What to do about arthritis?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    It's more likely the pressure of a bracelet rubbing the skin in the same dermatome as the injury. This is why you might rub your elbow if you bang it. Tens machines work in a similar way.
    Ginger added to the diet on a regular basis can sometimes help. Electro-acupuncture is often useful. Hot oil soaks can be nice too.

2. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Unless you pour it on the affected area I'd rather have cramps.:D

Runamok and larryb like this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    LOL! I should be more specific.....drink a shot of pickle juice

4. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    Interesting topic. I am currently going through a painful time. I have osteoarthritis in both hands. Unfortunately worse in my left hand. All fingers but not the thumb are problematic. The ring finger has no pain but the range of motion is about 50%. The index finger is the one currently giving me pain. No guitar playing for me until it settles down. The only medication that gives relief is Arthrotec. I changed meds about 2 months ago and my symptoms worsened. So back to Arthrotec. My hand is wrapped in an electric heating pad as I write this. Heat seems to work best for me.

5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Seems like the best thing for my joint issues is to play every day for at least an hour and probably not more than 3-4 on decently setup guitars. Staying hydrated and trying to limit my smoking (oh yeah, that'll happen :rolleyes:) seem to help too.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Larry , I have actually heard of this . But how much ? How many times a day and so on ......... any idea ?

larryb likes this.
  7. Gretscheroo

Gretscheroo Electromatic

Apr 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    This sort of adjustment has helped me no end. I have permanent wrist joint damage from a nasty break on my left hand nearly 15 years ago, which severely limited my stamina playing barre chords. Adjusting my technique so that the thumb provides support only, avoiding the tenancy to grip/pinch with thumb and index has worked wonders.

Open G tuning rocks. Much easier to barre. If it works for Keith Richard's arthritic hands, then I'm sold!

Yukimajo likes this.
  8. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Tonic water works too.

9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'm actually an acupuncture therapist, having completed a full time honours degree in the topic, and training in China. It is nice to see acupuncture gaining more acceptance in the West, but here in the UK there's some concern that folk that have completed a 3 day post-qualification course (eg physios, and so on) feel competent enough to work on the public. Medical acupuncture is supposed to be based on a proper diagnosis which physios and nurses are not usually qualified to give. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, but there's a lot of room for mistakes.

section2 and drmilktruck like this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Yes it does help with night time leg cramps. It has quinine in it, which used to be available as a prescription but is no longer made. 8 ounces at bedtime, gin optional but not recommended. (However it might make you get up and pee more at night, depending on your age and prostate status.)

11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Don't forget placebo effect either as an explanation. If you believe it will help, it's more likely to.

Runamok likes this.
  12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    a tablespoon or 2....or actually a shot glass full.

Last year we played a very hot outdoor gig and I couldnt drink enough water. Midway through a song, my hands were cramping terribly and I couldn't even hold or change chords. As soon as we ended the song, I signaled to one of the wait staff to bring me either a bowl of pickles or a few shot glasses of pickle juice. They brought me 3 shot glasses filled and I downed them. Less than a minute, the cramping was gone and was able to play the rest of the day without a single cramp. It is amazing how well it works

Jelly Roll Horton and thunder58 like this.
  13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    This. Even without any ailments on a well set up guitar, bar chording all night will stress your hand. And unless the guitar is the only instrument, playing all bar chords is often unnecessary and sometimes muddies up the mix. Learn some chord fragments or shapes that are easier on your hand. Of course, use good posture with your thumb centered on the back of the neck.

benjwri likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Thank you Dr. Larry ...:p All jokes aside , the tablespoon / shot glass is sounding familiar . Thanks buddy

Runamok likes this.
  15. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    ;)

thunder58 likes this.
  16. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I have arthritis in the middle finger of my left hand. Not the best location for a guitar player!
    I'm not aware of any "miracle" cures, but I have found a few things that have helped me.
    Chinese Reflexology balls are great at loosening up the hands and fingers. And diet is important. When I eat or drink anything that brings on inflammation (sugar, carbs or alcohol) it becomes noticeably worse.
    Soaking it in hot water and Epsom salts helps. Some people say ice, but hot water works best for me. It loosens things up.
    Anti-inflammatory drugs will definitely work, but I try to avoid them because they can wreak havoc on your liver and kidneys over time.
    And maybe the most obvious thing of all........Play a lot! The more I play, the more I CAN play and the tightness and discomfort tend to lessen considerably. That's important, because if you're a guitar player, then NOT playing is not an option.

17. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Larry is right. I have experienced the same results. It’s almost instantaneous. Tonic water takes a little longer, still works.

larryb likes this.
  18. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    I can tell stories of arthritic conditions, at least the milder forms, in relatives.
    This is a physiological thing.

They really require moving the body part judiciously, otherwise it doesn’t magically cure itself, no matter the voodoo, chinese whiskey, pokey needles or other reflexology (hokum from the early 1900’s).

Acidity & hydration of pickel juice though, may have short term benefit over & above the copper-lined underpants.

19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Yup!;)

20. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Explains it.

Darn it, RandyNewman, I’ve been doing it wrong.
    They brought me a shot glass & I’ve been trying to play slide with it.

thunder58 likes this.