What is "twang"?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Geckomecca, May 25, 2019.

1. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    This to, is twang - intro

savofenno likes this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Brilliant :rolleyes:

savofenno likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    savofenno likes this.
  4. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    Well, I like to think that "twang" is a sound that is produced straight from a guitar pickup with no frequency filtering. This sound includes great deal of reverberation effects and may have a bit of slow vibrato effect.

First: Duane Eddy using the neck pickup:

Then: Don Rich using then bridge pickup:

And every thing in between.

Lee

5. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    I'm not sure it's even about pickups. A banjo is a twangy instrument too. I think it's just a bitey trebley sound from a string with not too much sustain. Even Jerry Reed has been described as twangy and he played a nylon!

6. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    For me guitar Twang is expecially played on first frets, close to the nut, often with open strings single notes

Wjensen and Jena like this.
  7. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    To me, that's something aggressive in the treble range but not too much, with tremolo. Whether an actual tremolo or something your ears & brain are quick to interpret as light tremolo or close to it.

I'd always thought about it for guitars only. Still wondering how you hear twang in Hank Williams' voice. Is that the tremolo he sings? Is that the kinda rough treble in his timbre?

8. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Twang is characterized by overtones, which can be brought out by playing close to the bridge. In comparison, pluck a note in the middle of a string's length. You'll mostly get the first harmonic. For Duane twang, add tremolo.

Teles are twangy, but you have to play close to the bridge. Consider Bill Kirchen's sound in Hot Rod Lincoln. He's playing behind the bridge pickup. How does he mute strings? Is he using his left hand?

There's twang versus woodiness too. I tend to equate the two.

new6659 and Jena like this.
  9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Good call, Henry. I remember a fellow that described Gretsch guitars as sounding “sproinky”, and I think he was getting at the same thang. The word “thang”, as opposed to “thing” is, IMHO, somewhat twangy. When I got my first electric guitar, I was disappointed that it didn’t seem to have a twangy sound.

For my money, a Gretsch with Filtertron-family pickups is a good platform to achieve twang. When I heard a Brian Setzer concert on DVD, I knew I had found what I was looking for. It’s easy to take for granted, but every now and then, I’ll be playing as part of the band and take note of the guitar sound, always with great pleasure.

savofenno and Henry like this.
  10. Twang . . .
    that "electric twanger" makes me think it is an amplified sound . . .
    that . . . that . . . "electric twanger" . . .

11. Geckomecca

Geckomecca Electromatic

Feb 1, 2018
    Gore, VA
    I step out of the room for two minutes, and look what happens!!!! Thank you friends and forgive me for not responding to each comment, photo, or video. You have enlightened me beyond expectation and i really appreciate your take on "twang". (Those last four words sounded a bit odd.) Anyhow, thank you. Personally i now feel that my tele foots the bill for twang more so than my 5420. But as much as i love teles, i find my 5420 more inspiring for some reason. Either way, its all a win-win!! Thanks so much friendly Gretsch people. Gecko

12. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Jeff Beck is pretty "Twangy" here on his Gretsch tribute to Cliff gallup, but I like Setzer's better...

13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Jeff Beck is close to 100% Cliff Gallup tone & notes, Brian is...Brian. And afaik he‘s playin a Strat or Telly on the ROCK THERAPY Album.

savofenno likes this.
  14. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Anything's possible:
    [​IMG]

savofenno likes this.
  15. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Double Twangy
    [​IMG]

MrAstro likes this.
  16. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Twang is also the sound you hear when your guitar falls off the stand :(

Wjensen likes this.
  17. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    twang
    /twaNG/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    noun: twang; plural noun: twangs
    1. 1.
      a strong ringing sound such as that made by the plucked string of a musical instrument or a released bowstring.
      • a nasal or other distinctive manner of pronunciation or intonation characteristic of the speech of an individual, area, or country. "an American twang"
    Think about how any American Actor sounds whenever they perform as Robin Hood.

This is how you produce it with your voice....
    [​IMG]

18. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    I think Bugs Bunny did a stand up job of that but honestly how can an American actor play Robin Hood - no one can understand their accents haha :) although I guess Errol Flynn did and he was Australian.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    savofenno likes this.
  19. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    No Twang here as Englishman John Cleese plays the role:

MrAstro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice