Join Gretsch-Talk Today

What should be my next purchase

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Pdnlegs, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:38 PM.

1. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    changing the title of this post. Basically I am about to receive my first check for being the youth pastor at my church, and I was not even sure i was going to get paid for the first month that i did it because it was kind of a trial period thing and the church had not voted on me getting the job yet. turns out i am getting paid for the first month, and its my birthday this month, so I think i will treat myself

So what would you suggest for my next purchase

Currently my only OD is a OCD. have been wanting to get a TS and a Compressor, but might have the money for a Nocturne right now, what would you suggest for my first Nocturne Pedal, Ubangi or Atomic Brain (or Dyno)?

Its between a TS and a Compressor, a Nocturne pedal, or possily a new guitar {Epiphone Sheraton, or my new gas Reverend Manta Ray in Turquoise}.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 12:51 PM
  2. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Here are some picks of my current gear to give you an idea of what I do and don't have covered. I also wouldn't mind finding IMG_2299.JPG IMG_2300.JPG 10DF5CE1-5F09-417F-8736-25EECDC111DE.jpg DDC5DDFA-366A-4D9F-BA03-5282B55EE17F.jpg IMG_1748.JPG a more practical Fuzz solution but don't even know where to begin on that particular Hunt.

nickurso likes this.
  3. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Also have a DOD Boneshaker sitting in its box. I don't get it till Christmas.

4. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Also might just get an actual pedal board and some new patch cables. Most practical purchase of something I actually need but also least exciting.

5. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I’m going to suggest that you start with an Atomic Brain (or Mystery Brain for an Atomic coupled with a fantastic delay).
    You’ll want the Ubangi later but the Atomic Brain is where it all starts. The additional boost (Abby) comes in very handy. It offers a lot of dynamic options.
    With respect to patch cables, I recently upgraded to George L’s for my board. I wasn’t comfortable with a solderless kit so I purchased premade/ soldered from Tight Squeeze Cables on Reverb and couldn’t be happier. I used to think the cable upgrade was snake oil but I was seriously mistaken.
    For instrument cables, I bought s few premade Mogami Gold 2524 from stompin-ground.com.
    These are great small businesses who make their cable from bulk and will allow you to save a good deal over and provide you with greater options than retail.

Henry likes this.
  6. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    What is your concern with respect to Fuzz?
    There’s nothing wrong with a Big Muff!

7. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    The Fulldrive 3 I'm selling is a TS and beyond circuit at a good price if you're interested. Can possibly afford a compressor too.

8. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 2:01 PM
    Gretschman2, wabash slim and Pdnlegs like this.
  9. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I enjoy my Big Muff. But it's big and it can't be powered by my power supply. Also seems to suck Tone when it's in the signal chain. Have been interested in the new Russian Big Muff as a replacement. Will still keep the big one of corse. But have also been thinking maybe I want to try a different style of Fuzz.

10. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Fair points!
    There are a LOT of builders recreating classic muff and fuzz circuits but updating them to address the ‘classic’ issues associated. Wren and Cuff and Stomp Under Foot make amazing variations of of the muff. I really like their Caprid (70s Rams Head Big Muff) Box of War (Civil War Muff) and Your Face 70s (Fuzz Face).
    There is a one man company in Denmark called Reuss Effects who make amazing closes of the Super Fuzz and Tonebender mkIII circuits. I own / have owned / love all of these. I can’t recommend them enough. The Nocturne Seltzerado and Fuzz Ray are supposed to be wonderful as well.
    I think if you made this a Fuzz thread you would get hundreds of varied responses as we seem to be in the golden age of boutique fuzz (though you really only need one or two).

