What would you do with $500,000?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by blueruins, Aug 12, 2019.

1. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    I'd set up a cool recording studio in the countryside in France and would force Bob Dylan to come recording the album of original songs he owes his fans since he made those 3 crap Sinatra-like albums.

That would ensure later success for that studio.

blueruins and j.s.c like this.
  2. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    $500k, Oh Man ! That's enough to be in serrriious problems now that oncle Albert Madoff can't give some help.

The modernest and smart way to spend of lot of money, is probably to change gender, and change your mind again in 6 months.

Or perhaps buy a new pony tail...
    Personaly I will invest in a factory doing Oreo cakes all day long.

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Save it.

blueruins and MTurner like this.
  4. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Move to the midwest or pacific north west and start a fishing lodge.

blueruins likes this.
  5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    blueruins likes this.
  6. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Put it on the side to retire much earlier.

Henry, blueruins and MTurner like this.
  7. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    A friend of mine used to say, "I'd pay off the credit cards, as far as it would go..."

blueruins likes this.
  8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    “I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.”

[​IMG]

9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Guess I would have to buy strings:(

10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    ;)

MTurner likes this.
  11. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    This is my thought as well.

I'd combine it with the savings I already have. Sell my house and trade my car in on a lightly used pickup truck and head somewhere where I can learn to fly fish. someplace affordable like Iowa or somewhere else in the midwest so I can just retire and leave modern problems behind me.

12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I know the following sounds like a joke, but it's not.

Currently, I work for a great company and would be a fool to leave. I intend to work for 5-10 more years, hopefully pooling enough resources to retire comfortably. I am thinking of retiring somewhere near an Amish community, not for religious reasons, but in order to find a simpler lifestyle. The reason for the Amish angle is that places they live tend to be geared towards a simple approach to agriculture and even industry. I wouldn't expect to be accepted as part of their community, I just want a slower, less technical pace of life.

I've been a techie since my earliest years and a career of music theory (as a guitar teacher), aeronautical technology and now working as a network engineer has more than satisfied the need for technical complexity in my life. I'm not thinking horse and buggy, but a simple life with a simple vehicle and, hopefully, a nice cafe where I can languish over a cup of coffee after breakfast would be a refreshing change.

Nonetheless, a Leopard cannot change its spots and retiring in such an idyll would probably leave me with plenty of time to explore advanced harmonies and write some cool (BASH) shell scripts, maybe even learn Python; all while wearing a flat brimmed hat. :)

13. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    That doesn't sounds like a joke to me at all. In fact, that's exactly my reasoning as well. I have worked in animation and broadcast advertising my whole career, and while I wouldn't trade it for a different career path, once I'm done I am DONE. I have always wanted to retire to some small midwest town and just fish, play guitar, and build an old Jeep Grand Wagoneer (complete with fake wood paneling). I'm not quite there yet, but with another $500k I could make it work for sure.

blueruins likes this.
  14. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Electromatic

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    1. Close my biz, sell off the equipment, rent the building out to generate pocket change

2.Buy some rural dirt, put a metal building on it for living space, music room, work shop.

3.Buy a good used MG/MGB racer and start SVRA vintage racing

4.Get a decent travel trailer so me and my trusty dog Shiner could attend more Jack Russell Terrier trials.

blueruins likes this.
  15. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    @blueruins lets give it to Michael. Lets give it to Michael i say. And thrice i say, give the money to michael. He seems like a nice chap

calebaaron666, blueruins and MTurner like this.
  16. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I’m a painter. Couldnt imagine not being one. So returement isnt in my future. Nor is $500,000. But if it was id just give it to my wife and let her do whatever she felt was best. Not my strong suit, money.
    I would ask her if she could see her way to buying my a ‘55 gibson, but id trust her to know whether its a part of the plan. When you delegate, you got to go with it.

blueruins likes this.
  17. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I would definitely help out that Nigerian prince that keeps emailing me.

18. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Pay off mortgage.

Buy a large swath of land in my target retirement region.

blueruins likes this.
  19. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Nope
    Sell my current house and buy a 1/2 acre somewhere rural within a reasonable commute of my job. Cause lets face it I'd have to keep working $500K isn't going to cut it.
    Build a bungalow to my wife's specs and a wood/lutherie shop to mine. Put a mobile home on the property for the intern.
    Take a trip somewhere, New Zealand intrigues me.
    Invest whatever's left over.

blueruins likes this.
  20. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Plus, Amish doughnuts! They are the bomb.

blueruins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice