Well, yeah... Another new one... :)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Parts, Yay!
    [​IMG]
    I'm hoping I'll have time to install these this evening :)

2. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Very nice Sid, looking forward to some sound clips in the future.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Got the bits installed tonight and while I've still got to tweak pups, Stetsbar, and the setup in general a bit, my initial test spin was really promising :)
    [​IMG]
    I'll see if I can grab a couple at least somewhat useful clips of it this weekend w/ my Zoom ;)

blueruins, Ricochet, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I didn't wind up getting around to tuning the Stetsbar after I got home last night but spent a couple hours noodling away on this guitar between the 1974x and Maz Jr. setup and my Class 5 dealing w/ suboptimal action and return to pitch performance of the wiggly bit and enjoying the heck out of those Surf 90s.

My long term experience w/ DeArmond type pickups is limited to the 2000s in my Special Jet, the 2Ks that were in a since departed early '00s DeArmond, and the vintage Dynasonic in my '56 6189. That being said, these things seem to deliver the goods for me admirably in this guitar. There's all kinds of bite and clarity on either pickup (or both together) & a surprising lack of noise/hum. I could deal w/ about 10-15% more output from them, but they seem to be surpassing the HS Filters in my 6128T or Panther in that department and I still need to spend some more time optimizing the pickup and pole piece heights. The neck has a great grand piano type quality to it and the bridge is twang-tastic. Both sound pretty great to me clean or dirty (although I did find myself needing to crank up the dirt a notch or 2 to reach equivalent levels of nasty that I'd expect from most of my other guitars). While they don't seem like they'll be the champions of dynamic feel out of what I've had, I'd guess they seem to be placing above the 70th percentile for me and provide a very satisfying degree of feel.

I wouldn't want these in every one of my guitars, but they do really great surfy/billy/westerny sounds and produce a nice jangly and rude crunch to overdrive under a good bit of boost/gain/etc. IMO. They seem like an awesome value to me so far and like a great single coil option for HB mounts even when money is no object :D If I wind up equally as impressed w/ the Slick 90s I grabbed for the recent slab Jet reclamation project I will be ecstatic.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice