Join Gretsch-Talk Today

What are your favorite customizations?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Les PaltaX, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Les PaltaX

Les PaltaX Electromatic

Nov 8, 2017
    Chile
    Hi everyone! As some may know, I'm getting a g5445t soon (Pics on Wednesday when I get it, I promise !!)

[​IMG]

I want to know, what are your favorite aesthetical customizations and sound mods?

I don't know how I could make this guitar look more personal... On the other hand, I'll make the pickups go higher and I'll change the strings for full nickel ones when I give it it's first maintenance and I hope the sound changes a little for good.

Share your own mods/customizations!! And I'll be reading all your advices about my future guitar.

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    They look and play great as they come, but strap locks are a good idea. Most of the issues with Electromatics come from the electrics, so better pots are a useful upgrade. I play everything wide open, so it's not a huge problem for me. A bone nut is always a good idea.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Compton or Tru-Arc bridge and straplocks at a minimum.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ......AND A JACK PLATE !!

6. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    No mods is my FAVOURITE mod.
    I have bought guitars with the specific intention of rebuilding them into 'something' - basically body/neck donors - but I don't tend to buy guitars without trying 'em first, so if I'm not happy, they go back on the wall...
    I bought a Jazzmaster, ended up shimming the neck and changing the bridge, then later got a Jag and carried out the same mods straight 'out of the box'... does that count?

j.s.c and Javier668 like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I love "useless" aesthetic mods(depending on the guitar), but IMO a well cut nut and a quality bridge do the most for sound and playability. Much more than any pickup change.

8. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    My guess is your new guitar is going to sound pretty darn good. Give it a chance, you may be totally happy with it as is. It may just need a setup at most if not done already by the supplier.

Robbie likes this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'd prolly throw a silver guard on that.

10. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    My first mod is toss the Bigsby and install a roller bridge. The white pickguard is next...too much contrast. Probably go for a zero fret and 3 pos tone (mud) switch.

11. Les PaltaX

Les PaltaX Electromatic

Nov 8, 2017
    Chile
    I'll seriously consider the change of the tone pot for a switch! And maybe some customization of the pickguard.
    I plan to do the change of pup height and strings when I do the first maintenance/calibration, so I'll have some time to check how it sounds before doing that stuff.

Any ideas for look customization?

Thank you for the answers!

12. emitex

emitex Gretschie

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    As far as I can see, your model need no changes, aesthetically. Playing wise, If I had that model, my first mod would be adding a zero fret via a Zero Glide nut. Then I would attempt to bypass the Bigsby tension bar by running the strings over (above) it.

13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    For me, the first and most important are mods that can make your guitar stay and return in tune no matter you use the tremolo...

A+!

14. G5422T

G5422T Gretschie

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I generally leave the guitar stock for a bit, just to see what it really is.

As much as I love the looks of Gretsch pick guards, I remove them, as my fumbling fingers get along better with them off.

I do prefer bar bridges, with a proper radius match, so if needed, I lean towards Tru-Arc bars or Serpentunes.

I get the string gage that feels good to me, and adjust the pups. I have TV Filters, HS Filters, Blacktops, and TV HiLo's, and like them all. I don't change pups "just because"!

Like others, a set of strap locks and I'm done. I just don't try turning a guitar into something that it isn't, I just try to "fine tune" it with the above items as needed, to fit my hack playing style.

If the Bigs needs help, I'll make sure that it's centered, and put a spring in that gets the handle height where I like it. Some guitars like the 7/8" factory spring, some like the Reverend Soft Spring.

I do like the Callaham string through Bigs bar, but I don't have them on all of mine.

I make sure that the nut is not binding with any strings, then just enjoy it.

Every guitar is different, so some need a little extra in tune ups, and some need very little.

15. Les Pedals

Les Pedals Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    South Jersey
    Greasing the nut and a Reverand soft Bigsby spring, and a Gretsch headstock nameplate on a G5420T.

16. Les Pedals

Les Pedals Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    South Jersey
    image.jpg

Attached Files:

j.s.c, Trash Kidd and TSims1 like this.
  17. heinzman

heinzman Gretschie

I hate those cheep and boring black truss rod covers ! Strap locks and jack plates for hollows ! ;-)

18. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Compton bridge, Vineham Rock'a billy pickups and a jack plate on my 5120.
    I'm currently in a guitar repair course and learning how to make nuts properly. I've attempted a few from youtube video lessons that where never "just so". Now that I'm getting the hang of it I'll be replacing the nut with a bone nut.

19. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    As predictable as the sunrise!

:)

thunder58 likes this.
  20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    • TruArc non-rocking bar bridge