Join Gretsch-TalkToday

What's a good song that uses the bigsby?

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by jallawalla, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jallawalla

jallawalla Electromatic

I've just got a gretsch and never had a guitar with a trem on it before.

I was having a dabble with setzer's version of sleepwalk, but do you have any other suggestions for something that is fun to play and easy to learn?

I don't mind the style...I would imagine blues/country/light rock are going to be in the territory.

...and can you point me at a tab or youtube lesson for it.

Thanks

2. 54Memphis

54Memphis Gretschie

you could have a look at surf music, there are tons of great numbers such as F.B.I., secret agent man, Apache, Walk don´t run... just to mention a few.

And they are very easy to play, you will find a lot of tabs on the www.

3. MacStevenXIII

MacStevenXIII Synchromatic

The Quakes covering Killing Moon

My band Wicked Whiskey, I use the bigsby a lot throughout this song, just about every time I hit the first chord at the beginning of each verse and especially the solo.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ripley1046

Ripley1046 Synchromatic

All of them.

I use my Bigsby all the time. It drives my bandmates nuts sometimes, but it's just to fun to pass up!

6. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

7. Thunderball

Thunderball Synchromatic

[​IMG]

Billy Duffy of The Cult used his Bigsby on his Gretsch on just about everything he ever played in the early Cult songs. Get the first two Cult albums and hear Gretsch/Bigsby heaven.

Here's Duffy and The Cult when they were called The Death Cult. The first 35 seconds of this song is pure Bigsby nirvana. Cool thing about it is it clearly demonstrates two techniques of the Bigsby - pushing down or pulling up on it. The note dropping is Duffy down on his Bigsby, the note rising Duffy pulls up hard on the Bigsby. Easy lick to play (A-C-G; A-C-G-F# fingered on the low E,A,D strings) and it is great practice for your Bigsby technique. Also gives your Bigsby and strings a great workout. Crank your reverb and have fun with this lick. I always play it just to test out my Bigsby.

8. Big Ron

Big Ron Synchromatic

Yeah there are lots of songs, but think about working with the Bigsby to be musical and not just creating random fluctuation in frequencies. Raise what you play to a different note and try to hit the correct pitch of the new note. You can practice by ear or you can practice with a tuner so you can see what you are trying to hear. Practice with notes and then go to combinations of notes and then chords. A Bigsby really won't consistently bend chords in pitch but that's the idea.

Big Ron

9. Arfer MO

Arfer MO Synchromatic

Peter Gunn by the great Duane Eddy.

10. falzoony

falzoony Gretschie

Summertime blues.

11. jallawalla

jallawalla Electromatic

Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions.

I'm british and the wrong age (no such thing?) and so maybe surprisingly I spent a couple of teenage years listening to duane eddy and eddie cochrane so those suggestions are most welcome. I also had a shadows greatest hits album I played til it was worn out so that's also a good suggestion I should have thought of.

I'm going to give the thing a good old go this weekend!

And to the person who said it has to be musical. You are so right. There's no point in just wiggling it about for the hell of it.

Cheers,
    Allen