Edit: with respect to the Ubangi, I just realized yesterday that with the gain at 3 o’clock or higher it acts as a pretty great fuzz pedal in its own right. It’s very versatile. Sorry if I come across as a Nocturne fanboys this forum. I guess that I am.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 2:30 PM
  11. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I agree with Srellim1 on getting an Atomic Brain before a Ubangi Stomp unless you can afford both. The Atomic Brain is a preamp that will significantly improve your sound over your entire sonic spectrum and is essentially a starter point (for me anyway). The Ubangi is an overdrive. To my ears, the demo vids on the Atomic Brain pale in comparison to how much you will notice the improvement when live and hooked up to your amp. Like most of us that have one, you'll leave it on all the time after that. Hope this helps.

P.S., You have a nice rig, I'm a Princeton man myself (have 2 vintage ones). Lovely amps and the Brain works great in front of them.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 2:39 PM
  12. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Thank you for the complement. I really do appreciate it. I don't really have any "guitar guys" around here so I never get to geek out about gear unless it's on here. So I really do appreciate the complement.

Around here if I ever do find a person who plays guitar they only play acoustic and don't even know what a guitar pedal is or does.

I have been playing at my church for a few years now. After church THIS Sunday the pastors wife asked me about my amp "what does that even do?"

Gretschman2 likes this.
  13. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I used to think Atomic first. But I guess because I have not experienced it myself i find my self doubting if i need it. Currently only play at home by myself and at church with just vocals/piano/guitar. So cutting threw the mix is not that big of a deal.

And just like the compressor I have never used a preamp before. So I struggle with the concept of what it would do for me. Have been thinking I want a compressor later simply because I would like more sustain. At home i play a lot of blues and really wish I could get more sustain at lower volumes.

Also about the Princeton. I saved up for a year to get it and I am really liking it. Have had it a a couple of months now. Couple of nights ago I dialed in a beautiful Fender Chime clean Tone. For such a simple amp, no gain knob for example, there are a lot of tones to be had by changing the bass and treble.

Gretschman2 likes this.
  14. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Earth Quaker Devices Hoof Fuzz, or the Cloven Hoof if you want even more hair.

Srellim1 likes this.
  15. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Wampler tumnus is perfect through your's and my PRRI with the Crex. It will add mids, sustain and some touch senstivity/dynamics. You won't be dissapointed in one of those.

zebulon and Pdnlegs like this.
  16. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    With respect to the Atomic, I’ve found (since I do like a little bit of delay for doubling) that I could get by with only the Mystery Brain for dynamics, dirt, sweetening and boost. Your mileage may vary, of course depending upon your own needs. Let’s be honest these things aren’t cheap so I understand the uncertainty being unable to try it first.

17. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Mystery brain and a ubangi is a great combo. I’d go with the mystery brain over a dyno or atomic because you with the later you are only getting half way there

18. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don't know about pedals too much. I only have a handful but I can say I will always have a Xotic RC Booster, I love what it does for my tone. I can't describe it. I often wonder if isn't similar to having a buffer in your signal chain, seems like it gives me something I don't usually have.

Pdnlegs likes this.
  19. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Already have a delay pedal though. And if and when I get another delay I want an anolog delay

20. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Nothing wrong at all with playing with others that play acoustic only. Playing with others will expand your horizons no matter if it's acoustic or electric, so don't turn down those opportunities when they come about.

With regard to the Atomic Brain there's a lot of us that got those or Dyno Brains before the Mystery Brain came out. I already had a MXR Carbon Copy before I got the Brain which I absolutely love and will never part with, so I was set in terms of sonic improvement via the Brain, and delay via the Carbon Copy. Tavo contacted me today to let me know that the Ubangi is enroute for adding some dirt love. So as you can see, I offer myself as an example of one who made step-by-step pedal additions with what was available or affordable for me at the time. Everyone's approach will of course vary depending on whether you're a professional player or not, experience level, what you can afford at any given time, changes you want to make as you go along, etc., etc. In summary, it's really up to you to figure out the tone you're looking for. That is one reason why I joined this forum, and I'm glad I did as I have learned a lot here from people who are way more experienced than I am. Believe it or not, there will be others who will benefit from the questions you pose, and the answers you get. So never hold back on questions you want to ask. In the meantime, keep on picking.

V/R

Tom

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 1:11 AM
    russmack likes this.