Whatcha workin' on???

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Flouswa, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I feel like I haven't been around in ages, but it's been a crazy couple of months. Screwed my knees up a bit with a pair of crap tennis shoes (which then resulted in an issue with my back), puppy was spayed and was sick for weeks after the surgery, busy rehearsing and playing open mics and two gigs, and then...well, we all know what happened next. It's been hard not being able to rehearse with my duo partner, she had been dealing with a cold going into this and her voice was trashed, hopefully tomorrow we will be able to try and do something via the internet. Fingers crossed!

In the meantime, I've been working on a couple of different things. Was working on the solo in The Struts song "Mary Go Round"--I suck at solos but that was one I really wanted to learn and eventually I'll get it sounding good enough to play in public. I also worked on "1979" by the Smashing Pumpkins. At the moment I'm really concentrating on "Howl" by Biffy Clyro, it's a song I've wanted to learn for ages and I finally felt like I was good enough to give it a try. It's coming along, don't know if I'll ever perform it, maybe, who knows?!

What is everyone else working on at the moment?

Here's the video for "Howl" in case you've never heard it. Love these guys, MON THE BIFF! (and there's a Gretsch!)

EssEll, Jena, pmac11 and 7 others like this.
  2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I have been on a jump/swing blues rockabilly kick as of late.

3. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Just about done with George Harrison's "Here Comes The Sun". A bit of cleaning up to do. A fun song. Very appropriate lyrics with spring here now and more than ever we sure need some sunshine in our lives. We're in a war and all we have to do is stay home friends....our soldiers are on the front lines. Stay safe.

GlenP, TubeLife and Flouswa like this.
  4. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Buenos Noches From A Lonely Room (she Wore Red Dresses) by Dwight Yoakam

Echocat23, TSims1, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Revisiting (and trying to learn) some of my favorite guitar solos: Lights. (Journey), Baby Please Don’t Go (Them), She’s a Woman (Beatles), Hello Mary Lou (great James Burton solo break) White Rabbit (Jeff Airplane- very tasty guitar intro). Also have picked up my mandolin, thinking I might learn to play it... someday...maybe. Anyway, music is keeping me busy and more or less sane. Yes, these songs are all over 40 years old, but so am I. Wanna make something of it? :cool:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    EssEll, Flouswa, GlenP and 2 others like this.
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Dang, you reminded me I never did finish up Baby Please Don't Go. And...”Them” was/is my favorite version.

7. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    All the riffs are pretty easy. What I find difficult is remembering their proper place and sequence and in time when trying to play along with original. :rolleyes:

8. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Almost Cut My Hair, though I'm only letting my freak flag fly because my barber shop is closed, and when it opens I'll get a haircut because I feel like I owe it to my barber.

Thanks for the Biffy video, @Flouswa. I discovered that band when I got my first bass guitar a couple years ago and it happened to be a James Johnston signature model. Cool band, and the Gretsch in that video looks the part.

Flouswa and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  9. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    This. I've been working through some Tommy Harkenrider lessons, among others. Learning a lot of new chord voicings and at least a few Cliff Gallup licks (in slow motion :confused:)

10. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I don’t think my hair has been this long since 1992, when I spent a year in Europe and was afraid to ask for a haircut in a foreign language!

new6659 likes this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

My issue was not the riffs, it was creating a stand alone guitar version of the song that sounded complete.

12. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I’m not there yet in my music skills. :p Gotta get the fundamentals down first.

13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    apparently neither am I :D

14. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Learning how to order groceries online:eek:

CaliforniaSlim, Jena, Gregor and 3 others like this.
  15. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Gretschie

Jan 14, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I like that Biffy Clyro song!!! Thanks for that! I used to have a Simon Neil Squier Strat that I never should have let go.

I have been dissecting Red Hot Chil Peppers songs from the By The Way and Stadium Arcadium albums. I just find Frusciantes playing and creativity inspiring.

16. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I am getting hooked on effect pedal demos, trying to find a good set of pedals that work together for my first real board. So many options, combos, I am trying to get away from multi-effects, I have collected a few for starters and have a few on the way. Then I will need to get the accessories to power them and route them all together. Should be a fun process, a never ending process I am thinking. Being an acoustic guy all I ever really use is a stereo chorus, but planning to do some more electric guitar work with my new amp, which really needs no pedals at all to sound great. But, I am getting absorbed (assimilated? resistance is useless, but impedance must be matched!) into the pedal hunt regardless.

17. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

18. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Okay, not sure what happened there and for some reason it won't let me edit, but cool about the bass!

19. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Very cool on the Strat! I think he's such a great musician, I was introduced to their music by a friend who was a DJ at a radio station in Manchester, UK. Been a fan every since. And Frusciante--an amazing guitarist! I've been listening to a lot of The Cars lately, I've always been a fan, but have really been appreciating and paying closer attention to Elliott Easton's playing on their albums.

blueruins likes this.
  20. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    The Cars induction into the R&R HOF was my wake up to Easton's playing. Must practice pentatonic scales more often.;)

Jena, pmac11, blueruins and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice