What Killed Rock Music?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Waxhead, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    :eek:oh no don't say that....:eek:. Paula Abdul was a rock star for about 10 minutes...:D
    But you get a pass cause we all did stupid things when we was 12...;).

Waxhead likes this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    She’s hot.

Henry and pmac11 like this.
  3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    That's funny and it reminds me that for the past 7 years I've done sound at a county fair the has there own version of .....Got Talent.
    One year they had 1 contestant - easy night for me...:). Another year the judges all had tin ears and they wouldn't know talent if it bit them in the ass. They would make the audience wait a really long time before they finally made their decision and I always knew how they were going to vote. They picked the person that did the song they liked best even if they did a lame ass version. The black lady judge voted for the black artist, the redneck farmer looking guy voted for the hillbilly hick singer and the old lady judge got her rocks off on the opera singer - totally predictable in each case - I hated it because a couple of really good performers fell through the cracks even though the audience responds told a different story.
    For me I refuse to watch any of those talent shows, award shows, Grammy, etc. it's a joke.
    It ended for me when they started calling rapping singing.
    What a joke - under those rules William Shatner could have won male vocalist of the year for his version of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds....:eek:

MotorCentaur, Waxhead and blueruins like this.
  4. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I have walked out of restaurants that were playing music that would ruin my meal. And told them why. Yeah, I’m cranky, but I’m also 74, so I have a right to be a grumpy old man.

new6659, wabash slim, Waxhead and 2 others like this.
  5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I don't know what this is but I like it - he looks happy enough...:D

Waxhead likes this.
  6. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m half your age and do the same thing.
    Nothing like invasively loud bad music and the smell of patchouli send me to the exit.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah so I hear :)
    Australia is a godless country by comparison.
    I've never been to a worship music thing myself but doubt they'd be punk and heavy rock friendly :)
    And death metal definitely not

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have done some shows for Hillsong in large arenas. It's not unusual for the sound mixers to specify 148 input channels for a 12-piece band! Worship Music Rock and Heavy Metal is indistinguishable from the secular version if you don't listen to the lyrics!

MrAstro and Waxhead like this.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Demon Hunter here:

Waxhead likes this.
  10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Here is my formula:
    - Rock in is various iterations has always been young peoples music.
    - To get young people interested in any kind of music you have to find a protagonist that is fascinating.
    - Youth and good looks do help a lot (young girls usually do not adore old farts) .
    - Rock needs a message that fits the spirit of the yong people of today. (No knights and demons, no Lucy in the sky with diamonds, sorry.)
    - Rock music always made people want to dance. The rhythm has to grab them by the legs. Today`s rhythm preferences are different than in the seventies. Cope with that fact.
    - Rock music is entertainment. People do want to see a show and not some introverted performers.
    - The band has to be able to write original music. Only the rights on the songs will keep them long enough in the business to make a living and to built up a following.

Every now and then a rockband makes a career even nowadays and usually all the above mentioned points are there.
    Altough I am not a fan of them, the German band Tokio Hotel comes to mind. They definitively hit a nerve worldwide although there was an extremely rock-unfriendly climate at that time.

Waxhead and pmac11 like this.
  11. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    From "The Birth of Loud" : " Like many adults, I've been in the habit of switching the radio off rather quickly the last couple years," Les Paul's old friend Bing Crosby wrote in the "New York Herald Tribune" in 1960. "Two bars of rock 'n' roll and I reach for that dial. But despite those jangling guitars, I've stayed optimistic about the future of popular music... Now I guess I was right. Rock 'n' roll seems to have run its course."

12. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    Well I play at church each Sunday even if the music is FAR from my cup of tea (except for nice old hymns which often have nice melodies). People only think it's Godless in Australia ;)

blueruins likes this.
  13. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I feel it’s likely the modern age that’s the cause. Think about all the distractions that computers, smartphones, and social media brings to the younger generations. There was a time (even just 20 years ago) when the youth had little to do in the house, so they would go outside to play, cruise the town with friends listening to music, watch bands perform, and in turn would attempt to learn an instrument to jam with friends. Now it’s Facebook, twitter, and random stuff. The simpler times are long gone.

Besides distractions with social media, the big music industry (including brick and mortar stores) is on a lifeline in part from the WWW. But a few positive online influences are... I can easily search, connect, and learn musical genres like Rockabilly when it used to be hard. And it’s so much easier to find the gear I want now. Some upcoming artists can record easier and get music out there faster without a label, but they’ve got to be tech savvy to make some money.

14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    And that's the problem the younger folks don't want to pay for anything. They've been told "everything is free". So where's that leave these young artists?
    You can't make money on your music if you give it away to make friends with your fan base and that's what a lot of these young bands do - they give it away or worst yet their fans find it free to download on the internet.
    Yeah some of the older artists still make a lot of money on CD & download sales because their fan base are older and are use to buying things.
    The whole music business is in a downward free fall because of this and the future doesn't look good. The big money in the music business these days is with the mega tours of the older acts who have control of their merchandise. The younger acts have been talked into signing away a lot of these rights to the record companies, management and tour promoters. It's a totally different ball game than the 70s, 80s and 90s when record/CD sales generated a lot of money - that's not the case today. No one is getting advance orders of their albums in the millions like in previous decades. Today if you sell 20,000 units in a week you can make it on the billboard top 40 charts. That would never happen in the 70s or 80s or even the 90s.

Waxhead and Merc like this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Jazz guitarist, Jim Hall (RIP) spoke about not having a Hip Hop lifestyle. He avoided the loudness so common in our time. The last time I went to a movie with my late mother was the movie Castaway, with Tom Hanks. I enjoyed the movie, but she was nearly overwhelmed by the volume of the soundtrack and the visual effects that portrayed the storm. I was afraid that I would have to take her home.

I mention this, simply, to make the point that the intensity of volume in much of our contemporary entertainment is a relatively new development. When I went to movies as a child, it wasn't all that loud.

Now, I love Rock 'n' Roll and understand that such music was never meant to be understated. However, there's a difference between loud and LOUD and I prefer the former. When I play, I am not a shrinking violet, but I also am very protective with regard to my ears, and I don't play at uncomfortable volume levels.

You may be onto something. I am of the opinion that, as great as smart devices can be as a tool, they have caused social problems. The obvious is the phenomenon of people ignoring others around them in favor of texting someone remote. But I think there is more. We now have non-stop entertainment, from waking up in the morning until going to sleep at night. I'm not sure that's such a good thing.

No matter what else goes on, the law of supply and demand always prevails in the long run. Up until roughly 20 years ago, the equipment to produce a quality recording was beyond the reach of most individuals. Nowadays, a computer and a relatively inexpensive recording interface are enough to produce a serviceable commercial recording. I might not be able to rival Abbey Road, but I can record something good enough for airplay. It would be feasible for me to write a song, record it, mix it and have it on iTunes before bedtime tonight. The record companies just don't have the clout that they used to.

I guess there are still hits; I really don't know. Contemporary youth-market music is of zero interest to me and I don't follow it in the slightest. One thing I am certain of, however, is that a phenomenon like the Beatles, when they held all of the Top 5 songs at the same time, is not happening today. My explanation is that there are too many choices today. In 1964, all the teens in a small city might very well have been listening to the same radio station. When they took a drive in their parent's car, they were all listening to the same soundtrack. (Think American Graffiti.) I wasn't old enough to drive then, but I was ready, willing and able to tag along with my older sister and her friends, so I experienced this firsthand. I wasn't driving until the '70s, but early '70s Denver meant that you were probably listening to KIMN and, once again, if a new song was introduced on that station, there was a pretty good chance that all of my friends had heard the very same song. These days, we'd all be listening to our custom playlists, quite possibly through headphones while we rode in the same car.

The next Beatles won't be happening in the foreseeable future, unless there is a unifying social or political event that captures the attention of the music buying public to the exclusion of all other music sources.

new6659, Waxhead and Merc like this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Speaking of movies, we recently discussed how music has compressed over time. Seems like movies have gone the opposite direction. I often find dialogue too quiet and the action parts too loud, and I'm constantly changing the volume.

PDogga, MTurner and Waxhead like this.
  17. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I never go see the new movies in the theater unless something really special comes along (doesn’t happen very often).
    I agree, the soundtrack is ridiculous since the cinema has gone totally digital. When theaters used film prints it was simpler because the soundtrack was in stereo and perfect. Now it’s all super bassy clean digital sound played along to a digital file. The bass is out of control!

Luckily we STILL have 2 drive-ins in our area. It’s a lot more fun to watch newer crappy movies when you can control the volume yourself and bring your dog.

Oh, newer big budget action movies are terrible these days, but Mad Max: Fury Road was the exception. I saw that sucker three times on the big screen, and I wish i had seen it three more times!

18. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Could you speak up, sonny? All you young attorneys mumble! :)

All kidding aside, I’m right wit’ you, Henry. I’ve noticed that very same thing. Without a remote, I’d be in trouble. Actually, I usually put the English subtitles on screen for that very reason. My hearing is excellent, no real deterioration that I am aware of, but the mix on some of these new movies is awful.

Henry and Waxhead like this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes totally agree Synchro - which brings us to ..... The Loudness Wars :)
    what's that?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice