What music are you vibing on right now?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by TSims1, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany

2. Today, I'm online a bit with alot of family stuff . . .

- and maybe because the drummer in the video reminds me of one of my biggest musical influences - my oldest brother - who, when their band practiced/played in our childhood home's suburban garage, could never even be seen at the very back by any in a crowd that came into the short driveway - the drums he got for a Christmas (it was the late 60's-70's) LOL

Your Love - The Outfield (1985)

3. I'll chime in on this thread (again, as a bump) with a bit of a long time favorite tune for me for whatever reason -
    I did see BOC live at an outdoors baseball stadium once in the mid '80s, btw (it was bring your blanket/picnic gear and when gates open we'd rush in - if you were a "on the field" ticket holder.) We landed in the packed-in crowd about six rows from front center-stage - good times. The other band/ act was the Wilson sisters, Heart - maybe a sorta odd mix (?)
    fwiw, , BOC was way better.

Burnin' For You - Blue Oyster Cult (released in 1981) Live at Hollywood, Florida arena

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    GlenP, Echocat23 and blueruins like this.
  4. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I worked one of their first national tour shows. Fun gig.

Festival seating? Remember the Cincinnati Who show where people were crushed and died? That prompted a major change in the safety and ticketing aspects of the industry. Crowd control is seriously important.

Jena likes this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Today it is John Five and the Creatures, Zoinks! Really good and quite diverse album.

7. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Paul Simon. The Boxer

mrfixitmi, GlenP and blueruins like this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I listened to a lot of Simon and Garfunkel back in the day. That mixed in with the Doors, Hendrix, CSN&Y. Funny combination.

I have not listened to that duo in years, think I will go find some, maybe, Old Friends.

johnny g and mrfixitmi like this.
  9. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Since the passing of their co-founder and guitarist Dave Roback about a week ago, I've pulled out my old Mazzy Star records from the early 90's. Sort of a cross between the Cowboy Junkies and Jesus and Mary Chain, they scored an MTV hit with Fade Into You in 1993.

A lot of their stuff is relentlessly downbeat, lots of fuzzed out guitars and background distortion, totally fitting as Dave came from LA's Paisley Underground scene. Here's one of their more "accessible" tunes, from their first album She Hangs Brightly.

Penguin likes this.
  10. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    For the last few days I've been completely hooked in a type of music which is probably not mentioned a lot over here. It's pasodobles, typical Spanish music. It started life as a military march, but then it became a dance, and it's also played during bullfights. Many people claim they don't like pasodobles for non-musical reasons (either because they say that they are pacifists and they don't want to have anything to do with something related in some way to the army, or because they are against bullfights, for the same reason). For me, pasodobles are just a type of elegant music which I love playing with the wind bands I'm in, and listening to.

If you feel like listening to some, please try a Spanish recording. Bands from abroad (especially the USA) play them as if they were a tour the force to show off how quickly they can play. And that spoils the elegance of the music, turning it into something fit for a circus. Here are some of my favourites:

And, well, although I wouldn't say it's too typical, there are people who have dared arrange pasodobles for electric guitars and such. Here's a favourite of mine, from the sixties:

mrfixitmi and blueruins like this.
  11. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Because you liked Paul Simon, you also might like... Paul Simon with George Harrison on Saturday Night Live, 1976. Not sure if there are better quality versions of this on line, I found it on a DVD in my library of SNL musical guests.

Homeward Bound

Here Comes the Sun

PS - just for fun, Eric Idle (Monty Python) Here Comes the Sun closing out the show on SNL...

TheMicster, mrfixitmi, Jena and 2 others like this.
  12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

That was a fun listen...Thanks for posting

johnny g and GlenP like this.
  13. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    Some Hillbilly-Honkytonkin'from the UK. Found two of their albums on my mp3-stick, after I had given it to a friend. :) I immediately ordered one of them for my record collection.

14. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

This week, I've been listening to a lot of post-Clash Joe Strummer. The second Mescaleros album obviously is the best of all. But there are many beautiful things at every stage of the journey.

15. "Really don't mind if ya' sit this one out . . ."

Flute . . . with guitars - ( "plugged in" acoustic, Tele(?), etc.), keyboard(s), drums . . . sounds swell, imho.

Thick As A Brick (long version) - 1972 (From 1978 Live at Madison Square Garden)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    new6659 likes this.
  16. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I'm not sure exactly where I heard of this band, but it must have been somewhere on this forum...whoever mentioned them, thanks! They're great!

17. MattMcEwen

MattMcEwen Gretschie

Mar 23, 2018
    Halifax
  18. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Since my son will be returning from Florida, I need to brush up on my acoustic, and banjo, so I have been listeining to a lot of The Wailin' Jennys.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice