What are your thoughts on the new Rat Rods?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by 33Jayman, Jan 26, 2020.

1. 33Jayman

33Jayman Electromatic

Mar 31, 2018
    Marne, Michigan
    I have been contemplating at 5420 for some time. I have not bought one because of a couple things. First is that the body is deep and not all that comfortable to play while seated and the second was the gloss neck. The Rat Rod 5410s are thinner and I think, don't know for sure but I would imagine that neck isn't gloss finished as the body is a matte or satin finish??? Either way I wouldn't have a problem scotch brighting the back of the neck.

I talked to a guy at a LGS yesterday and asked him to call me as soon as they get one of these in.

Anyone else interested in this new model?

Jayman

2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I do like the idea of a shallower body. You can also take a look at the 5422, which is a half-inch thinner than the 5420.

3. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I think they look cool. The red pickups kinda throw me off, but overall I think I dig em.

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  4. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I think they look pretty sweet. Not too keen on the shallower body though.

5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Obviously haven’t played one yet as they just came out. It’s all preference but the body depth is one of the features that would attract me. 2.25 is what my Hot Rod and G6118 were and they felt great.

6. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    I love the look of them, but the only I'm not sure about is the body depth. I tend to always lean towards the thicker 2.75" body if I can... I'm looking forward to trying one out when the opportunity is there.

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I like them, but the color combos are all wrong for my prefs. Closest one to keep stock is the white one, but I’d ditch the red covers in all cases. The white one only needs white covers, and it could only be better for me if they two-toned it. Then it would be “take my money” :)

Body depth makes no difference to me, I like the big bodies (a must have on a G6120, CC, or Falcon), but a thinner fully hollow body is cool too. The depth is the same as a G5422, no?

B9B5712B-1156-4A84-AFAC-F0D371FFD27F.jpeg

thunder58 and 33Jayman like this.
  8. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I like the thinner body. I have a peerless 5125 with the thinner body I used in a punk rockabilly band and it was great not feeling like I was lugging a huge hollowbody around. I love the flat finishes. Hate the pickups and pick guards. Rat rods are stripped down and nasty. No room for a pickguard.
    Theyre going for $66 a month on AMS. I’m probably going to get a couple

33Jayman and Merc like this.
  9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I think the flat black is kinda cool.

BorderRadio and Merc like this.
  10. 33Jayman

33Jayman Electromatic

Mar 31, 2018
    Marne, Michigan
    I think the flat black one would be sweet with some nice pin stripes. Being a "Rat Rod" pin stripes should be a requirement.

I don't know why it wouldn't be a heck of a cool guitar if you did all the normal 5420 upgrades too. Can't wait to see one in person.

Jay

capnhiho and Merc like this.
  11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I don't have a personal interest, but this move is not too surprising. They have thinner 6120s in the form of Players Editions, makes sense that the would have an electromatic version.

I expect that we will see many more colors in the future.

12. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    I’ve seem them both in a shop in Shrewsbury the day they got them.
    I didn’t even bother playing them not my bag at all

13. 33Jayman

33Jayman Electromatic

Mar 31, 2018
    Marne, Michigan
  14. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    OF COURSE!! PINSTRIPES!!
    I’ve been pretty “meh” about the Rat Rods until I read this post, but personally selected/contracted pinstripes would be the bomb!

33Jayman likes this.
  15. 33Jayman

33Jayman Electromatic

Mar 31, 2018
    Marne, Michigan
    I have a friend who is an artist and formerly a sign painter. I will be talking with him after getting one of these. On a side note there is a 5420 in a shop near me that has the high gloss orange paint and with pin stripes and I don't think they belong. On matte paint yes. Gloss, not so much. IMHO, YMMV, yada yada....

larryb and Merc like this.
  16. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Already paid for mine....Be here in March:)
    Also have my stickers and G-tail ready to go:cool:

G DynaTron, Flouswa, TSims1 and 4 others like this.
  17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I forgot to mention above that I like the finish. The red matches well with the colors and theme. But I suspect we’re going to be seeing a lot of them getting heavily modded to include pickups. It’s just the nature of the Electromatic line. I was tempted with this G5410 and if I were to buy a hollowbody today, it’s the winner. But I’m on a Jet thing right now.

Reading opinions about the thickness... makes me think some sort of poll is in order with players height compared to guitar thickness. I’m not sure the best way to poll. You’d almost have to give a couple height options for each preferred body thickness. But it might be telling or at least confirming to what’s expected. Taller players may prefer thicker guitars.

larryb likes this.
  18. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    I luv the look of the rat rods and hope to see more colors mabye even sparkle version?

larryb and Merc like this.
  19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
  20. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    @larryb , those pups were made just for you :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice