What hinge for a '64 6118, please?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Manis77, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Manis77

Manis77 Electromatic

Sep 30, 2012
    freiburg
    Hello dear forum,

it is a few days ago that I've bought a Double Anni from 1964.
    I would like to upgrade it with a B6 built in the same era .

Researching the topic I learnt that there different hinges for different models.

see here:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-1960...140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58be8fc8cc

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-60s-...145?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58be8fc8d1

Which one would be the most appropriate?

Cheers
    Manis

Attached Files:

2. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Actually Manis... the hinge is less of a concern than the style of Bigsby you are considering. By 1964 if a Gretsch guitar received a Bigsby it was usually the V-style "Gretsch by Bigsby" unit (still considered a B6 for archtops). The links that you have shared show the more traditional B6 unit used on other manufacturers guitars during the period.

Attached Files:

3. Manis77

Manis77 Electromatic

Sep 30, 2012
    freiburg
    Dear Wayne,
    thank you for your reply.
    So, do you think the holes for the screws and the strap will fit the holes of the original tailpiece?

Manis

4. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    I know your question was directed at Wayne, but the answer is no.

Depending on what hinge style you get (i.e., as long as it's a solid one and not one with the large oval opening) you can drill the hinge to match the existing holes.

If you don't want to do this to a vintage Bigsby then consider getting a modern Bigsby.

Here is a picture I've put up here a dozen times, every time this question comes up.

The only other option if you want to put a Bigsby on this guitar is to drill new holes.

Attached Files:

5. Manis77

Manis77 Electromatic

Sep 30, 2012
    freiburg
    Cheers Knavel,

I have no problem with either drilling new holes in the guitar nor in the bigsby.
    What I worry about is the screw for the strap pin.
    I dont want to remove this one from my giutar.

The appropriate V cut has a pointy end which seems to overlap the pin screw.
    The ones with the oval shaped hole and cut end are a bit shorter and I think it might fit better...

What do you think?

6. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    You need to get measurements from both where the strap pin sits on your guitar and the length of the Bigsby hinge to really be sure.

Note that the Bigsby hinges do come up a little bit above the front bottom edge of the guitar to make a right angle with the main unit so you have some more room than you might think.

I would say that you have a decent chance that the shorter hinge -- your first link above-- would work. This is because you can see the longer one on my 1960 Anniversary and it almost allows for the pin to be where it was originally. You can see the hole just under it. I don't like "Gretsch by Bigsby" ones on single cutaway guitars so I got a modern 50s style.

If you don't mind putting new holes in the hinge I don't see why you don't just move the placement of the strap button. The bigger problem you will have with that guitar are the hi lo trons. I got rid of the one on mine and added a bridge pick up. It is one of the best sounding guitars I own now.

Attached Files:

7. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
  8. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Isn't the problem with that approach that the hinge pin loses is flange? Danman mentioned this when he had those blank hinges made. I have never changed out the hinge so I don't know what it entails.

9. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    knavel... I'll admit that I've never done it either. But it doesn't look like it would be rocket science. But I could be wrong...

10. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Ask Dan about it Ed. I was surprised myself when he talked about how he can only have the pin in there so that if the strings aren't tightened and you turn the guitar upside down the pin will fall out. The guy does his own fret jobs so maybe it's more complicated than meets the eye?

11. Manis77

Manis77 Electromatic

Sep 30, 2012
    freiburg
    Thanks again.
    I guess I will go with one with the shorter hinges.
    even though the v cut seems the correct one, as Wayne stated, I like the classic bigsbys better. Plus I dont want to mess around with changing the hinge..

Knavel, what do you mean by saying the 'bigger problem are the hi lo trons'?
    Just sound wise?
    I pretty much like their sound quite a bit. crisp, clear, twangy to my ears....

12. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    If you really like the hi lo's then there is no problem at all. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice