Join Gretsch-Talk Today

What's my next pedal?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by J Bird, Feb 4, 2017.

1. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    I'm running a 5120 into a behringer vintage tube monster>blues driver (bd2)>Belle Epoch>135w twin reverb.
    I want growl, not fizz for roots blues and boogie (and surf and rockabilly).

On Craigslist, I'm looking at a jhs modded ts9, a deluxe Liverpool and a tube driver (genz Benz taiwan(?) version). Asking prices are $85, $200 and $200 respectively.

I enjoy playing rhythm and so I am not looking for anything that only howls massively.

I also see a hand rook for $100. Suggestions?

2. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Joyo ultimate drive and a good bottle of rum, and keep the change.

thunder58, J Bird and Ricochet like this.
  3. JimmyB1982

JimmyB1982 Country Gent

Jul 5, 2012
    Saugus, CA
    I've had the Mojo Hand Rook, and it's got a great growl to it! You can get a pretty fair number of sounds out of it and $100 is a good price too. Of the options that would be my pick :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lizardkinged likes this.
  4. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I agrere. Of those options I'd pick that.

Or look into some newer wampler stuff.

JimmyB1982 likes this.
  5. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Just don't let it get out of hand!

pedals4.jpg

6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
  7. JimmyB1982

JimmyB1982 Country Gent

Jul 5, 2012
    Saugus, CA
    Well, if you're going to branch out from the pedals in CL, definitely get a Brain! And check out the Sleeper and JR Barnyard from Nocturne too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tele295 and Henry like this.
  8. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    OCD

i am gassing for a Belle epoch Deluxe but I think it is going to run about $350. I could the guitar I am watching on eBay for that!

DrSetzer likes this.
  9. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    I do need a brain!
    In the meantime, I took y'alls advice and got the hand rook ($90). And, as I had some time to kill, I jumped on a fresh CL post and got a joyo American for $25, just for the heck of it.
    These should satisfy my sudden onset gas, for a while.
    Next, though, I think I might get a tremolo pedal. My twin's tremolo is nice enough, but I'd like to hear some other wave forms. There was a Caitlinbread callisto for $119 at GC. What's as good or better? Or, is the boss tr2 any good?

10. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Flint for tremolo. Love it. All three teems sound great. It also has a reverb side that sounds good (i use it when I want to pretend to okay surf).

JimmyB1982 likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Uhm, isnt the Callisto a chorus?
    Boss is always good to get your feet wet. Or a Joyo or Mooer.
    Maybe a T-Rex Tremster, which has a good vintage vibe and the option for a couple of wave forms.

12. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Timmy

DrSetzer likes this.
  13. ennisphd

ennisphd Gretschie

Sep 15, 2010
    Alberta
    +1 for the Strymon Flint. I have a vintage '65 Fender Band Master that has what I thought was the most beautiful tremolo I'd ever heard. Since I got the Flint I use that, rather than the amp's on board tremolo. It's that good.

14. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Man......listening to the description of your desires, the Brain would be the FIRST thing I buy.

As for tremolo, I really and truly love the Keeley Dyna-Trem. It's a mainstay on my board. Can be used very simply, or you can take advantage of the dynamic aspects and multiple trem types. Great great pedal.

National19 likes this.
  15. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    For a while now, I've had half a mind to get a brain.
    One just popped up here in b/s/t sub forum. And I just spent all my gas money (that isn't true, but that is what I'm telling myself).

Do you ever have the feeling your brain is fast at work while you're asleep? Yeah, no, not me, except last night I had that feeling. I was thinking up brain puns and woke up with 'stray cat strut' running through my head. And this...

Tavo, if you ever make a tremolo pedal, maybe call it the 'brainwave.' If you do, perhaps I could sample one. In fact, you had better license that name before I do.

The Callisto is marketed as a chorus/trem. Two more Catalinbread trems just popped up on our b/s/t sub.

Right now, though, I've got to work with what I've got. I'm sure my gas will be back soon enough, no need to encourage it unnecessarily.

16. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Boss GE-7. You'll wonder how you ever managed without one. Cheaper and more effective than a pickup change.

Ricochet likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Tavo has a trem called nail head.

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com/products/the-nailhead

18. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Well that sound like a delicious trem, for sure. That'd give me a valco and I'd have the fender onboard.

Post sound-check update for the Rook and joyo American:
    The rook is taking some tweaking to dial in a full sound. It might become an always-on basically unity pedal, maybe.
    The American is freaking really good. I think it really establishes that I love a 5E3 overdriven tone.

What Nocturne pedal does the '57 deluxe the best? I think I should just start saving for a local clone builder to build me a sweet 5E3 combo.

19. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Hey somebodyelseuk, that takes me back to about 20 years ago. Shortly after I got my twin, I picked up a sweet 32(?) band rack eq. It sat on top of the Twin for a number of years. If I recall, I got rid of it (and other gear) because, at the time, I got tired of not having a true bypass. I do miss that eq, especially since I'm now beginning to understand and appreciate a buffered signal.

It's funny, right now, I have four drives in a row, all with a small amount of gain over unity. I've been switching each on and off to compare and contrast. At the end of my sound check I switched them all on... Best warm consistent feedback, ever.

The only reason I'd be hesitant getting a 5E3 is that I have to have my Fender cleans.

Can someone school me on pedal order. Two drives with true bypass and three band eq's, the rook (2 band eq)(no info on bypass or draw, etc.) and the bd-2 (one tone knob). Certainly, I'll experiment with the order myself, including the buffered belle epoch, but what is the conventional wisdom?

20. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Strymon lover here , no mater what the effect