What Things in Music Would You Really Like to Know?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Literally and mathematically. With a duo, there is 1 potential for conflict. Trio, 4. With a quatro, 11. Where each potential conflict is a subset (including the full band) of the full band with more than one member.

If say each subset had a 5% chance of conflict, a quatro woukd have a 43% chance of one or more conflicts (1-0.95^11).

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Yer killing me Henry, one of the bands I play in has eight people, including two woman. And no kidding, they're mostly lawyers.

Robbie, Henry and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Why, despite the fact that I never practice in any organized fashion, do I not get better at playing the guitar?

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?
    Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
    Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop?
    Who put the dip in the dip da dip da dip?

johnny g likes this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    You are onto something, here. I’m all for bank and orchestra, but the chances of someone putting their clarinet skills to use in adult life are infinitesimally low. Horn players; good horn players with decent jazz chops, will stand in line for the chance to blow a solo at an open stage jam. Guitar, Bass, Piano and Drums

I dunno, but I’ve seen it over and over again. The Lug Nuts started as a quartet and we all got along, but we had a member move away and became a trio. We’ve tried adding a fourth member, but it has never worked out.

I think it’s a matter of complexity. As I reckon it, the complexity grows at the square of the number of members. With a solo act, you have a complexity factor of 1, a duo has a complexity factor of 4, a trio 9 and a quartet 16. Each additional member makes scheduling rehearsals just that much more complicated. Each additional member means that there is a greater chance that someone will be in a bed mood, have car trouble, spouse trouble or any number of other things.

I’ve spent a long time trying to play as well as Chet and, while I can fool some of the people, some of the time, I can fool myself none of the time. Chet was incredibly good and it went far beyond his unique style. He was incredibly fast and incredibly clean. He had a wide range, from classical, to jazz, to country, to sort of a rockabilly vibe, and he moved between these genres effortlessly.

He was, Mr. Guitar.

I’ve done something similar, but I wouldn’t bet my last nickel on being right. G#(4) is about as high as I can reliably sing, so I can use that as an admittedly imperfect measuring stick. Occasionally, I’ll tune a guitar completely by ear and get it right on the money, but the next time I’m just as likely to be off the mark.

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That seems to be changing. Around here ukelele is often the only choice if any.

On the other hand, part of music training is performance training. I can see how a school would prefer an orchestra rather than say 30 electric guitars.

MotorCentaur and drmilktruck like this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Not me!

Henry likes this.
  8. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    I think I know why players like Chet (and Merle, and too many more to count) were as good as they were/are: they started learning in childhood, went pro in their teens, and practiced obsessively - none of which I did. Acknowledging I'll never, ever achieve what they did is just being honest with myself I think, somewhat sad though it might be. If I'd wanted that in life badly enuff, I'd have done it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    ;)

I too merely have relative pitch. But I know people who upon being asked to sing in a specific key can actually sing in that key without accompaniment.

10. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    LOL. I blew out my shoulder, so I don't have any pitch at all.

11. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Whatever you call it I envy people who can pull the correct note out of thin air. I've sang as long as I can remember and played an instrument of some sort most of my life. I have a reasonable grasp of basic music theory but note recognition just doesn't come natural to me. I have to have the sheet music in front of me or I'll get lost.
    I'm going to work my way through these Justin Guitar ear training videos and see if something sticks.

12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Synchromatic

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, if i said “gimme a C” she could sing a C from her head. It was pretty amazing. I asked her if it was painful to play with people who were off, and she said sometimes.
    She was the Emmylou Harris to my Gram Parsons for a night celebrating the music of the latter at a club in Portland. Singing with her made me a better vocalist.

stevo likes this.
  13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    My son's elementary school tortured 5th grade parents every year with a recorder concert. I contemplated faking my own death to get out of going. I couldn't imagine how painful that would have been for someone with even imperfect pitch.

14. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    We had a ukelele band when I was in public school in the late 70s/early 80s. 50 ukelele's and one snare drum plunking out the greats like "Crystal Chandeliers", "One Tin Soldier" and "Magic Penny".

Henry likes this.
  15. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Wow!!

calebaaron666 likes this.
  16. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    That would have been my number one question had you not asked. It baffles me. Pics must have some strange connection to socks.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  17. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia

For those if you who been discussing PITCH, Check out this link to Youtube
    from Rick Beato discissing perfect pitch.

18. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Working as a guitarist can only help in keeping your chops up, but I think there is an element of natural ability at play as well.

19. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    My theory is they all make their way north to Sockpicktopia and live long and happy lives raising Alpacas and cage free eggs ;)

20. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Hey you either have it or you don't. All the work at it only goes so far. Play and sing for your-self. If others like it, well that's great.
    Teach and you will learn. Share and you will be blessed. (Hey
    somebody write this down it is pretty good stuff)

LivingMyDream and drmilktruck like this.