Join Gretsch-Talk Today

What’s your take on this

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by brianr, Dec 21, 2017.

1. brianr

brianr Synchromatic

Aug 1, 2014
    palmdale
    As you know I’m always messing around with new ideas, well here is what I’m trying, it’s a hollowbody this is just my first few hours of trying this basket weave idea out using maple

Attached Files:

benjwri likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I wonder about stability, will you have a laminated single piece behind it or will you somehow press it so it is as solid as a single piece?

3. brianr

brianr Synchromatic

Aug 1, 2014
    palmdale
    Still thinking on that

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have seen old bowl back mandolins that used the thin shavings from the hand plane to line the bowl. I have seen some lined with silk. I don’t think either provided any stiffness is consideration but think in some cases it helped stabilize the bowl laterally across the multiple joints and I read somewhere sill tended to help stabilize humidity changes, really don’t see how that would work but it was done and those instruments sounded great. The basket weave may look unconventional but pushing the bounds is always fun as long as you learn from it. I have a Vega with some weird upholstery strips glued on it and although a plain Jane model it sounds great. I say go for it you might have a winning idea! And I assume it’s an electric so any side stability you could habdle in other ways without sacrificing the electric tone. It looks good!

brianr likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You know if you scrap it as a side you could use itnonbthensodenthe the round up did with leather and or snakeskin.

brianr likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If anyone could pull it of, it'd be you.

brianr likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That sounds like a challenging idea. Good luck, Brian.

brianr likes this.
  8. brianr

brianr Synchromatic

Aug 1, 2014
    palmdale
    I am going to wing it from here

Attached Files:

Bertotti likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    What about two layers of it?

10. brianr

brianr Synchromatic

Aug 1, 2014
    palmdale
    I’ll secure it with kerfing inside, the weave is glued so far with tight bond it’s pretty secure but definitely needs more support

stevo and Bertotti like this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Just kerfing around the top and bottom or will you add an occasional verticle support. I ask because I could see the sides giving in to the tension of the strings on the top and end block. I could be wrong having never tried that but just pointing out an observation just in case.

12. brianr

brianr Synchromatic

Aug 1, 2014
    palmdale
    Oh it will have vertical support as well

Bertotti likes this.
  13. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Electromatic

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    Wonder what fiberglass around the inside would do to the sound, that would stiffen it up?

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    If someone was going to go a composite route CF would be the way to go. There are some successful CF builds out there but expensive.

15. Just-Joshin-Ya

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I have a Composite Acoustics X model it's amazing, but just adding a bit for reinforcement shouldn't cost too much be it fiberglass or CF!

16. gimmodog

gimmodog Electromatic

Nov 1, 2017
    Kentucky

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  17. Just-Joshin-Ya

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    That's really what I was thinking of too but i couldn't think of a good way to apply it!

18. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    You have a great imagination Brian and I mean that in a good way . Hope this build works out for you

19. brianr

brianr Synchromatic

Aug 1, 2014
    palmdale
    The other day I was going to scrap this project, and then I went to the broad museum here in Los Angeles and realized that even though it’s a bigger task to do this, that anything is almost possible. Now that I’m into it this far is turning out really special but I am not a patient person usually so I need to slow down a bit on this build. I’ve got the bracing on it’s pretty strong. I guess just by the weave process it strong by itself but the extra bracing can’t hurt. I’m undecided yet on to stain it clear or paint it cream with sparkle gold binding like a falcon which I love the color combo

Attached Files:

Axis39 likes this.
  20. brianr

brianr Synchromatic

Aug 1, 2014
    palmdale
    Updated, so as of now I put the top on and cut the holes needed. I am leaning towards cream top and back, black sides and red sparkle binding

Attached Files:

Ylikessu likes this.