What kind of amps are you guys using?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Gmountain, Jun 9, 2018.

1. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Mesa Boogie Triaxis/20:20.
    Vox AC4TV10
    Blackstar ID15TVP

...depending on mood, circumstances and requirement. If a photo is mandatory, you'll have to wait.

2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Can I live with you .......

MrAstro likes this.
  3. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I am probably the oddball here, as I have the "infamous" Fender Frontman 65r that I use with both my Strat and my G5122.

It's a good amp. Nice crystal clear tone, but then on the downside, it is LOUD!!! Fender apparently used cheap Chinese components in the Frontman series amps, mainly the pots.

Every single Frontman amp will go from:
    ...barely audible...
    to
    ...Holy Mother of God!!!... :eek:
    with not even an 1/8th of an inch turn of the main volume knob!!! Seriously, "2" seems to be where the bizarre volume spike in these amps. And there is nothing you can do about it. It is what it is...

1) barely audible, whisper quiet.
    1 & 1/2) room conversation.
    1 & 3/4) loud conversation, you're playing your stereo in your house.
    2) Very loud... Your nextdoor neighbor knows you are rocking out on your guitar.
    2 & 1/4) Very VERY loud... The neighbor across the street now knows you are rocking out on your guitar.
    2 & 1/2) Insanely loud... Neighbors are now getting pissed, but don't say anything (yet).
    2 & 3/4... 3... 4... etc...) DON'T EVEN THINK IT!!! The neighbors will call the cops on you. The little old lady on the corner will have her china in the cabinet start to rattle and crack. It will soon be, "Game over man, game over!" and you're getting a huge fine and/or going to jail! LOL... :p

MrAstro and 33Jayman like this.
  4. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    F3DBCA46-692C-42AA-AC4A-8A7B82065188.jpeg VOX all day long :cool:
    Pedals, mm hmmm

5. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Fender Super Champ.
    Epiphone Valve Jr.
    Blackstar Fly for after the family go to bed.

kjmac likes this.
  6. Stratles

Stratles Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Tampa Bay
    A VOX AC10 and a Fender 57 Re-Issue...As well as a Fractal so I can scratch my Plexi itch...

7. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Running these in stereo is my favourite for hollow, solid and semi

IMG_0503.JPG

Floo, b80_, MrAstro and 1 other person like this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Mostly vintage Marshall or Reußenzehn heads. No pedals for me.

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Any pics of the Reußenzehn? Is it as good as I have thought?

10. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I buy the cheap Gretsch and put em through great amps!

Waxhead and MotorCentaur like this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Are there cheap Gretsch? I thought some were just inexpensive or more reasonably priced. I don't think I have ever seen a cheap one;)

Waxhead and gtttrrr like this.
  12. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I have a Fender Super Champ X2 that I love and also use the Blackstar Fly when travelling. However, I recently bought one of those Monoprice 15 watt tube amps and put in a matched set of Electro Harmonics Blues Jr. tubes and a Cannibus Rex Speaker. It is now my favorite combo amp. Both of them sound great through a 12X2 cab. The SC is now selling for $400.00 and I bought the Monoprice for $137.00, the tubes for $55.00 and the speaker for 79.00 for a total of roughly $271.oo.

13. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    There you are:
    IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0830.JPG
    I cannot stop raving about this amps.
    They are handmade by Thomas Reußenzehn, a veteran amp tuner from Germany.
    What makes them special is the quality of the components and the total pureness of tone.
    The complete antithesis to multi-option, multichannel amps.

Since there are not so many knops to tweak there are not too many options. So you have to love the basic sound of these amps or you will not become friends with it.

Controls: Preamp, master, tone and presence. That`s all. Wait: You can chose between 100 watts, 50 watts and 25 watts.

The amps have their roots in old plexi Marshalls. So you should not expect them to deliver high-gain.

The great thing abut it is that you can dial the ammount of clean or distortion with your guitar`s volume without losing significantly volume.
    It is a very sensitive and unforgiving tone that sits perfectly right in the mix, imho.

Stefan, MrAstro, Waxhead and 3 others like this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I doubt I will ever see one over here! But that is killer!

15. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    In Europe they were quite popular in the mid-eighties and early nineties, and I know that a few made their way to the States.
    ZZ-Top were among the more popular American artists who used to use them.
    Reußenzehn was the first to built rack-formate bass preamps and Dusty Hill was one of the first major artists to play them. It is said that the latter rack-guitar preamp was made by suggestion of Mr. Gibbons.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Stencil and Bertotti like this.
  16. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    Paradoxically, the amp I use for playing hollow-body guitars at home in the living room is one of my loudest: a 72 Watt Zinky Mofo.
    It's designed to sound as good at low volumes as it does at high volumes.
    Not surprisingly, it has the lush Fender sound on the clean channel, though I find it a little bit more organic-sounding. (I rarely turn on the dirt channel with hollowbodies -- that's clearly in Prosonic territory, though a little easier to control.)

Cheers,

Dominique.

MrAstro and Waxhead like this.
  17. JimB1122

JimB1122 Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Silver Bay, Minnesota
  18. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    For 23 years it was this 1977 Music Man 210HD 130.
    [​IMG]

Nowadays its a Fender Princeton 65 reverb reissue.
    [​IMG]

Would love a Vox ,but i just don't have the room or justification for anymore amps.

19. Highroller

Highroller Gretschie

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I like a stereo rig, so my trusty ol' 65 Deluxe Reverb RI, along with one of two Voxes - either an AC30CC2 (when I want big) or a Pathfinder 15 (when I want small). Around the house it's usually the Pathfinder.

Not too many pedals - obviously an AB/Y box, an Earthquaker Dispatch Master, a Voodoo Labs Sparkledrive, and a ProCo Rat.

Got a Boss RC3 Loop Station not too long ago, but not even remotely proficient with the thing yet. More of a gizmo toy at this point than part of my pedal "board". I could do a whole thread on that thing alone ...

MotorCentaur likes this.
  20. Linto

Linto Newbie

May 25, 2018
    England
    A 63 cooper top AC30 top boost, rebuilt by Alan Pyne into a prototype JMI cab, it's unique, looks a bit odd but is the best amp ever , seriously. Oh and a 77 Vibro Champ.

MotorCentaur likes this.