What Strings Do You Use???

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Markkkky, Mar 6, 2019.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Didn't GHS make Fender's strings at one time? I started using them because they were a local company, like EV and Gibson and Heathkit. Stayed for the quality---I never had a problem with them.

blueruins likes this.
  2. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Pyramid flatwounds for that late 50s- early 60s clean sound that suits my style. Thomastik-Infeld is a close second, but I choose Pyramid because their tension seems slightly tighter on their flats, which I like.

3. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Strings absolutely make a difference. I use flatwound Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing 11s on my Jaguar, D'Addario NYXL 11's on my Gretsch, but go down to D'Addario NYXL 10s for my Univox.

In my experience each guitar I own is kind of callings for different strings, my Jaguar has hotter than usual pickups, so the flatwounds reduce squealing and tame the ear piercing highs. The Gretsch 5420 is still new to me, so I have to experiment with different strings until I find the right match, but the NYXLs are working out pretty nice right now.

4. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Yep yep yep. Wound G for the win! Since I've got a 5220 on my radar I'm glad they also do a 110W 10-46. Who need plinky? And a plain G plinks even more for me because I do a lot of up picking when I'm not chording and it's even more noticeable picking up than down.

Jena, thunder58 and emitex like this.
  5. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I make my own. I mix coins and scrap steel, melt it down, pour blanks and hammer the strings out one at a time. For the winding, I use a jig.

Actually, just kidding, but I just found this:

j.s.c and blueruins like this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I saw a YT vid of a guy making his own tubes. Blowing the glass, the works. Mindblowingly awesome, but some people have waaaay too much time on their hands.

Jena and blueruins like this.
  7. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Purple Country Club? Please post pix!

stevo and blueruins like this.
  8. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I know, right? And then there are the videos of the guys who make amazing miniature gasoline and diesel engines - little mini V-8s and V-12s that look and sound just like a full sized one. Even tiny little alternators. Only not quite the low rumble:

Fun to watch. Make one? Not me.

Bertotti, Merc and Ricochet like this.
  9. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I think you know a lot more about GHS than I:)

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Like I said, I'm very familiar with the area.

blueruins likes this.
  11. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Does anyone know what the original strings on a G5220 are. I'm quite sure they are 'D'Addario XL 10s with a wound G but whatever they are I like them.

12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Been using D'Addario EXL140 Nickle Wound Light top/Heavy bottom 10-52 for years on most of my Gretsches.

I have a few strung with 10 -46.

Jena likes this.
  13. budglo

budglo Electromatic

Feb 26, 2019
    Ohio
    I use NYXLs 11s on my Gretsch . I use Gibson Vintage Reissues 10s on my 335 and Fender super bullets 10s on my strats.

pmac11 likes this.
  14. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Electromatic

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Another fan of NYXLs on my single coil guitars. Got turned onto Gibson Britewires for my ProJet on this forum and they are a perfect match for filtertrons on that guitar, good definition on the wound strings.

pmac11 likes this.
  15. Far To Many

Far To Many Gretschie

Dec 31, 2018
    Upstate, NY
    D'Addario XL .009 on everything. I use the bronze .010's on the acoustics. I like light strings.

16. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    I am envious of all you that can use heavier gauge strings. My left hand arthritis makes it difficult. Consequently I have had to go to lighter strings, 9.5 to 42 and 9 to 42 on longer scale guitars.

17. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    D'Addario NYXLs (11-52 on my Ric, 11-49 on my Jet), and TI's (Bebops on my Les Paul, Swings on my G6120..both 11-47 or whatever their odd gauge is).

18. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I use different strings on different guitars, but for Gretsch it's mostly:
    D'Addario EJ20 (10-49 wound g) or EXL115 (11-49 plain g) on Jets and Penguin;
    D'Addario EJ21 (12-52 wound g) on my 6120.

19. Pop1655

Pop1655 Gretschie

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    Long time NYXL fan
    Brand new to the Gretsch family.
    NYXL 10’s were my choice as the first set on my new 5420. Very pleased. Might try 11’s next, just for entertainment value.
    NYXL 9.5’s on everything else I own.
    For most guitars, I think 9.5’s are the best kept secret out there. They just work for me.

20. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Nope strings make no difference. A good picker could use barb wire. Now I am going to look at the Golden Gate bridge, I understand it is for sale.

Wjensen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice