Well, yeah... Another new one... :)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I swung by the local Sam Ash this afternoon to give another look at the Peerless guitars that had showed up earlier this week. With the weather being crappy, it was pretty quiet there and I put in about 1.5 hours A/B/C ing a few of the Retromatics through a little Supro and an AC15C1 and wound up walking out w/ this one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It sounds and feels great acoustically and I'm really liking the neck, it's similar to a Gretsch C but a bit chunkier. The fretwork seems great and the wire is fairly low & medium width which seems to work well for me. The quality of feel seems to be equal to my Korean Gretsches and Guilds and just a bit south of my recollection of the Duesenberg Caribou I had. I was happily surprised that it came w/ what seems to be a nicely cut and shaped unbleached bone nut.

The body seems to be a good bit more involved in its sound than many other centerblock semis I've had and it seems like a highly enjoyable guitar to play unplugged w/ a nice volume level and tone. After my time w/ them today at the store and my subsequent spins through some of my own stuff at home, my opinion of the stock pickups is greatly improved, especially when it comes to the neck single coil. They seem to work pretty great for jazzy and bluesy sounds on the cleaner end of the spectrum and the bridge has a good bit of twang for thicker rockabilly or western-y type sounds. They both seem to have fairly moderate output that is nicely balanced and a pretty good dynamic feel to them. The bridge HB seems to have a bit of weird thing going on in the mids once traversing to crunch and beyond that isn't quite clicking for me so far, but I think it's more of a subjective thing than any fault of its own.
    [​IMG]
    All that being said, I couldn't resist adding a set of GFS Surf 90s to my P90 order for the burst slab Jet when I noticed that they were in stock. I've been wanting to give a set of them a try for a while but could never put my hands on a set when I was looking for them previously. I've never heard them in person but it seems like they'd stand a good chance of matching up w/ this guitar really well.

I'll most likely change the tailpiece as well at some point: I've got a trapeze from my Epi ES-175 Premium that I might at least test fit first, but I'm thinking a B6 w/ a Towner bar or finally trying a Stetsbar as I've really missed a wiggly bit of some sort on it in my play time so far.

It helps that they wound up throwing in a set of NYXL .010-.046s and upgrading the gig bag to a pretty nice matching hard shell case unprompted and it came in right at the threshold of the $50 off an item $499 or more promo they were running, but I'd say if one catches your eye it's totally worth giving it a spin. They all seemed like a heckuvalot of guitar for the money to me.

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, looks great!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats, Sid! You are really giving Tony Sims some serious competition in the new gear day category!

TSims1 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  4. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Congrats, very cool and uncommon guitar.

5. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

Very nice! It definitely has a Duesenberg art deco vibe to it as well.

6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Love it! Congrats Sid!

7. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
  8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys! I've been enjoying it a lot so far today :)

Tony certainly deserves his more, or at least he does a lot more of worth w/ his gear at any rate ;)

Sounds like the guys might be just about ready to start playing again on the regular so I might get back to a somewhat sane rate of gear acquisition some time in the near future ? :p

audept likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I was just thinking how happy I am to see someone else around here picking up the slack!! Lol.

I have been intrigued by these Peerless guitars for awhile now........I love how that looks! Enjoy!

10. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congrats Sid! That's a cool looking guitar, and I like the color!

11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    The regular tag price since they showed up locally on this P2 model is $499 w/ a fairly decent looking gig bag. I think they were originally at $899 when they first came out around 2012. They have a P3 model w/ a nice looking trans red top that added a varitone w/ a few cool settings and the hard case for $549 too, but it seemed seriously down on output from the P2s they had.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Great value here. Peerless are really sweet.

13. Pop1655

Pop1655 Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    She’s a looker for sure!

14. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Congrats, sounds like great bang for the buck

15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    O.k., Sid.
    Confess: So you won the lottery recently?:p

Great guitar.

16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    LOL, naw. Just single w/ no kids, a fairly low cost of living, and a decent paycheck I trade my soul for on an almost daily basis ;) :D The usual bass player and drummer fell off of our regular playing schedule about a year ago and I find I'm much more prone to gear acquisition when I'm not getting to play w/ people on a regular basis too...

These last 2 guitars combined look like they're going to come in just under $1K out of pocket w/ the improvements I've got planned for them.

Speaking of which, this guy just shipped for this guitar today :) :
    [​IMG]
    edit: and a set of these:
    [​IMG]
    Both expected to arrive on Wednesday :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    loudnlousy and TSims1 like this.
  17. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Sid!

18. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    The Stetsbar is a pretty doggone cool device. I think you’ll enjoy that. Consider the vintage handle for it too, it looks and feels great.

19. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I'm definitely excited to give one a try (and probably equally as excited to finally try out the Surf 90s even if I'm liking the sound of the stock neck pup more and more as I play it)

I was debating adding one of the vintage bars to the order for the tailpiece/bridge, but convinced myself the stock bar would allow more clearance for muting at the saddles w/o needing to swing it way out of the way. OTOH I have a bit of a concern that the stock one seems to be angled up away from the body fairly significantly (maybe a bit too much for my liking?) Could be that neither of these is a real concern and I could just choose based on aesthetics alone. We'll see soon enough I spose :)

TSims1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice