What Else Do You Collect?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jan 27, 2020.

1. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Keen observation. I never thought of it as a collection. We use their Chet Atkins Orange cookware and place settings every day. Lots of little doodads you can pick up as well as the signature big ticket pieces. We just dug out the little heart shaped enamel ramekin things.

2. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Great collection!
    Actually, the brand name is Le Creuset.
    Which is the masculine article, same as the name which means a crucible, not the feminine article. Yes. Us silly French with our objects and related articles having a gender...

drmilktruck and Henry like this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    How embarrassing, I forgot another kitchen brand we love . . . Pyrex. From modern storage to vintage bowls to place settings, we have a nice little collection. They are everywhere, very affordable, even the old stuff. I'll have to post some pictures. Here is a little one I use for picks.
    20200131_081641.jpg

4. afire

afire Country Gent

I have one plain cast iron skillet and a big dutch oven, but I could definitely use more Le Creuset in my life. I don't really care much about the plain cast iron, as I've never developed any skill for properly caring for them. But I love the enamel cooking surface. It hits the perfect sweet spot between stainless and non-stick.

My first collecting interest (and why I registered for eBay as afire, which then became my online ID everywhere) was Art Deco vintage lighters. That kind of waned as my interest shifted to watches, but I still have a couple of nice ones. Not my pictures, but these are some of the models I used to have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

captainmur, Jeff67, Merc and 11 others like this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Those are awesome, now I need to find one, my wife would love it.
    We also have 3 or 4 cast iron skillets of varying sizes - true work horses of the kitchen and good for your health as well.

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I've always liked watches (wrist watches). When I was a kid, I was always fascinated with watches and always liked digital watches that did a lot of stuff (more than just basic time telling), though more recently I've gotten to also like analog watches. I've never really considered myself a collector, but right now I have 4 watches I really like - A Casio analog-digital (solar-powered with a rechargeable 10-year battery), a couple of Seiko analog watches, and a Samsung Galaxy smart watch. As you can probably tell, I like metal watch bands.
    MyWatches-1.jpg MyWatches-2.jpg

Not too long ago, I found out about a Seiko watch that I think looks really nice, the SRP409J. It seems it was a limited production 50th anniversary model they sold in 2013, and they're hard to find now. I wouldn't mind buying one if I could find one.
    https://yeomanseiko.com/2013/09/22/seiko-5-50th-anniversary-srp409j/
    https://www.creationwatches.com/pro...s-automatic-srp409j1-srp409j-srp409-4162.html
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    captainmur, Merc, mrfixitmi and 4 others like this.
  7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Love those!:cool:

Henry likes this.
  8. heinzman

heinzman Gretschie

I`m collecting experiences !! ;-)

wabash slim, Merc and larryb like this.
  9. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Great collection. I don't own any, but I cannot resist the temptation to go inside every Le Creuset shop I find (not that I come across many). Their gear looks great.

Henry likes this.
  10. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I mentioned before that I don't consider myself a collector of fountain pens, but on putting them all together, well, it's getting dangerously closer. Look (yes, I know there's an intruder there, but it's a nice nib holder, and it deserved being included in the family photo):

IMG_4689.JPG
    (In case there's someone here who's also interested in fountain pens, these are a TWSBI Diamond 580 AL, two Lamy Safaris, an Ohto Tasche, a Waterman Kultur, a Jinhao 500, an unnamed wooden pen, the intruder, four Platinum Preppys, a Rotring ArtPen, three Jinhao 991, a UK Parker Duofold AF from 1948, a Parker Jotter, three Parker Vectors, a Parker IM, two Scripto pens from the 50s, a Pilot Custom 823, a Pilot Custom 74, a Pelikan M205 Duo, a Pilot 78G and a Faber-Castell Ambition. Nothing fancy or expensive, but good enough for me.)

