What Strings Do You Use???

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Markkkky, Mar 6, 2019.

1. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    For years, I have had 11-52 Dean Markley on my SG Firebrand, with the idea that the heavier the strings the punchier the sound. Even if that was harder to hold barre chords during hours or bend (anyway, I'm not a soloist).

And then it fell of the floor:

Gibson SG CasséeWP_20180823_001600.jpg

The luthier who fixed it told me I should restring with lighter gauge, then it's now 9-42. The sound is still great.

I still have the 10-46 stock strings on my G2655T, after more than six months. I also had the same gauge 10-46 set by the shop who sold my second hand G3140. Don't know the brand.

My Washburn D10CE has Martin Acoustic Bronze. Probably 11-52 , I'm not sure.

I'm the kind of guy who rarely change strings. I know it's wrong. But I'm lazy.
    For instance, I still have not had the pleasure to change strings with a Bigsby (on my G2655T)

new6659 likes this.
  2. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Ouch!!!:eek: Any photos of how that was repaired?

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  3. JeffreyLeePierre

Nov 11, 2018
    The fix is really great and was not very expensive. You hardly notice it was broken:
    Gibson SG CRéparée2.jpg
    Gibson SG CRéparée1.jpg

The photos are from the luthier's workshop, he sent them to my mobile once that was done. I wanted to make close-up photos in the sun, as one can see the shape of the broken part glued at the rear of the neck if looking closely. I probably forgot.

Freshy, Ricochet and Bertotti like this.
  4. Pop1655

Pop1655 Gretschie

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    I'd have to see a side shot, but that looks like a pretty darn good fix to me. One of the better I've seen.

Freshy, JeffreyLeePierre and Bertotti like this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yea, I agree that looks like a well-done job. I seem to remember someone telling me this is not uncommon on Gibsons. Whiplash takes its toll even in cases, as I understand it. I have never had to go through that. I sure hope I don't have to either. One thing I love about my Strats is they seem to be tanks when it comes to abuse. I wonder how Gretsch fares on situations like this.

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Wow, great repair job!

7. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I used Elixirs, 10s, for a long time.

Tried out a set of EXL 110 on the 5420 and I'm quite satisfied and start wondering what the coating is all about - only advantage I recognize is they're a bit closer to silent slides, but not by that far I remembered. I may change this habit, but still have Elixir 9s on the Telecaster and 11s on the Streamliner.

The EXL sound better by far! Something gets lost in the coating...

8. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    I mostly use NYXL. 10-52 on my Falcon and my DGT, 9-46 on my Jet, Strats, and Teles.

I say mostly because strings are cheap and it’s fun to explore, but I’ll keep NYXLs on my main gigging guitars until I discover something with a better combination of tuning stability and useful life.

pmac11 likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I see a lot of people are using heavier strings on their longer scales and lighter on their shorter scale guitar realative to the sizes they use. In my mind wouldn’t it make more send to use heavier on shorter scale and lighter on longer?

blueruins likes this.
  10. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    Yes, if your goal is to maintain as similar as possible string tension across all your guitars. In my case I put on the gauge that best let’s me play the guitar the way I wanna play that guitar. So my shortest scale (24.6") has 9-46, my longest (25.5") has 10-52 (Falcon) and 9-46 (Fenders and Larrivée). My PRS guitars, all 25" have 10-52 on the DGT and 9-46 on the SC250 and the McCarty Hollowbody. None of it necessarily makes "sense", but it’s what I like best on those guitars.

Freshy likes this.
  11. JeffreyLeePierre

Nov 11, 2018
    Pop1655 likes this.
  12. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing 10-44 flatwound on my hollowbody electrics
    Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys (10's) on my solid body electrics
    Gibson Masterbuilt Phos Brnz 10-47 on my Alvarez Acoustic
    La Bella Deep Talk'n Bass Flat on my Squire PBass
    La Bella Black Nylon Tape on my Amoon JBass
    The La Bella's on my basses cost about 60% of what the basses cost.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    johnny g likes this.
  13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    On the Gretsch, D'Adarrio EXL .011, unwound third.

All over the map on other guitars, but mostly D'AD's ranging from .009 hybrid sets, .0095 & .010 sets. Except my Esquire Partscaster. It likes Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies. I don't know why, but they just play and sound best on that guitar.

Elixers on the acoustics.

14. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    I love Curt Magnan strings. I use their 10.5 to 48 strings on my Gretsch and I'm able to make up a set to my own liking for my tele.
    9.5/12.5/16/25/36/48
    Been through a lot, these feel good. Buy in 6 packs and it's under $7 a set

15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    GHS Boomer 009-042 on my solidboies. 010-046 on my hollows.
    I used to play 012 sets on my strats because I liked the extreme difference to my 009 equipped (shorter scale) Gibsons. I found it to be inspiring like switching between a nylon string and a steelstring acoustic.
    Nowadays I am lacking callouses of steel. So I am using light strings on all of my guitars.

blueruins likes this.
  16. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    On my Gretsch 5122:
    D'Addario 11-49 --- 1st choice
    Ernie Ball 11-48 --- 2nd choice
    ------------------------------------
    On my Strat:
    D'Addario 10-46 --- 1st choice
    Ernie Ball 10-46 --- 2nd choice

pmac11 likes this.
  17. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
    D'Addario EXL140 Nickel Wound Light top/Heavy bottom 10-52 on Epi Elitist Country Deluxe Chet Atkins.
    D'Addario EZ890 85/15 Bronze Round Wound Super Light 9-45 on acoustic Takamine EAN 30C.

18. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    That video makes the price of strings seem well worth it!

stevo and blueruins like this.
  19. ALS57

ALS57 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Hi there, if you have these on a hollow body how do the Rotosound reds sound unplugged? I tend to practice with the guitar unplugged and the Zebra DR strings I have sound pretty both ways. Please let me know. Cheers Al

Trash Kidd likes this.
  20. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    The Rotosounds sound pretty good too unplugged. Easily enough volume to practice with...

ALS57 and pmac11 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice