What Things in Music Would You Really Like to Know?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    If guitars were in the music program at school youd get this:

drmilktruck and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Shhh! It’s supposed to be a secret.

Good advice.

I have high standards, which I never fully live up to, but I can say without reservation, that if I can play and reach an audience it makes me feel good.

I did some teaching, years ago, and agree completely. Earlier today, and completely independent of this thread, I was telling a coworker that when I taught, even beginning students, I benefited greatly by going through that material over and over.

3. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    How many house coats does Brian Wilson own?
    Does Eddie Wilson really live and is he related to Brian?

Flouswa and drmilktruck like this.
  4. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Oh man, Like minds, think alike. especially the Alpacas. Only they are sock wearing guitar playing with picks alpacas

drmilktruck and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    guitar pick.jpg Where do all the picks go?
    I found pick.jpg

6. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    audept likes this.
  7. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I'd like to know why Gilmour used a '50's P90 LP for his "Another Brick In the Wall" solo vs. his goto Strat played in the neck position?

When, why, and how did both Frey and Henley forget the "humble pie" they ate after scraping during their lean years before Linda Ronstadt really gave them the break they needed?

What made Les Paul experiment the way he did and did he ever really be satisfied with his tone later in his life that he spent so much effort trying to create like a mad scientist?

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Ooooooo, I almost forgot a question that stings: How many fans of the Beach Boys would be distraught to learn that the band really did not create their sound but instead was created by the session musicians known as the Wrecking Crew?

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Problem is that it'd only be rap and hip-hop, or American Idol stuff, and the most common instruments would be a computer and autotune. I worked around college bands for years. Marching band is king, followed by orchestral and concert bands. Even orchestral strings aren't that well represented, tho at the music school most all of the instruments were in use. The rare electric guitar was relegated to the jazz bands, or was purely classical, and taught in private lessons. Keyboards were one on one with a teacher, and that was only at the music school. The whole brass band thing goes back to the 20s and 30s in a Music Man idea. They start kids off in junior high and continue from there---much like sports. Choir is similar in structure. Having gone thru parochial schools, I had little of this. Just the 4Rs.

Junior high bands----
    My daughter was and is really thin. In 5th grade, she chose band over choir (tho she sings well, and picks up lyrics easily). They saddled her with a trombone. The case was nearly as tall as she was. The only reason she got it was that being tall and thin, she could reach the extension needed to play the low notes. She hated the instrument, hated carrying it home along with a backpack full of books, and hated the band instructor. Guaranteed success!

Still, learning music is supposed to be good for the brain. It seemed more about learning regimentation and raising funds for uniforms and equipment. Bands learn to march, choirs learn steps and jazz hands.

But---I still think that band and choir should stay. If that's what a child wants, fine. We will need horn players and singers, and it's something above and beyond the basics. I'd also argue for shop and home ec classes. High schools around here have VoAg (FFA, 4H). Not all kids need a college degree, and skilled trades are begging for people and pay well.

And we need musicians, too.

MotorCentaur, Flouswa and drmilktruck like this.
  10. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Did You Ever Wake Up With Them Bullfrogs On Your Mind?

drmilktruck likes this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Synchromatic

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I was a school band geek when i was in grade school and jr. High. I decided to learn percussion. I learned invaluable lessons on timing and dynamics that I still use everyday. The instructor, Mr. Shabo, let me stay after school and play around on the drum set because i couldn’t afford the extra lessons from a drum tutor to learn the kit like some of the other kids. Shabo was a sax player, but he’d give me the pointers he could and pieces to study and try to play to.
    When the time for jazz band auditions came around he insisted I try out, and I got the gig because i had learned to play with instinct as opposed to just reading the beats on the page. I owe that guy so much.
    Then high school happened and punk rock infected me so school band was for weenies!
    But i was able to take what i learned in school band and find practical application for it.
    To this day.

The end.

12. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Funny, I was taking a lesson and dropped my pick. We both saw where it went and we could not locate the darn thing!! Now when it comes to socks, I am a "Sock Freak"! No Socks will EVER be lost!!

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. stevemorrison

stevemorrison Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2011
    Dundee, SCOTLAND
    So in reality The Beach Boys were really no better or worse than the Monkees, who would have guessed...... ;)

NJDevil and drmilktruck like this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You never notice when you lose two socks.

I use moto picks. I can always find them on a dimly lit stage floor.

panhead6zero likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I learned from a high school friend. He buys in batches of 24 stocks of the same kind, never have to worry about matching. When you run low, toss them and get another bunch. For a while I had joce dress socks, etc., but it becomes a pain and expensive. Now I just have a dozen pairs of black socks.

16. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Gotta love simplicity!

Henry likes this.
  17. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

I can tell you where one guitar pick is. Inside my electric keyboard. Don't ask, long, stupid story...

audept and LivingMyDream like this.
  18. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Synchromatic

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Same with The Byrds’ first couple records. With the exception of Roger McGuinn’s 12 string, all of the music was provided by the wrecking crew.

NJDevil likes this.
  19. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Yup and there’s a great vid of him right after this one.

20. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

LOL

Yeah, when I started taking drum lessons, I heard two things: (1) you have to know where the "one" is, and (2) you have to learn to play with feel. I had no idea how anyone could possibly achieve either thing. Thirteen years later, I always know where the "one" is - even if I drop a stick and have to grab another one, I know exactly where I am, and how to get back in. And feel? Yeah, that is so easy now, although every new style is another feel that you have to learn - just like on guitar. At first it was all hard to learn, but each year that you play, the next thing to learn takes a shorter time to learn because you have a base to build on.

That flaky things . . . umm . . . yeah, I got nothin'. ;)