And, now that I think of it, there's something I've got which combines this small collection with my real Darin 7" records collection:

DarinScripto2CompleteFront.jpg

Though, of course, I'll never use this pen or the cartridges (though I do listen to the record).

drmilktruck, Groutsch and thunder58 like this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @afire we had these made years ago IMG_2671.JPG IMG_2672.JPG

Merc, tartanphantom and drmilktruck like this.
  12. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Old watches and BB/Pellet guns, that I have learned to restore, this keeps me out of the potato chip bags, and the ice cream! Since we cannot mention guns:
    1930's to 1950's Mido, 1920's to 1960's Gruen, 1940's Eisner, Bulova women's watches 1920's to 1940's, Elgin Pocket watches (18S) 1880's to 1920's.
    Test Pressing records from when I worked at my Uncle's record die shop, and multiple autographed record albums from when I played at various events.
    Bottom line my wife says too much junk, but at least they are smaller than guitars and banjos.

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
    I have too many hobbies :) and not much money :( to be a proper collector but I've collected a some interesting things :
    1. Tin toys, both vintage items and modern replicas from all over the world : Japanese, Russian, French, German, Chinese

SPACE 006.jpg IMG_20160401_202847.jpg IMG_20160401_202938.jpg IMG_20160401_203322.jpg IMG_20160401_203707.jpg IMG_20200212_143743.jpg

2. Watches and clocks, mainly by Japanese watch brand Orient (some Swiss made watches too) , main thing is movement with interesting complications

SOMES007.jpg IMG_20160210_144001.jpg Navy_002.jpg
    ORI 123.jpg

3. Tin signs (looking for a Gretsch tin sign;))

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  14. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Electromatic

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    Any talk about collecting always reminds of an article I read in American Way magazine on a flight to the west coast a couple of years ago. It was about a guy whose job over 30-40 years required him to fly all over the world on a weekly basis. He started saving and collecting.....get this......Barf bags. His collection of bags was over 2000 bags from numerous airlines all over the world many of which are no longer in business. What ever floats yer boat.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Electromatic

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    As far as what else I collect...For about 30 years, I have raced radio controlled cars, in particular, 1/8 fuel onroad. I started wall hanging my old retired chassis. What you see here is about a 30 year span of the chassis I have used eighthcollection.jpg sis I have used.

thunder58 and drmilktruck like this.
  16. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    I collected a few 35mm cameras (Nikon and Canon). So far I have accumulated a Canon EF, A1, AE1P, AV1 and Nikon FE (fabulous camera) all in great condition and stupidly cheap for such high quality, along with a selection of Canon FD and Nikkor lenses. I also have a model railway layout and a large collection of British railway-related books, technical and historical, from the steam era, many of which are rare and long out of print.

drmilktruck and new6659 like this.
  17. afire

afire Country Gent

Not to stereotype, but does your wife like candles? I know mine certainly does and a lot of women seem to. If so (assuming you and Ms. Henry aren't smokers), then an excellent vintage lighter choice would be a Ronson Touch Tip. They have a wand with a wick tip soaking in a fuel reservoir. You pull the wand out and press a button that shoots a spark and you have a tiny torch, perfect for getting into candles to light the wick. And they make a fine mantelpiece decoration. There are always some listed on eBay. The designs range from relatively spartan to wildly flamboyant, and are priced accordingly. The most common model, the Octette, can often be had for around $150. The first time I saw one I was a youngster watching "The Maltese Falcon" and thought whatever Sam Spade lit his cigarette with was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. But I had no idea what it was until I spotted one at an antiques store several years later. And that's how I started collecting lighters. My first was a white Octette.

[​IMG]

Here's Sam lighting his smoke with a Touch Tip with clock, which I also had at one point.

18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Smoke what?:rolleyes: Lol, we are not smokers but love fire. I will check those out.

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. afire

afire Country Gent

Well, as Humphrey Bogart demonstrates, they are also proficient at lighting things dangling from one's mouth, whatever such things may contain.

drmilktruck and Henry like this.
  20. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    During high school, my mom came into my room while I was under a desk that I was putting together, distracted and frustrated. She says, " your clothes stink! Have you been smoking?"

My mouth moved faster than my brain and I replied, "smoke what?"

She screams "Cigarettes!"

"No, mom." I always blamed one of my friends who smoked ciggies.

afire, drmilktruck and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice