what roller bridge for a G5655T-CB?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by MisterTV, Jan 10, 2019.

1. MisterTV

MisterTV Newbie

Jan 9, 2019
    Minneapolis
    New member, first post!

i just picked up a 5655T-CB to be the “Malcolm” to my SG Classic’s “Angus.” (See my avatar.)

For the SG, I replaced the TOM bridge with a Stew Mac “Golden Age” roller bridge and really like it.

As this is my first Gretsch, I’m not sure what roller bridge options would be compatible here. I don’t want to order something online only to have a luthier tell me it’s the wrong specs.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Money no object I'd say ABM2400, although they can be spotty on stock through what I believe is their only US distibutor All Parts:
    https://www.allparts.com/GB-0545-010-ABM-2400-C-Chrome-Roller-Tunematic_p_1579.html
    I tried one of them on my 5655 while I was waiting for my Compton to show up (and have wound up w/ a few on other Bigsby-fied guitars) and that's been the best functioning, most solidly built, and best sounding roller saddled ToM I've got first hand experience with.

For a cheaper option in the roller space, the Wilkinson one like this is pretty darn nice for the price IMO:
    https://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson-Brass-Roller-Bridge-Locking-Studs-Chrome_p_866.html
    [​IMG]

That being said, I like the bar bridge on mine personally, but I think the only currently readily available option there is TruArc.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Howard hughes and MisterTV like this.
  3. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Can’t beat the ABM2400, simply stunning workmanship and the best(sadly most expensive) choice for a fixed bridge roller.

I have one on a 5420 and have another on the way for another guitar. I have found that Thomann is the only place that consistently has them.

Same bridge on two different guitars of mine

EB68813D-FC00-4F9B-BBD4-A4669EC4F4BF.jpeg
    36C6AA6F-9A9D-441A-9C82-88185C533A32.jpeg

MisterTV likes this.
  4. MisterTV

MisterTV Newbie

Jan 9, 2019
    Minneapolis
    Awesome! Thanks so much for all the information. Great-looking Gretsches!

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Sid Nitzerglobin and radd like this.
  6. maverick-tx

maverick-tx Electromatic

Feb 7, 2017
    TX
    These have worked great for me. $20 and improved tone on every guitar, most notably on the g2622t which sounded like a completely different guitar, where before the bridge swap I was set on changing the pickups but now I actually like them. I like how the holes are elongated so you can adjust to have the strings more in a straight line over the rollers instead of the slant that the original bridge had.
    1666C365-12C4-4062-BFDD-1A59B7CFF7C8.jpeg C42BAFDC-6DE5-4B78-81F0-C44ADAAED9D4.jpeg C37B7C00-D35B-4BC6-8C1D-B2E3B86573BC.jpeg

Sid Nitzerglobin and MisterTV like this.
  7. MisterTV

MisterTV Newbie

Jan 9, 2019
    Minneapolis
    Cool. Is that the Wilkinson?

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, I bought one of them too, for testing, but still never used it for the moment. I don't know if it's a Wilkinson, though.

But these bridges are intereting items because - as maverick-tx mentions it - they have a greater flexibility in adjustment to cure some bridge position issues. It's the model I would have used on my G5622TLH - where the bridge position is straight (see my post above) - in the case of the Göldo HW05C wouldn't have had enough travel to correct intonation.

A+!

9. maverick-tx

maverick-tx Electromatic

Feb 7, 2017
    TX
    Yes. From eBay. They are 14”radius but don’t let that scare you away. The action is awesome. I actually cut strips of feeler gauges to shim up the saddles for the Jazzmaster since it has a 9.5” radius and that worked great.

10. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    wow that looks amazing! where did you get that bridge if i may ask please? that has inspired me to make my jade electromatic and penguin replica!

11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I agree the Wilkinson roller is pretty great and I prefer it to the other options I've tried costing 2x as much.

Thanks! I like how it turned out too. It's a Compton Compensated Bar Bridge in stainless steel w/ the tone chamber.

Howard hughes likes this.