What model is this?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by greens, May 28, 2018.

1. greens

greens Electromatic

Dec 8, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    This might have been the image that first sparked my interest in Gretschs way back when - the back cover of Social Distortion's 1990 self-titled album.

social-distortion-self-titled-rsd-lp-back.jpg

It occurred to me today to look it up and I was surprised to find nothing online about it except for an ancient myspace page from a band that got ahold of the guitar years later, probably because they seem to have had some connection with Dennis Dannell.

https://myspace.com/deluxtonerockets/mixes/classic-my-photos-367034/photo/93877145

full.jpg

images.jpg

The caption says "The '59 Gretsch Mike Ness is holding on the self-titled album." However that looks like a Hilo'Tron to me . .which would make this mostly likely a 1960 Single Annie, no?

Chmason85 likes this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, 60s Annie with a B7.

greens likes this.
  3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    You mean "butchered" with a B7. Absolutely no need for a tension bar Bigsby on that guitar.

Stefan and Dave-B like this.
  4. greens

greens Electromatic

Dec 8, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm not sure I follow. You mean it should have a different Bigsby instead?

5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    To be original, it should have a G-cutout trapeze tailpiece. Gretsch didn't offer a Bigsby option on single-pickup Anniversary models.

However, if one were to add a Bigsby, as was done here, the correct model for that guitar's geometry would be a B6, not a B7. The B7 was designed for a shallow neck angle and a thinner body, neither of which a Single-Anni possesses.

Oh, sure it will function, but the B7 requires two extra holes to be put into the top... Not required for a B6.

audept and greens like this.
  6. greens

greens Electromatic

Dec 8, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Cool looking guitar though.

8. greens

greens Electromatic

Dec 8, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, I'm not normally into flames but I do like this a lot.

I've never seen this guitar in another photo with Ness though so I wonder if they just used it for the shoot and never much else. And I can't really see him using a guitar without a bridge pickup for much.

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I like it, though I am sure that it will go out of tune easily.

10. iLoveRocknRoll

iLoveRocknRoll Newbie

Nov 18, 2018
    Oregon
    I just joined the forum and was going to ask if anyone knew anything about that guitar and then saw this post. However, I was wondering if he played that guitar specifically for all the leads on Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell, because the tone on all the lead licks throughout that album are bigger and fatter than on any of their other albums. Am I crazy or does anyone else agree?

11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, ILoveRocknRoll!
    Welcome mat 67.jpg

12. greens

greens Electromatic

Dec 8, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welcome! As I mentioned above, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't use that Gretsch at all except as a prop for photos. But if he did use it he probably used it only on the 1990 album. By SBH&H he seemed to be using exclusively Les Paul Deluxes with P90s swapped in and humbucker Les Paul Standards.

13. iLoveRocknRoll

iLoveRocknRoll Newbie

Nov 18, 2018
    Oregon
    Thanks guys! You're probably right, greens.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice