similar to tell you what it's worth. For most typical guitars however, start with the Blue Book. That will give you typical retail prices.

https://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/#/Index

thisoneused likes this.
  12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Buying and selling vintage guitars is a good way to make a million, if you start with 2 million. :D

Seamus, Robbie and dak55 like this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Smart on his part, actually. He's willing to drive to AZ and hunt for good deals, then profits from the sale----akin to American Pickers. Buy low, sell high---basic business model.

I've always been tickled by the line, "It's worth $XXXX to a collector." You just need to find a collector willing to pay your price when you need to sell it. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    6124Bassman likes this.
  14. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Sage advice here. My insurance company required a legitimate appraisal of each instrument from a reputable and documented vintage guitar appraiser (i.e Gruhn). I wouldn't bother trying to cover every MIM Tele you might have, and your standard homeowners would probably cover those just fine (replacement value)... but anything of real value you might need (as I did) a rider on your homeowners policy.

thisoneused and rcboals like this.
  15. Exactly.... You've hit the nail on the head as to what I'm dealing with...

16. I'm not selling anything...
    This is for the purpose of insurance... Insurers will take your money even if I insure for 10,000... They won't be so willing to pay you 10,000 if something were to happen..

17. Well, only two guitars needing insured...
    They are both family heirlooms purchased new by my Father...
    One of them is his first guitar; 1954 Gibson ES175 that is likely one of the finest examples you could come across.. No nicks or gouges in the neck, no missing varnish on the back... CLEAN!!!
    The other is the 1973 Super Chet in near mint condition with all of the original bits and pieces "O.K card, polish cloth,tools, hard case" ...
    I've found examples of both at places like REVERB and others, but none of them are as nice as mine and the descriptions always refer to them as FANTASTIC condition vintage guitars...

Thanks

18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Pictures, please!!

19. I'll have to get back with you on the 54 gibson, because I'm at the Virginia rental property...
    This is the Gretsch though..

Attached Files:

6124Bassman, Andrew Griffin and Henry like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice