What is the Best rock and roll band of all time.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by dlew919, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    This is Rawk n Roll man... we break rules!

I’ll add Thin Lizzy, Van Halen & LED Zepplin cause it feels good to break rules!

dlew919 likes this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Well, the Beatles were a hyped up Skiffle group, the first boy band of it's kind at that. They only adapted to rock n roll when they performed in Hamburg opening for the likes of the Tielman brothers, who were real rock n rollers. :cool:

dlew919 and Henry like this.
  3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah I hear Skiffle all over Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road. There's even a touch shows through on Helter Skelter...:rolleyes:...:D.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Exactly.

dlew919 likes this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Soooooo, The “King of Rock n’ Roll” was just a country singer? Those original original Sun recordings featuring such Rock n’ Roll/Rockabilly standards as “That’s Alright Mama”, “Mystery Train”, “Baby, let’s Play House” were just country songs?!
    Wonders never cease ;)

T Bone and Merc like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Maybe it’s me, but a lot of the Sun songs recorded with Elvis singing doesn’t sound like 50’s country singing. Compare it to Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, and of course the Honky Tonk bands of the era. His singing sounds nothing like country. He first started singing Choir in church and loved Gospel music throughout his life. Which had more influence on him then country.

Elvis, Scotty and Bill gave birth to Rock and Roll nationally... no doubt about it. If the rules were different he’d likely be #1 for most people. Honestly the rules (no offense) are wacky. As much as I love even newer bands like the Stray Cats and others that arrived after the years selected. Hands down it needs to go to the originals... Elvis, Jerry Lee, Gene, Chuck, Buddy, Burnette, etc. They weren’t copies or tried to sound like a certain era, they were playing it fresh and original at the beginning. It doesn’t make sense that bands that come decades later should be in the same running even if some may be better in certain ways. Maybe the rules should’ve been for each decade instead, but that’s just my thoughts.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    new6659 and T Bone like this.
  7. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    I know what you're saying, but it sure isn't the blues either. I agree with the gospel music thing too. It's just an observation.

T Bone likes this.
  8. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    The rules were not to deny the importance of the great solo acts. They are hugely important. But one of the things the Beatles do is make it possible for a band to be big - when you think about it, rock and roll and rockabilly didn't actually have many 'bands' - the vast majority were 'Main Person' and the 'Clever names'. Now, the bands were terrific - Gene Vincent's band, Elvis's bands (Scotty, Bill and PJ, or the TCBs, or anyone else), Little Richard's early bands, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck's bands, the Crickets, etc.... The DooWop guys are an exception. But is doowop rock and roll? That's a question for another thread. (Short answer - definitely maybe, perhaps.)
    But where we started talking (my friend and I) were actual bands - complete units as opposed to a star vehicle. Some really interesting choices have come up here - She Na Na, for example. Paul Nevere and the Raiders sort of count, although there's a 'front man'.

I accepted the One-ders. No-one said The Hawks, who become The Band. My friend is adamant that the greatest band is the Cramps. But I'm torn between pre-1964 Beatles, pretty much for the reasons given above, The Hawks , the Stray Cats and The Cramps. But I can't ignore The Animals or She Na Na.

As for the all-time greats, the Five - Elvis, Richard, Jerry Lee, Chuck and Buddy. But what order you put them in, and whether you think, no, Fats, Carl, Gene, Eddy, Duane, Wanda, Bo, Del, Roy....

It's bean a great discussion, and I wasn't expecting it to be so long and so far-reaching.
    But I hope you see my reasoning... and let's continue it!

Merc and T Bone like this.
  9. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Quite right. And let's not forget Jailhouse Rock. And Hound Dog.

You are correct, it's not the Blues. Also not Country. Have you never heard "The Blues and Country had a child, and they called it Rock and Roll"? Influenced by and elements of both. The roots/birth of Rock and Roll.

Merc and calebaaron666 like this.
  10. gretschbo

gretschbo Gretschie

Jun 10, 2008
    London Ontario Canada
    How about Bo Diddley - His mid '50s line up was pretty good rock n roll -

wildeman, calebaaron666 and dlew919 like this.
  11. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah but Paul Revere was the keyboard player and not the front man. Mark Lindsay was the original singer but there were others too. Paul was in the band from start to finish. So Paul Revere and The Raiders were definitely a band - and they all wore tights...:D.

dlew919 likes this.
  12. Charging Charlie

Charging Charlie Gretschie

Jun 21, 2018
    Maryland
    BEATLES !!!
    The Stones
    Dave Clark Five
    (sorry guys.....I like the British Invasion Era . LOL )

MTurner likes this.
  13. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Stones, Creedence (they're definetly a RnR band for me!), Real Kids (their 1st album is totally Real rocknroll!! More than Ramones, yeah!), Johnny Burnette's Trio, Stray Cats, Devil Dogs and thousands other bands who keep the Rock'n'roll Spirit alive playng Rockabilly, Surf, Garage punk rock'n'roll...

dlew919 likes this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The Rolling Stones claimed that title years ago. Nobody actually awarded it to them, it's something they did themselves.

dlew919 likes this.
  15. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I can claim to be a poached egg, but it doesn't make me a poached egg.

:p:D:)

new6659, wabash slim and aiabx like this.
  16. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    How can forget... Flamin Groovies!!

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    But you're still a good egg!
    I'm more like scrambled.

MTurner likes this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Hells yes!

Rusty Silver likes this.
  19. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Electromatic

Jul 22, 2019
    Canada
    Sidney Castel belongs in this thread.

It's like the simplicity of the early Beatles meets the bluesy lyricism of the Stones meets musicality and vocals of Neil Young.

I love this guy.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice