What's next, Karaoke as a band?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by hogrider16, Jun 7, 2019.

1. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I saw this ad on Craigslist. It's sad how far the "entertainment" industry has fallen. This is just one small step above Karaoke, in my opinion anyway.

This is the jist of the ad:

"I am getting backing tracks and want a guitarist to play/lead as I sing. I can book and manage online presence. My band played 60 gigs last year. Just looking to create something different and more mobile, theatrical too, like this video. I’m in my early 40s. Don’t care about age, just want great player and understands that WE ARE PUTTING ON A SHOW."

I'd be so embarrassed to get on stage and do this.

https://martinsburg.craigslist.org/muc/d/martinsburg-guitarist-needed/6885598756.html

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    yea , sounds a little creepy

hogrider16 likes this.
  3. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    That's basically how I practice in my living room lol
    Can't imagine anyone wanting to pay to watch ( or watch for free for that matter)

Waxhead and hogrider16 like this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Since at least 30 years a local "musician" makes very good money by running a backing tape doing a little rhythm on his small drum-set and singing to it.

Another common practise is running a midi-keyboard with pre-programmed songs and faking playing it.

The triple crown setting is running that programmed keyboard an faking the text, too.
    Like "1 ò clock, 2 ò clock, 3 o`clock rock, 4 o`clock, 5 ò clock, 6 o`clock rock.....lalala lalala, lalalalalalala, w`re gone rock around the clock tonight lalalalalalala...

Yes, that`s true. The"entertainer" sang on each tune the text of the chorusline, only. The rest was on "lalalalala".
    A 4 hours "show".
    It was disgusting but noone seemed to notice it.

Alcohol obviously not only makes people blind but deaf, too.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    hogrider16 likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Many artists these days play backing tracks, no?

I can certainly see the appeal. It isnt easy finding 2 or 3 reliable musicians who can all make the same schedule. Then you have to split the pay with them and lit up with their drama.

I've now played out with a DJ spinning and me and a bass player accompanying. But I dont consider myself a pro musician.

The guy is out to entertain and have fun, not prove himself to us. If performer and audience are happy, I dont see why we cant be happy for them. Unless you're just a self absorbed snob.

MotorCentaur and Flouswa like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I remember going to a disco (only once---please forgive me. It was my wife's idea). It sounded reasonably lifelike in that they had a live drummer accompanying the recordings. Drum dynamics are nearly impossible to really duplicate on a record or tape. It sort of worked OK.

As for backing tracks----most of the music on shows like American Bandstand and other similar shows of the '60s used backing tracks while the band lip synced. Lip syncing and backing tracks are far from rare. Most boy bands, K-Pop, urban yodelers, and vocal groups use backing tracks.

If you aren't playing instruments, you're NOT a band---you're singing, from a solo act on. Look at the proliferation of "talent" shows. Very little in the way of people playing instruments, and they're only about the singers.

Flouswa and hogrider16 like this.
  7. andreww1962

andreww1962 Gretschie

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    I don't see a problem with it. Its tough for weekend bands to find gigs that pay enough to even make it worth while. Two guys is a much more viable business model. 90% of people only give a damn about guitar and vocalists anyway.

MotorCentaur and Flouswa like this.
  8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Just starting to use tracks/in ears and the click. Not as simple as it would seem.

section2, MotorCentaur and Flouswa like this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Well, an instrument is a tool, and a musical instrument is a tool for making music. The human voice is therefore a valid musical instrument. I agree a band is more than one person, so a singer + guitar + backing track = band.

10. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    If you can't respond without name calling, please don't respond at all. I didn't insult you and there is no reason to get snotty because you don't agree with my opinion.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  11. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Back in the early 80's we had a guy in town that had his bass on the floor, rigged to a contraption he built that allowed him to play basic bass patterns with his bare feet ( stepping on pedals, not plucking with his toes).
    He also had a drum machine going and played extremely good guitar and sang very well, all at once.
    It was amazing to watch and fun to listen to as he was quite good.
    He had regular gigs around town ( college town) and every month he had 5 or 6 new tunes.
    Not anything like what was described in the OP but this thread reminded me of him..

MotorCentaur likes this.
  12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Let's keep it friendly, gents.

13. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia

Sadly, it is this attitude which will ensure that it is harder and harder to find 2 or 3 reliable musicians to enjoy music with, and eventually the death of live music at the grass roots level.

Yes, in our country more and more singers are realizing that even the guitar or keyboard are unnecessary and carrying a gig with just computer generated backing tracks.

Sadly again your attitude as a musician legitimizes the demise of the live band and portrays you as one who believes the guitar is in some way superior to the bass, piano, sax and drums which actually can carry a gig without - you.

14. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I know of many places in NYC, Hoboken, Brooklyn, and a few places out in Long Island are doing some pretty cool things that both get people into the music and feature guitar, drum kit, looper, vocals, etc... Actually becoming very big for happy hours.

People like it because there is a "live" feel to it without the immense noise of a full band drowning out the possibility of conversation. I know of a dual acoustic act that people enjoy, another where a solo vocalist playing guitar w/ a loop pedal has gained really popular responses.

I can provide at least another dozen examples I've heard but the cool thing? Well, it seems like the most positive responses are when these acts play some older songs you'd never guess "twenty-somethings" would like.

15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  16. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    I really dislike the use of tracks and this kind of karaoke generally annoys me. I walked into a local bar (where my acoustic trio plays) about a year ago and there was a duo playing. Right away I noticed they were using tracks because there was a whole lot going on. They were good singers, but it all felt cheesy and bland to me. Then the guitar player pretended to play the solo. And it was cringe inducing (to me). So I left. Just not my thing.

Having said that, if they and their fans are happy it doesn't particularly bother me. I just don't like it. The day I need to fake band members to entertain an audience is the day I stop playing music.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    A few years ago my band that played live for over 30 years decided to call it quits.
    Why because music is the only business where many of the employers want to pay the band what bands were making in the 1970s.
    I was lucky that for most of the time I made enough money to survive and keep doing what I loved.
    So after a few years I was wanting to play live again so my brother and I decided to go the duo route. It only took a few shows to realize that playing acoustic guitar for 3 hours is a big bore to me.
    So we decided that we wanted to use electric guitars, keyboards, etc.
    My brother was the drummer in our band and I played bass, keyboards and guitar along with the two of us both singers in our live band.
    So him and I went in the studio - he played drums, I played bass. We cut about 70 tracks, no midi tracks, no karaoke tracks - all live performances. It was actually a lot of work since the two of us had to learn all the parts in each of the songs.
    When we went out to play we both played guitars and both of us switched off playing keyboards. There were a few songs such as The Hollies, Beatles and Bee Gees that needed a third vocal so I added that to the track. When we go out we sound like a 4 piece band. It doesn't sound fake because the tracks are all us - the human elements come through.
    It took me a while to get into it because yes I do miss the full band setting but the people seem to like it and we get good crowds.
    I would never go out without practice like a lot of the weekend warriors bands do. I can't believe how many train wrecks I hear - that's not for me.
    Musicians want to play and today it just gets harder and harder for players to make any money doing it. No one wants to practice and it shows when they get on stage. People don't want to hear a lame band live on otherwise.
    I come from the era where we had huge sound and light systems, 3 roadies, a sound man and a light man. Not many places pay that kind of money today and I'm too old to lift all that crap without a crew. If I can't do a show the way I'm use to doing it (and the way our following are use to seeing it) I rather not bother.
    The places to play are too small to fit that kind of production.
    So the full band only plays fairs and stuff like that.
    In the beginning my opinion was very much like Hogrider 16 but The way I do it is a compromise and it's takes a lot of work and practice to pull it off but we have had a bit of fun doing it.
    The live music scene as we knew it has been dead for 20 years.
    But music isn't dead and people are finding ways to do it. It might not be what we wish it could be but at least there's something.

englishman and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  18. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    I think music scenes vary a lot. In Detroit, I have no trouble making decent money playing music with a band. I play both covers and originals in several different bands, plus a duo and solo stuff. Cover bands still get good pay if you're good. Originals is always hit or miss, but my band plays venues with good sound techs and we only play a set on a bill.

I don't have trouble playing solo and duo shows with just an acoustic guitar, but there is an audience for that hear and I interact with the audience a lot. Those are some of my favorite shows.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice