Join Gretsch-Talk Today

What kind of amps are you guys using?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Gmountain, Jun 9, 2018.

1. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I've not seen that software before, but it seems to have some pretty cool features. I'll have to look for it online.

Howard hughes likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Aside from my AC15 and Champ 600 RI, I also have a couple of oddities. One's an Ampex 601 8" speaker, 10 watt amp made to work with their Model 600 mono reel to reel recorder. It's around 1961-ish.

I also have two David Bogen 10 watt PA heads from 1949 and '50. Octal tubes rule!

3. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Wow, sounded great through my crappy phone speaker. I'll have to check it through some real speakers later.

4. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    How is the Ampex? I've seen them around but never got to try one.

5. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Gretschie

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    its so good! its used in pro studios too. for what a hundred or so bucks? you get those three classic amps, and i have had all three real amps back in the glory days, and ide rather use this!!

6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm not at all opposed to tech, but i WILL have real amps around, just not 20 of them.

7. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Gretschie

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    i got kicked off squier talk for accidentally sending a message to someone instead of making a new thread!?!? it was an honest mistake! like you i had no clue how it worked but you will get there in the end and welcome!

8. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Hate to be an idiot, but I will: what are the real amps represented by the brown, white, and green simulations?

9. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Fender, Marshall and Vox.....guess my Magnatones are safe for now!

Howard hughes and MTurner like this.
  10. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Gretschie

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    yep

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    They're a small wide range amp, meant more for music playback than anything else. The tone control is odd---bass cut or treble cut. They're uninspiring. Cool case, tho.

wildeman likes this.
  12. Bluesman803

Bluesman803 Electromatic

Jul 7, 2018
    South Carolina
    20180406_110454.jpg Running my Electromatic Jet BT through a Marshall DSL20HR ​

wildeman likes this.
  13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Electromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    Y2K-era Vox AC-15 TBX is my favorite with the Gretsch. But I have others, a couple of Fenders, a Dual Showman Reverb or Bandmaster Reverb into a 2 x 12" with JBL K-120's. And a Rivera S120-210 when I use stereo effects. I can't think of an amp I own that doesn't work. As for effects, I have a pretty standard pedalboard with a comp, an overdrive or two, modulation and delay. But they are optional depending on the music I'm playing.

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Still the same amp on stage these times : The Paul GUILHEM Deluxe combo that I built in 1993 and renewed / improved in 2014 and 2018 :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have been reluctant for years to use it on stage, for fear of lacking power in my big band... I stupidly relied on a Fender Mustang III instead... :eek::confused::confused::confused:

A+!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  15. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Up until about a year ago, my office was about 3 blocks from the building this amp was originally sold from. Small world.

Hammerhead likes this.
  16. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Gretschie

Dec 29, 2012
    Aberdeen
    Cool! Of course I Googled the shop but seems it went years ago.

The amp now resides in Aberdeen, Scotland. Long way from Texas!

17. b80_

b80_ Electromatic

Jun 21, 2018
    Mississippi, USA
    Am I the only one using Orange? Got a Dual Terror that sounds amazing with my G5420T!!

[​IMG]

LivingMyDream likes this.
  18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes. These are nicely built amps... If Orange issued a Rocker 30 combo with (a good) built-in reverb, I would have bought one. I don't even think they issued valve combos with reverb ?

A+!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    b80_ likes this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    How do you Like the Micro Dark? I was set on one until I heard the Dark Terror. Truth is minus a bit of the particular amp companies flavor my amp can do almost anything. But I would really love a Dark Terror, a Mesa Mark Five 25, and a Nocturne Moonshine! Sad isn’t it I don’t need them but they would be fun to use. What I have noticed and has saved me a bit of money is having a few different cabs with different speaker types this gives me much more versatility for my chosen amps.

b80_ likes this.
  20. rich724

rich724 Gretschie

Apr 16, 2013
    Linden, MI
    I've played my Setzer 6120 Nashville through a Orange CR120 head and Orange open back PPC212 cabinet, though I prefer to play it through my Quilter Tone Block 200 for those Fender tones.

b80_ likes this.