What happened to the Zero fret?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by dmunson, Aug 8, 2019.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The zero fret makes sense while they continue to use badly cut nuts on new guitars.

2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Is it arguably harder to do a custom set up with a zero fret. A nut can be customized by height, but once the zero fret is in, your only option is to replace it.

3. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I think Setzers zero fret may have been worn down causing him issues with action and playability not to mention tone.. probably was a real pain

Sabato likes this.
  4. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Logic and results support the zero fret.

Cost and maybe demand do not.

It is easier to add later on than to replace, so from the point of view that any mass produced item is a basis, meant to fit as many people's needs and wants and shoulds as possible, it is the right decision to take it out.

But a lot of the Gretschness is about being different in a certain way, it has a tradition in that brand and is, as far as I hear and read, pretty popular.

I maybe will add one, too. Not sure yet. I'll see...

I wouldn't hesitate in doing something non-exotic and non-standard in Gretsch's position, but someone who has a bit more influence than I have seems seeing this different. They're fine both ways anyway...

5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    My Tennessean has one and I play that guitar the most but that's more because that guitar means more to me then the others, I like the idea of the zero fret as like others says it makes sense to me to put them in, but in saying that my other guitars don't have them and I won't not pick them up because of it.

In my opinion it could be one of those things that depend on the music you play/style of your playing but that's just me.

That and to me it seems that Fender are maybe wanting to broaden the demographic of Gretsch buyers, 10-15 years ago here in Queensland (Australia) when I was trying to buy gretsch guitars you would be hard pressed to find them in any music store, the only people who kept them where the high end places or the boutique/collectible stores, now they are in most stores with one of the sales people telling me the other day that they are trying to get more younger people to try them out as they tend to pigeon hole what they are due to the looks and that not a lot of mainstream pop/rock artist play them.

radd likes this.
  6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Zero frets tend to get grooves in them pretty quickly from the constant pressure from the strings. Bending strings near the nut leads to a clicking noise as the string pops out of the divot.

new6659 and Henry like this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yep, that's why I actually think the zero glide may be superior to the Gretsch style that I have, no spacing between the but and zero fret . . And reversible

8. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I have had tuning issues with my 5120 - which is on its second nut - and I am sorely tempted to give a zero glide a try.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice