What my husband's Gretsch worth?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Annette, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Annette

Annette Electromatic

Jul 5, 2008
    Raritan, NJ
    My husband recently passed away from Cancer. Everyone wants his guitar, which is really an old one. Another person offered me $100. I hate to see it used for some child to play on or just thrown around. Any suggestions?

2. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    What is it? or What kind is it? Do you have pictures? Alll that might help. BTW sorry for your lost!

3. Gretsch-Talk

Gretsch-Talk Administrator Staff Member

May 26, 2008
    Hill Country, TX
    Admin Post
    Hi, I split your post off from the thread you had attached it to, and set it up as a NEW POST. I also put it in the correct forum.

Without detailed photos and descriptions no one can tell you anything about your late husband's guitar.

Photos are probably the most important thing you can provide. But we'll need a lot of specific photos.

4. bobframe

bobframe Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    US
    Model number and serial number will also be key to uncovering what you've got.

5. wenzel

wenzel Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    New Jersey
    I can tell you that any Gretsch is worth more than $100. Post some pictures and we'll give you a good idea. We will also need the serial number if you can find it to determine its age. This is probably the most important part.

Good luck.

6. Pappy

Pappy Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Worth more than 100.00 guaranteed. If I had a friend approach my grieving wife with that BS I'd haunt him until he joined me. I can't believe he'd have the balls to try to take you for a ride like that.

If you take some pictures of the guitar, if it's a hollow-body with f-holes you can take a picture of te label inside the top f-hole. And if yu take any pictures of where you think is damaged, nicks and dings that have happened over the years, I'm sure someone can ball-park it for you.

I'm just curious, does this guitar have sentimental value to you? Seems like it's a great guitar if everyone's after it and if it meant a lot to your husband, why not keep it?

7. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    By all means do not unload this guitar until you know what it is and what it's worth! While everyone here may want to get our hands on it no one here is going to lowball you to get at it. Heh-Heh this week your husband's friend would be able to outbid me:eek: Just keep in mind no one here can help you out unless we know what we're dealing with! If it's only worth a hundred we'll tell you that and if it would be worth $15.000 we'll tell you that too! Very important!!! PICS AND S\N very important!!!!

8. Annette

Annette Electromatic

Jul 5, 2008
    Raritan, NJ
    I have no clue where the model # is. I only saw something like the word melita on it. The case is in bad shape because of it's age. The velvet inside is fine...but no number that I could see anywhere. Thanks for your interest, and answering me.

9. Annette

Annette Electromatic

Jul 5, 2008
    Raritan, NJ
    The guitar has sentimental value to me, but I'm afraid if something happened to me, my daughter and her husband would give it to the kids to play with or sell it at a flea market. They have no sentimental value toward it. I would rather it go to someone who would respect it as the instrument that it is. That's the only reason that I would consider selling it. Cannot find a number, will check again tomorrow.

10. Annette

Annette Electromatic

Jul 5, 2008
    Raritan, NJ
    I will have someone take a picture of it next week and post it. Thanks to everyone.

11. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    If you look into the "F" hole of the guitar (If it has "f" hole) there might be something inside of that) or if it has the regular "O" hole check in there. That at least might give you a starting piont. But pictures will give use an idea of the model and what it's worth.

12. DanO

DanO Gretschie

Jun 12, 2008
    Midwest
    duplicate post...

13. DanO

DanO Gretschie

Jun 12, 2008
    Midwest
    Annette, look at these photos ...
    Does yours look like any of these?

Is it a large guitar or a small guitar?
    What color is it?

Hope this helps you
    Dan

Attached Files:

14. Annette

Annette Electromatic

Jul 5, 2008
    Raritan, NJ
    No, those guitars seem more modern.

15. Annette

Annette Electromatic

Jul 5, 2008
    Raritan, NJ
    It's most like the last one posted, on the bottom.

16. Otterbean

Otterbean Gretschie

Jun 5, 2008
    LoUiSiAna
    I'll be watching for the photo Annette.

17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    First, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Perhaps a Gretsch New Yorker. Did any of those have a Melita bridge? We'll be looking forward to any and all photos. If you have any problems posting photos just use the private message function and I'll be glad to lend a hand.

18. Boyko

Boyko Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    Annette, I'm very sorry for your loss. Losing loved ones is definitly hard, and I think many of us can attest to that. Hopefully you are doing fine and things are going well.

Well, if its older and looks like the last one it could be any number of guitars. These guys will help you out when you get some pictures up. It could be a Syncromatic. Is there any wording or codes on the headstock (where the Gretsch logo would be, at the end of the neck)?

Once we find out what model it is we should be able to tell you where to find the serial number. Generally it is either inside the body, visible through the hole in the top, or on the back of the neck at the top. From that we can find the year and model specific details.

And if you want to sell it, I'm sure any one on here would appreciate it fully for what it is worth! Any idea on how long your husband had the guitar for or if he was the original owner? This could give us some idea of how old it is.

19. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Someone help me out here isn't Mandolin brothers on Staten Island? She could always take it there just to find out what it is. That would be maybe a 20 minute drive for her. Just don't let anyone talk you into anything before you're ready.

20. Annette

Annette Electromatic

Jul 5, 2008
    Raritan, NJ
    Re: My husband's guitar

Hi: Thanks for the infor re Staten Island. I may get to look into that too, along with some other options. Re getting to Staten Island in 20 minutes, we can't get anywhere in 20 minutes. One street to my house takes 10 minutes. Getting to Staten Island from Raritan would probably be well over an hour, but could be worth it. Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice