What guitar polish do you like?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Apr 7, 2019.

1. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Alright yall, how are you keeping your Gretsch nice and shiny?

2. gruffydd3

gruffydd3 Electromatic

Nov 3, 2018
    maryland
    I use Gibson Pump Polish. It's quick to use, works well, and smells good.

MotorCentaur and 5120mantis like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  4. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I use the d'addario 3 step system once in while. Really brings back the shine.
    I go over it with a swiffer cloth in between. Swiffer cloth works well at getting rid of finger prints and smudge marks. Quick wipe down does wonders

5120mantis likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I never polish my guitars unless I’m removing swirls or scratches. Then I use Valma polish from a car shop. It's a Maquire swirl remover type paste at 1/3 of the price and 1/5 of its effectiveness.;)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  6. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    I don't use polish. A slightly damp microfibre cloth works just fine for me for regular cleaning.

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is great for removing swirl marks.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    mandobandit and Henry like this.
  7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
  8. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Mine's an Electromatic, so it's poly, so anything other than a damp cloth is a waste of time and money.

As far as nitro goes, just remember, every time you use polish on it, you're removing finish.

9. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Martin Guitar Polish is still the best I've found. Gibson is my 2nd choice.

10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Gibson pump polish. Safe for Nitro and also great on poly. Better cleaning than chalky water and it leaves a shiny, not glossy surface. And it smells good ;)

Edit: by the way, are Electros polyester or polyurethane coated?

11. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
  12. David_D

David_D Gretschie

Oct 14, 2015
    New Jersey
    Maguiar's Ultimate compound for electrics. Does not leave any residues and removes surface scratches. Lemon Oil for wood acoustics.

13. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Interesting topic. I must admit that I am lazy and I don't polish my guitars or even wipe my strings down after playing. I have noticed recently that I am getting quite bad swirling on my latest guitars where my fingers brush around while I'm picking. Either my fingers are getting more abrasive in my old age or the finish on these two (Jackson and Schecter) are not as tough as my older guitars.

14. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    A light spritz of MusicNomad All-Purpose Guitar Detailer for the body. Dunlop65 Ultimate Lemon Oil for the fretboard. And a bit of Dunlop65 String Cleaner and Conditioner now and then.

LongJohn likes this.
  15. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Common every day cleaning I use Lemon Pledge ... for like 50 years now. I even use it to clean strings if I want one more gig out of them.
    For good body polishing I use 3M Finesse It ll. (not cheap but great stuff)

shrews824 and mrfixitmi like this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Tap water, distilled water if I have it. If it really is dirty then maybe a touch of white vinegar. Foodngeade mineral oil for fretboard. Both are inexpensive, pure and effective tools that are safe on your skin and hands and in your mouth, and won't leave any residue or build up on your guitar. Honestly, I wonder what some of you guys do with your guitars to require chemicals for cleaning.

new6659 likes this.
  17. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Virtuoso cleaner and polish once or twice a year and a light spritz of the Dunlop polish/cleaner when needed. GHS fast fret keeps the strings clean and Gerlitz guitar honey works great on non maple fret boards.

pmac11 likes this.
  18. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    I use Professor Green’s Cleaner and will do so until my bottle runs out. They went out of business. I hope I can find something as good. Sigh. :(

19. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Guutar honey is great!
    I bought the jim dunlop kit with lemon oil poilish and string cleaner and also use gibson pump polish.

LongJohn likes this.
  20. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I used to jam with this guy that spent more time polishing his guitar than playing it.

You know, I get the whole "pride of ownership" thing, but dang, he was totally OCD about it! Lol!

Anyway, I'm not like that. A little dab of Virtuoso on the back of the neck when I do a string change, and that's about it... unless there's a visible need to do more. Some of my guitars haven't been polished in years. A few never.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice