What a busy year

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by JHowdy, Dec 7, 2018.

1. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Once again, long time, no see! I've been busy this year with our block of flats house plumbing and electrics renovation: First packing my things (on my own) for three months during the spring, moving out in May, staying in a temporary place for the summer and then moving back in August. And finally, slowly putting my stuff back in place. Did some wall paper renewal in August, too, with some help from my runaway wife. That's our daughter though in one of those pictures.

At the moment I'm out of band. Our drummer decided to quit, which came as a pretty bad surprise. He's been kind of distant for the most of the year, but I thought it was just his health issues. Apparently not. Tomorrow I'll be jamming with another local rockabilly band that has had vocalist problems, because their singer lives in another town and can't attend as much as they would like him to. And, with our own band's bassist we have a plan to start searching for a new drummer in January, if our former drummer won't come back. We'll see. This year's been busy in the band racket, too. We've had more gigs this year than before, with people asking us to come and play instead of us trying to sell ourselves :). So it would be a crying shame to quit now.

Hope to attend more on the forum from now on, but we'll have see about that, too.

39442222_1810773325705697_5117213612015878144_o.jpg
    Removing the old wallpapers. The first or upper layer of old papers had been painted white for some reason unknown, and they looked awful. Underneath them there was the original layer of dark green gothic wallpapers, they had a nice figure, but they were a bit too dark.

39442989_1810773252372371_7243474508051382272_o.jpg
    Old papers removed, before smoothing and painting the concrete walls.

44161311_1892741020842260_3823252055787569152_n.jpg
    The same room now. Poor picture, curtains still missing.

47685280_1962161203900241_1103304251402092544_o.jpg
    My small 'study' with some of the basic elements of life :).

Pete66, pmac11, Freshy and 6 others like this.
  2. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Nice to hear from you again.

audept and JHowdy like this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Sending you positive thoughts, Juhani. I hope you and your family have a great Christmas.

JHowdy likes this.
  4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Keep warm. And drunk!!

JHowdy likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Hi Juhani and welcome back . The room looks great and your daughter is growing up so fast . Hope to see more of you here
    Rich

6. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Thanks, guys. I've missed this place and company for sure. I don't know if it's me getting older or what, but it just seems so difficult to put yourself into something as hard as writing in English. Honestly, there is a big doorstep for me to cross if I haven't done it for a while.

As much as I'd like to sometimes, I can't follow Uncle Daddy's suggestion at the moment because of slight heart issues. Yes, that too. Quite a year.

thunder58 likes this.
  7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Hey John,
    ...so, back home with wife? I sure hope so!!
    Your daughter has gotten so big and very pretty.

Wishing you all the best, my friend!

8. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Thank you Larry. Unfortunately not. We see each other once a week or so with the wife, but still live separated. It is a complicated situation and I'm not sure if time will cure all the wounds or separate us for good.

larryb likes this.
  9. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Always good to hear from you Juhani.

10. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

It's good to hear from you again Juhani, and the upgrade of the flat looks great. I'm sure your daughter adds just the right touch to the surrounding, too. I'm sorry to read that the challenges in your life, haven't yet resolved the way you would like. Here's hoping and praying that they still can.

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Nice to hear from you.
    Looks like a new start.
    Good luck for your future, friend.

12. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Glad to hear you're doing well, Juhani! Your daughter is growing up beautifully! Moving is a pain---and moving twice is doubly so! Don't be a stranger.

13. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Thanks again! I'm not sure yet if I can keep this flat, at least living by myself, because the renovation costs a whole lot. I'll have to start paying for it from next summer on until I die. That's Finland! It's a lottery win to be born here and it takes another one to survive.

But no worries, I'll enjoy it as long as I can. DSC_0388.jpeg DSC_0387.jpeg _20181207_193058.jpeg DSC_0375.jpeg

Lähetetty minun H4113 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

thunder58, Pete66 and audept like this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Good to hear from you. Best of luck with your health and the bands.

15. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Nice to see you posting again sir!

16. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Welcome back!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

JHowdy likes this.
  17. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Praying for you still, my friend!

JHowdy, thunder58 and audept like this.
  18. Pete66

Pete66 Gretschie

Nov 18, 2015
    Wyre and Fylde
    Good to see you back. I was in your exact situation 15 years ago, with a young daughter to bring up. It all works out.
    Also lost my drummer last month, he's sold his kit too!

JHowdy likes this.
  19. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    Hey, bud. Take it easy

JHowdy likes this.
  20. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Off to a band rehearsal in an hour. We're going to do at least some Johnny Burnette this time. I'll be singing, maybe doing some guitaring too. They asked me if I could sing Your Baby Blue Eyes. Well, never sung that one before but I'll try. It goes 'only' as high as the G note, but that's not all. Lot's of little tricks in that song to make it sound right. Whoa.