What tuners are SUPPOSED to be on this guitar?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by chuckfalcon, Mar 28, 2018.

1. chuckfalcon

chuckfalcon Electromatic

May 25, 2017
    Bowling Green, KY
    Hi, everyone, I recently picked up this 63-64 Gretsch 6120 DC. I was gonna send it off to make the ugly repair look pretty, however it sounds and plays so SO good already.

ANYWAY, what I really wanna know, is what tuners are SUPPOSED to be on this guitar and does anyone hear have a set I can buy or can you direct me towards where I can buy some? There are no extra screw holes underneath, and the only imprint of past tuners is the ones that are currently attached. I was just curious because i was told that these may not be original to the guitar.

I'm also looking for a bigsby arm and the lil mute if you know where I can find either.

IMG_5695.JPG IMG_5696.JPG IMG_5697.JPG IMG_5698.JPG IMG_5699.JPG

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    BorderRadio and Stefan like this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Those are van Ghent tuners.

chuckfalcon likes this.
  3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Pretty sure those are the original tuners for that time period. Van Ghents, which Gretsch used for a while in the early-mid 60's. The other tuners that would have been used during that period would be Waverlys, but it's hit or miss until 1967, when Van Ghent became the "official" tuning machine for that model.

Waverlys could not have been the original tuners on that guitar, because the mounting screw points are further apart, and generally can't be covered by the Van Ghent baseplates.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  4. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Congratulations, its an intruiging old guitar and I hope you find the parts you need.

chuckfalcon and benjwri like this.
  5. heinzman

heinzman Gretschie

I saw them in the e-shop "Guitarage" in the Netherlands longer time ago...

chuckfalcon likes this.
  6. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    chuckfalcon likes this.
  7. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    chuckfalcon likes this.
  8. afire

afire Country Gent

Yep, original. Mostly found on 6120s in '64 (often coupled with gold plated HiloTron frames on the FilterTron pickups. Some Anniversaries and most Tennesseans also had them from about '64 to '66.

chuckfalcon likes this.
  9. chuckfalcon

chuckfalcon Electromatic

May 25, 2017
    Bowling Green, KY
  10. chuckfalcon

chuckfalcon Electromatic

May 25, 2017
    Bowling Green, KY
    Thanks a bunch, I checked them out yesterday and they told me the same thing, just nickel. I may just get a set for the time being until I find a gold one so I can fire all six cylinders on this baby.

11. chuckfalcon

chuckfalcon Electromatic

May 25, 2017
    Bowling Green, KY
    Since I haven't done it yet, here are some pics of the full guitar. This is a guitar that I never ever dreamed of owning, or wanted to own, mainly because it was orange and it had painted on F-holes. I bought it as something to resell. After I plugged it in that completely changed my mind. This is currently my best playing and sounding Gretsch, and now in my top 3 best sounding guitars. This one is a keeper. Behold:

Attached Files:

thunder58 likes this.
  12. chuckfalcon

chuckfalcon Electromatic

May 25, 2017
    Bowling Green, KY

Here's a short video I did with my iPhone 5. 6120 straight into a 60's "teal face" Supro "Royal Reverb". Gretsch and Valco are a match made in heaven.

wademp and speedicut like this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Tuners are original. Got the same on my Corvette which is nearly of the same vintage.

14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    It's sooo " been around the block a few times " . She's gorgeous in it's own way , just tells stories and has history to it . Enjoy it and congrats on finding it . Man , I'd leave it just the way it is . And if you do get all the missing parts , leave them in a drawer until you're really ready to fix it up . Play it for a while just like it is and see if you like it that way

chuckfalcon likes this.
  15. afire

afire Country Gent

I get the impression they may not be selling these anymore. Almost every place I looked was out of stock.

Some of these old ones are pure magic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice