What is this thing?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Nickels, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Nickels

Nickels Electromatic

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Hey everyone!
    I am in the process of examining the components of my ‘69 Gretsch Duo Jet and considering whether I will replace them or not, due to rust and age, and they are all slowly starting to fail.
    As I was going through and trying to trace the wiring, these guys popped out. They both seem to be coming from the direct pickup wires. There’s one from the neck and one from the bridge.
    Does anyone have any idea what they are, and their purpose? They seem to be just extenders for the wires, but the pickup leads are pretty long as they are.
    Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Early version of quick connect plugs—makes servicing easier, since you don’t have to solder the pickup leads should you need to remove them.

wabash slim likes this.
  3. Nickels

Nickels Electromatic

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Thanks for the quick response! That makes sense as to what they are, but I'm just not sure how they work. The leads are soldered on both sides, and it doesn't appear the parts slide apart from each other. Is the point that instead of soldering the pickup leads, you are soldering the plug?

4. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

It's just a quick way of jointing the wires together instead of splicing them. Normally you'd twist the ground wires together, twist the signal wires together, solder them, and then tape them to insulate them from each other

Using those turrets is quicker and probably more robust.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's the male end. The female is made to accept it. The reason for solder on both ends is it's much like an old school RCA male. The wire is inserted into the tube and flooded with solder.

audept and tartanphantom like this.
  6. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    bingo.

7. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    If it were me, I'd be inclined to splice and direct solder the pickups and not use these anymore. In that case, I would slide heat shrink into place beforehand so you can create a bullet proof connection that will never have issues.

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice