What to do about arthritis?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Dec 2, 2018.

1. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    You might also consider acupuncture. I was an acupuncture skeptic until my wife, an MD, told me that Harvard Medical School was offering a science-based program in medical acupuncture. She took the course, brought the practice back to her chronic pain patients, and saw amazing results. It's starting to gain more acceptance in mainstream medicine now. If you do try it, I'd suggest looking for an MD with training in medical acupuncture—though who knows; you might find good results with a traditional practitioner.

I'd also second @drmilktruck's recommendation to see a physiotherapist. They may be able to suggest stretches, strengthening exercises, and different hand positions or neck shapes to minimize the problem. My mom is a retired physiotherapist; she gave me some good advice on playing through a chronic wrist injury.

As @RG7X suggested, a smaller fretboard radius is also worth considering. When my wrist flares up, I put down my 15" radius Hagstrom and pick up my 10" radius PRS SE 245. The wrist has been pretty good lately, but if it ever gets really bad, I'll be shopping for a 7.25" radius Tele.

RG7X and Charlie westside like this.
  2. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Charlie westside likes this.
  3. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Cramping could be signs of other things like dehydration

4. tdtom

tdtom Electromatic

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    don't give up. if you get to where you can't clamp anymore, tune it down and play slide

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  5. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Electromatic

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I can also recommend the method this guy teaches. Skip to 3:15 to get points 4 & 5 and he shows you how to play barre chords without even having your thumb on the back of the neck! It will take a little practise, but if it alleviates the pain, it's gotta be worth it.

Gretscheroo and tdtom like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Oh the cramping .... Dehydration has been brought to my attention a few years back and not for my hands either . For well over 20 years now I get muscle cramps in my calfs aka " night cramps " . Mostly my right leg . Puts me right on the floor sometimes while in a sound sleep . I also have tingleing nerve pain especially in my right leg also . But both legs are effected . I have been through every possible test my doctor could think of and have been tested for a variety of things like , MS , ALS , Lyme Desease , to name a few , even this subject of Arthritis . I take Gabapentin twice a day and yet it only eases the pain . Other than my legs I'm lucky to have my health at 60 yrs old . Everything else is fine . Thanks for the advice Nick , time for a glass of water .

nickurso likes this.
  7. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    +1. I think this gets overlooked a lot

nickurso likes this.
  8. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Athletic endeavors when I was younger left me with osteoarthritis issues in my hands, wrists, elbows and essentially most joints. As well, I believe it's part of the aging process which just plain sucks. I can't offer anything that hasn't already been suggested but as Nick pointed out, don't overlook the dehydration factor and FWIW, drinking beer while you're playing isn't keeping hydrated. Understanding there comes a point when there isn't much that can be done personally, I stretch, ice, warm my hands before I play (when I remember) and if it hurts to do something I find a different way to do it. For the most part, it's another challenge you have to learn to overcome. I sincerely wish you the best with this issue.

9. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    1 - See a doctor.
    2 - Follow HIS advice.
    3 - Adapt your playing. Barre chords may have to become a thing of the past, perhaps, or if that's not practical - band requirements - then perhaps open tuning and/or a capo may be the way to go.
    Other than that, cod liver oil pills.

Gretscheroo likes this.
  10. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Just sayin'.

drmilktruck likes this.
  11. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Two bits of advice for arthritis.
    1. For me, warm works. I put my thumb under warm-hot water for 2-3 minutes before playing and that helps me.
    2. For young folks, ~don't break stuff~. The two joints I have broken - toe playing football, strumming thumb working loading a truck - have developed arthritis. Look after yourself, young people!
    For the rest of you oldies, best of luck with your flexibility and pain management.
    Peng

12. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Don't have arthritis too bad, but yeah, I've broken my thumb and ringer on my LH. My advice...try to avoid barre chords. Small chords work just as well esp if you're playing with others.

Henry likes this.
  13. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Warm up your hands before playing. Play a fast song with plenty of chord changes. Don't give up. Wish we, at GT, had a cure for arthritis,
    we could make a pile of money.

14. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I don't have too many issues yet but there are signs of what's coming. Enough that I've given it some thought anyway. Things I've considered include lighter gauge strings, detune and use a capo to reduce tension or play a nylon string and learn some Willie Nelson tunes.

15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    They are under used for most hand problems. Most are actually occupational therapists not physical therapists. Your primary care person should be able to refer you if needed.

dak55 likes this.
  16. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Rich,
    Keep some dill pickle juice nearby for those leg cramps....absolutely works!

17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    CBD oil is made from hemp, which contains some of the active ingredients found in marijuana (without the hallucinogenic THC.) While there is medical grade CBD in various forms, most is sold as a supplement so its specific ingredients and potency can vary widely. There's some evidence it can help with pain and other medical conditions, but little research has been done. (Mostly due to being illegal for a long time. Still is in some states.) I do prescribe medical cannabis for some of my patients, mostly for pain. Like most things, it helps some and doesn't help others. Probably is safer than many other options, but still the hype is greater than the proof at this point.

18. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Now I know why Willy Nelson smokes weed. Never heard him talk about arthritis.

Chmason85 and dak55 like this.
  19. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Smash your big toe (right foot) with a hammer. Your left thumb will feel MUCH better!

benjwri, drmilktruck and dak55 like this.
  20. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Found a facility near by after your post yesterday, thank you. BTW, I changed my primary care doc to you. Was that wrong? You write better GAS prescriptions. Used another refill last night.

drmilktruck likes this.