What electromatic hollowbody is the thinnest ?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by dan P, Oct 28, 2008.

1. dan P

dan P Country Gent

Jul 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    Im still shopping, and would like to find a thin hollow body, is there one in the 5100 series? Thanks all ! Ive been looking at the 5122, seem to like the looks of the doulble cut vs 5120, anyone have the 5122, tell me how you like her, please !

2. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    I think the 3140 is the thinest at 1.73 inches and my 3161 is 2.25 I think. I will have both by the first part of next week. The G3161 I have now and I just bought the 3140 from John S.

3. dan P

dan P Country Gent

Jul 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    JB, did you hit the lottery ? Congrats on the new guitars, that 64 6120 sure looks tempting, did you think about making him an offer? Also, whats a banjo like to play...?

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Jukebox is the lottery. :)

5. dan P

dan P Country Gent

Jul 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    thought somethun was up....

6. SJB66

SJB66 Gretschie

Jul 12, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Dan P,
    I have a black G5122, and it is a great guitar. The stock pick ups are pretty good too. Comfortable guitar, plays and sounds great and it is very light in weight. Good looker too!
    Karl

7. dan P

dan P Country Gent

Jul 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    SBJ66, picture? wish this gal was made in orange...! Im more or less an armchair player, comfortable....? Have you had to deal with any binding issues on the neck, and can you tell me, if you have a 6000 series how does they compare ( as in the gretsch sound) Thats what Im after, kinda like like a poor mans CG. Does that make any sense?

8. SJB66

SJB66 Gretschie

Jul 12, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    [​IMG]

Dan P,
    It has a really good sound and playability. I play through a Vox AC30 and the sound is incredible. You can get some great sounds from the 5122, very close to the 6122. I have had no binding issues at all. The guitar is great. It gets those Beatles tones with faltwounds on it.
    Karl

9. dan P

dan P Country Gent

Jul 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    Thank you Karl, that helps a whole bunch ! From what the website says its a new model for 2008, there looks to be a heck of a lot of 5100 series guitars made over the last few years, and trying to sort this out is maddening.... Its a lot more confusing than trying to find a good strat, with that you have at least the basic model, the gretschs seem to be all over the place.. although a no ac-30 here, I do have a el-84 based 50 watt tube amp that is somewhat close...somewhat one step at a time...thanks again, Dan

10. bobframe

bobframe Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    US
    It seems like every movie I see, the activity in the barbershop is always on the wrong side of the law. Except for Andy of Mayberry, of course.

11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Somebody put some work into that little clip.

12. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    OK Dan, I measured my G3161,it its 1 7/8 thick and the G3140 is suppose to be just shy of that. No I didn't make an offer on that '64 6120. I just paid off the 3140 so that will get shipped on Thursday form JohnS.
    Banjo; depends on which one. The Six string plays and tunes like a guitar, The Tenor banjo (4 string) tunes and plays like a tenor guitar and the five string banjo tunes in a open "G" tuneing. There is diff. styles of playing the 5 string ,rolls and flailing are the most common. I play the roll style. It's like finger picking, with a twist. not that hard to learn.Most people have a harder time learning the chords on a mandolin.

13. bug music

bug music Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Taxachusetts
    Woah !! I missed that one on the website, is this a brand new model ?
    Thanks a lot for the GAS guys ! :D
    Maybe one of you could come testify for me in divorce court, or at least help the homicide guys identify the guitar when she smashes it to smithereens on my corpse. :eek:

Man, I need one of those in the Red Walnut . :);)

- Jay

14. bobframe

bobframe Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    US
    Jay,

Let me offer some words of encouragement.

Your problem is that your collection has not yet reached what I like to call "critical mass". This means that it's too easy for her to count your guitars and to memorize what you have. Once you get beyond her ability to memorize your guitars, each new guitar will confuse her and if she asks "Is that one NEW?" , you'll simply reply, "No, I've had that". And since you have HAD it, if only for a matter of minutes, you will be telling the truth. She will, and I guarantee this part, simply respond "Oh" and walk away.

And Jay, we ALWAYS want to tell our lovely wives the truth.

Hope this was helpful.

BTW, my wife taught me this technique with her shoe collection. Worked beautifully.

15. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Tell her what my wifes says "You can have all the guitars you want! BECAUSE when your dead,I'm going to sell them anyways. So enjoy them while you can." It works for me! I put a apple orchard in so her boyfriend has something to do when I'm dead!

16. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    The 3140 or 3161 They do not make any more . They are the heritage series with the cats eye.

17. bobframe

bobframe Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    US
    Pure, unadulterated genius. I salute you sir. And I will start on my own orchard this day.

18. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Bob that u-tube clip was great! I'm still laughing!

19. bug music

bug music Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Taxachusetts
    That is a riot Jukebox ! Like Bob said "pure genius" !
    I was able to slide a Squier Classic Vibe Tele into the collection, because it looks like just another Tele, but the archtops are too "pretty". She notices the "pretty" ones, your right Bob, I'll have to grow the collection some to be able to slip another one in.

- Jay

20. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    The funny thing about it,is,that it's true!!!!