What are you playing today?

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by Stefan, Sep 10, 2018.

1. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Beatles - Till There Was You. A simple song on the surface but working on blending the 2 guitar parts into one is proving more challenging than I thought. Also found some jazzy sounding 9th chords that work nicely.

Conversation with my wife:
    Wife: "Are you ever going to play something else?"
    Me: "As soon as I get this figured out."
    Wife: "I used to like this song!! :mad:"
    Me: "Sorry" (sound of headphones being plugged in)

Flouswa, emitex and CatTones like this.
  2. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    That's some tall cotton.

wildeman likes this.
  3. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    Yeah, it's a cool tune from a band that was once called "the most important band in Britain." I like the guitar in that tune.

You should hear the lyrics. A perfectly told tale of a double murder (one victim a ten year old boy!) by the IRA in Northern Ireland. Man, could they write some savagely brutal political songs.

This youtube video of the song has the lyrics printed in the comments. No surprise the guy who wrote them went on to become a well regarded novelist:

Penguin and Charlie westside like this.
  4. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Electromatic

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    All music can be crunched to 3 chord groups if you care to.

It's not particularly hard stuff, but my daughter doesn't read well and the key sig's in this show are a bit beyond most 3 chord gigs. I could do it, and I'm not really much of a guitar player, but I can read and have 35 years of doing theatrical gigs ranging from Aida to the Wiz. I know most of the the tricks used in theater and if she doesn't get too badly overwhelmed, she is in for a boat load of fun.

wabash slim likes this.
  5. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I will def Sit watch and listen once I settle. Thanks.

6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Still workin on this intro:D......
    It is badass though.

7. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Not 'learning', as I already know 'em, but in between soldering sessions, I'm picking up the bare (no electrics, at the mo) Peter Green/Gary Moore replica on my sofa and going through Cold Day In Hell/Jumping At Shadows/Still Got the Blues/Pretty Woman (not the Orbison one)/Black Magic Woman/Need Your Love So Bad/Oh Well/Man Of The World...

...you get the picture.

Penguin likes this.
  8. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Today I'm working on an original funky tune for a product demonstration video. Nothing musically challenging, but great fun. I'm way too tight to pay for stock music ;)

9. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Pachelbels's Canon in D on my 'cello; now listening to Kenny Wayne Shepherd on the stereo while making dinner.

MTurner likes this.
  10. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Gretschie

Mar 13, 2015
    Dunedin, FL
    Quick and straightforward blues thing I need to learn for tonight. Eric Clapton's "I'm Tore Down". Oddly enough after all these years of playing I've never done this song before.

johnny g and Flouswa like this.
  11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Telegraph Road

somebodyelseuk likes this.
  12. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Lots of Bob Wills, Jimmie Rodgers stuff. Webb Pierce, Hank Williams. I'm mainly a singer, so no blistering lead work here. :)

johnny g likes this.
  13. Highroller

Highroller Gretschie

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    There was thread on here a few days ago about reverb/delay pedals, and I thought to myself "what's a song that makes really good use of that?"

What I came up with was the Clash's "Rebel Waltz".

So I learned it. Pretty easy song really, and with the Dispatch Master pedal totally nailed the sound. Fun afternoon.

14. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Gretschie

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm having fun re-imagining Stevie Wonder's Superstition as a country blues song on my acoustic in standard and on my resonator in Skip James tuning in E . I got inspired by watching this:

Flouswa likes this.
  15. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Cold, Cold Heart, Hank Williams. Flatpicking in Key of F and playing some with capo on 3rd fret. Sounds so good on my 5420.

Alberta_Slim and Flouswa like this.
  16. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    ...and the next:

RJ is one of my alltime favorite guitarists and I love this version of the „Mr.Moto“-theme.

Alberta_Slim and Penguin like this.
  17. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

Mike Dawes is just the best. Nice guy too. I'm hoping he comes back to my area on tour again soon.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My son and I are learning He Is A Pirate (Pirates of the Caribbean) on piano. He prefers instrumental music from movies - Pink Panther, Tron Legacy are other favorites.

19. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Oh Yeah, can't go wrong with a lil John and Paul action

20. Freshy

Freshy Gretschie

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    You Go Down Smooth - Lake Street Dive

Since my vocals don't soar quite like Rachel Price so I transposed to A for bar chord chops. Saw an interview with them. The song is about the guitar players love of gin and tonics.
    [​IMG]

CatTones and Penguin like this.