what amp sounds better? fully cranked! 57 fender custom twin or the vox ac30

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by GOOBALL JEFF, Nov 22, 2019.

1. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    very basic riffs but just so you get an idea of what these amps sound like cranked fully. i like them both but what do you think handles the volume the best? and what has the better tone? A. 57 fender custom twin. B. vox ac30 https://soundcloud.com/user-76457720/guitar-tone image-asset.jpeg photo 1 (1).jpg

2. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Two different dogs in this fight.

Cranked, both are louder than heck. Depends on what tone you're after for your music.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  3. trefilboy

trefilboy Electromatic

To my ears, definately the Fender. Has a cleaner sound which is what I'd prefer, but then it's totally subjective

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  4. adauria

adauria Electromatic

Dec 22, 2016
    Wake Forest, NC
    First one (I assume that's the Fender), but both sound good in their way.

-Andrew

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  5. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    It really depends on how you define "better". Like someone already said, these are two different animals.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    both with a blender control, is the best. :) One reason I mixed up a tweed 50s vibrolux pwr section w an AC30 front end on my Raygun'59 amp. I intended to keep the 6v6's but EL34 give me the best of both worlds. What you have in those pictures.. Btw.. Sooooo beautiful to open up GT and see these first thing :) I want to sit on the floor between them and play all day :)

wabash slim, T Bone and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    In my world the full throttle tone would be used for soloing only. I would dial back the guitar`s volume for rhythm work. So this is not easy to decide from the samples.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  8. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    The obvious answer is you need both and an ABY box. :)

9. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    There is no finer sound then that of a JMI AC30 cranked.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Both.
    just different flavours of the same is all :)

I'm glad you made mp3 files for this test though and didn't waste your time with a youtube video

GOOBALL JEFF, Merc and TSims1 like this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Kind of like asking what tastes better chocolate chip cookies or sugar cookies.

GOOBALL JEFF, Waxhead and TW4990 like this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Oh and if you haven’t tried it warm a glazed donut then put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it, finish it and go play those beasts in stereo.

13. mikechandler

mikechandler Gretschie

Jul 7, 2015
    Chandler, AZ
    Number One sounded better to my ears.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s chalk and cheese. The only thing in common is the fact that they are both amplifiers; the approach and the results are quite different, but both are good sounding. For my needs, I’d probably go with the Fender, but either is a great amp and played in the clean range they are not all that different.

GOOBALL JEFF and Robbie like this.
  15. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I love the sound of my 65 Vox AC 30 cranked. Problem is there aren't many places where you can do that these days. Most of the big clubs are long gone and if you try to do it in the smaller places you won't have a job very long. These days you get bitched at if you crank a Princeton...:D.
    Anyway this is an apple vs orange question. They both are capable of creating some wonderful tones.

GOOBALL JEFF, Waxhead and GlenP like this.
  16. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    AB Pedal... Get the best of both worlds

wizard_23 and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  17. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

First up, both sound great! I do wonder what each would do with a bass and drums added in, would they both be as pleasing, or would one outshine the other with a rhythm section in the mix?
    Actually I assume the opposite, both from the sound and the pics scrolling during playback, I presume the first is the Vox.
    Edit: I was wrong, the Fender is first, he answers later in the thread.

Two really good amps doing their thing (what guitar/pickups were you using?).

Again, I really like both sounds, which brings me to this...

Yes, as usual, the correct answer is both. Also @TV the Wired Turtle suggested both (and even made an amp that had properties of both).

Sounds like you already have both, would be a great mix to have!

BTW, which flavor of the AC 30 is that? Is it the hand wired version, vintage, standard new edition or?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Both sound good but for my taste both are pushed harder than they should be, or realistically can be. That said, it’s only one persons opinion but I do like them both just somewhere around 5

19. Having the twin, and only having a ac30cc2, i would go with Twin. I didnt care as much for the sound of the ac30cc2, and i am guessing that version doesn’t sound like a hand wired ac30. The twin to me nails the sound of Keith Richards open G chord riffs when cranked up with a tele with a humbucker in the neck. It also has a blues sound that is very natural. Not to forget what a brain pedal does to it with my hot rod. However, in most of those situations, cranked , the amp is too loud for what i would use it for. I got the ac300cc2 for the wife, nut recently sold it. Have had the twin up and off reverb with a local pick up option for the past few months. I dont have a box for it, or i would have considered shipping. Thats not because its not a great amp, it is. I just dont get the chance to crank it, almost ever. And on low settings , like 2, it is not as wow as one would like. So if you guys have a box that fits it, let me know.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice