What Strings Do You Use???

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Markkkky, Mar 6, 2019.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Are they still made in Michigan? They used to be in the next town down from the Gibson factory.

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    DR Pure Blues 10s, on everything except my purple Country Club, then it’s 11s.

pmac11 and Andrew Griffin like this.
  3. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Yes they are. I love their pure nickel strings. I tried the DR’s for some time but I had quality issues and went back to GHS. When I did I realized I preferred the feel and tension as well.
    I use D’addarios on my acoustics though.
    Really, all these major companies make a great product.
    GHS just makes a little better:)

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My family is from the area. Gibson was in Kalamazoo, GHS in Battle Creek, and much of my family built Round Oak wood stoves in Dowagiac (an Indian name that sounds Polish). I worked at the radio station in Niles. Loved the area. Lots of great outdoor activities, lakes large and small, and Lake Effect Snow! The sad part is most of the once great businesses in the area that are now gone, either moved or shut down.

emitex and blueruins like this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    D'addario 10/46 or Ernie Ball 10/46 nickel wounds.

Merc likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    D'Addario XL 115w ( wound G string )

shrews824 likes this.
  7. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I'm with @Trash Kidd on this one. Rotosounds all the way; Roto Reds (11 - 48) for my 2420T and Roto Swing 66s (45 - 105) for my bass.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  8. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    A looooong time ago I read an interview with Ivy from the Cramps. She said she used D’Addario 11-50. If they’re good enough for her then they’re good enough for me. I’ve used those ever since. I get a nice chunky low end with them

calebaaron666 and Trash Kidd like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Generally
    D'Addario EXP XL110 (10-46) on Fender Scale, XL140(10-52) on Gibson scale. XL140 or 145 nickelwounds on some archtops or semis.
    I have to say the EXP coating works a treat if you’re in a humid environment.

For extra vintage flavoured tone I use round core Pyramid pure nickel or Pyramid Monel.

I used other brands and gauges as well but I try to simplify the stock I have to keep.

10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    D’Addario 10’s except on my Tele, 9.5’s there

Pop1655, new6659, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  11. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    GHS Burnished Nickel Rockers 11's on my 6120 DSW
    D'Addario Chrome 11's on my Jet Firebird DS and Wildkat
    D'Addario nickel wound 10.5's on my 2420T
    Fender pure nickel 10's on my Telecaster

Martin SP 12's on my acoustics

The Jet Firebird will be having a change as I feel it's something of a one trick pony for me with the flatwounds. It'll probably be getting the Burnished Nickel Rockers. The Telecaster is my goto 'does everything' guitar but I think that could be the Jet if I change the strings.

new6659, Jena and blueruins like this.
  12. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    D'addario ECG23 flat wound! Like the feel and the mellow sound.

13. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Only been in that area once at @12 years old and it is a great region.
    It doesn’t look too good for GHS either of this thread is any indication of their market share.
    It always surprises me that more people don’t use GHS. When I worked for Musicians Friend back in the day I had access to every brand under the sun. I made it a project one summer to give every brand 2 weeks and I always found the GHS to be at the top of the field.
    They have been slow to update their packaging tech and I wonder if this put them behind the curve?
    I would really be devestated if they went the way of the dodo:(

14. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I tried cheapo strings HarleyBenton's and Pyramids... They're sounding great unplugged but not as shinny as D'addario's when plugged. They're feeling more solid than regular 11. Btw the skinny strings tend to break at tuners level.

All in all, I will not reiterate the try.

15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I tried the HB once. Bought a pack. I could not tune nor intonate the guitar worth a damn. They were all over the place. Got rid of'm, fast.

16. captainvideo

captainvideo Electromatic

Nov 18, 2011
    Chicago
    10s on all my Gretschs. Preferably DR Blues or Pyramids. Anything pure nickel with a round core is preferred.

I have Pyramid 10 flats on my Cliff Jet. But subbed out the wound g for a plain steel 17.

9s on my Teles and Strats. 8s on my Paisley Tele. Whatever cheap ernie ball string is available for the Fenders.

emitex likes this.
  17. afire

afire Country Gent

I like 11s with a round core and pure nickel wrap. The round core for a less stiff feel. The nickel wrap for maybe a tiny bit mellower tone than steel. 11s because they feel right to me on a 24.6" scale guitar. My usual is DR Pure Blues, but I've currently got a set of Pyramid Nickel Classics. Both pretty similar.

18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Gibson Brite Wires. .010 on the Gretschs and Jaguars - .009 on the Gibson scales and P90s - .009 Ernie Ball Super Slinkys on my Strats, Teles and EBMM Albert Lees

19. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Gretsch - D'Addario XL 115w (11-49 w/ wound G)
    Strat - Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (10-46)
    Les Paul - Ernie Ball Power Slinky (11-48)

20. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Following with interest. I used D'Aquisto Edge and Rotosound Superwound strings for a long time, but can't find either anymore. The Dean Markley strings I picked up solely because they were insanely cheap turned out to not even be worth next-to-nothing. They ring so brightly and severely you can hear the tinkling of the strings behind the bridge through the amp all the time, and suddenly I'm feeding back when I wasn't before.

Sounds like a lot of D'Addario fans-- maybe that'll have to be next up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice