What to do about arthritis?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    This was done in rats.

Skalak worries that his study will be taken out of context and used to boost sales of magnetic gizmos that are not supported by medical evidence. He's probably right."

“This was done in Rats.”
    The rats now play better than ever.

There is some evidence for using electrical/magnetic fields in organ manipulations, but I hope you aren’t conflating copper-woven jammies on TV with anything scientific. This isn’t a MaGyver Home MRI machine made of bailing wire & old telephone magnets.

Sorry. this isn’t science to extrapolate use of magnets. Its bull harkening back to copper bracelets.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    my post got all jammed up in this weird forum.

The point is - there is research & application of Magnetic Fields (Beatles wrote that, did they?).

But it ain’t about jamming magnets in your shoes, or old footballers picking up pocket cash by hawking fake cures on TV.

3. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Sounds like a cannabinoid moment.
    It may make more sense to use medical marijuana, which has shown some benefit in stemming inflammation throughout the body.

The unfortunate name “cannabinoid receptors” puts the cart before the horse & has other baggage (or benefit) traveling with its perception.

btw, there is a rudimentary study with positive results in senior cognition using med mj. Myself, I’d scrutinize carefully because now the tobacco company mentality takes over in what could be a goldmine.

4. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    I have struggled with bilateral tendonitis in my wrists since the mid 90s. Now I have arthritis in the same wrists and hands. My suggestions would be as follows:

1. Ice. Any time the thumb starts hurting, stop playing and ice down as soon as possible.

2. Ibuprofen helps, but I recommend prescription Voltaren gel - an external application that delivers diclofenac NSAID directly to the inflamed injury.

3. Go to a physical therapist and figure out some muscle strengthening exercises - if the muscles surrounding the affected tendon or joint are stronger, then the tendons and joints are not as stressed. Also +1 on stretching - be sure to warm up before playing and stop and stretch frequently.

5. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Put painful joints or limbs for 3 minutes in water as warm as you feel comfortable in and then for 1 minute in water as cold as possible. Then take some serious rest for 20 minutes. You can use bowls for a thumb. It relaxes and repairs tendons and muscles. It works well for tendinitis. Give it a try to see if it relieves symptoms of arthritis as well.

6. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland