Weird 4 hole amp question?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Funky54, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    I’ve got a really big gig coming up. I’ve never ran this much sound before. I’m actually maxing out my board and mic’ing everything. (16 sources to mic...)

Just curious, could I plug a high Z (instrument cable) into the 4rth un-used hole of my AC30 > plug the other end of the instrument cable into a 1/4 to XLR transformer adaptor (high z to low Z) and then into my board?

If so, how would that sound compared to mic’ing the AC30? I’m desperate to find alternatives to so many mic’s.

2. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Mic the amp it will sound better.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Mike it.

You can get a smaller 8 channel mixer, fill that up, then feed it to two channels on your main mixer. We'd do this for keyboard stacks and drums. Even a mono 4 channel mixer would make it easier.

tartanphantom, benjwri and Tony65x55 like this.
  4. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    This. We do that on rare occasions with a little 4 channel mixer. The line out of your amp will work, but not be the tone you hear from the speaker.

wabash slim likes this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Slim has steered you well. Mic it, it will sound like poopy dog turds if you don't. Your AC30 will NOT be happy.

wabash slim likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I gotta kick out of 4th unused holes. You should get the most out of those holes you spent good money on!

7. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    They do ya a hole lot of good!

I plug guitar into TB high, jump from low of TB to high of normal.... so one hole remains.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Henry and calebaaron666 like this.
  8. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Indeed. I use a small 4-channel mixer to sub-mix multiple acoustic guitars to the same master mixer strip. As you said, it works just fine as long as you aren't maxing out the gain on the sub-mix channels.

9. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's why mixers have VU meters. Just keep 'em out of the red.

tartanphantom likes this.
  10. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    And that's also what pre/post And solo switches are for... setting Max usable channel gain before clip. Most folks don't even know what the solo switch or pre/post fader switch does.;) And let's not even get into the concept of "ringing out" the monitors... Some people who call themselves "sound guys" look at me like I'm from Mars when I ask them to ring out the monitors before soundcheck.

11. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    "Turn it up!" "More ME in the monitor!"
    I'm sitting at an 88 channel Gamble sound desk. Each channel has like 15 or more controls on it. Exactly WHAT do you want me to turn up?

tartanphantom likes this.
  12. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    I use an older analog 16 channel StudioMaster diamond series board. It doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles but I do think it sounds good for what it is.

Check out my upcoming nightmare. This is why I’ve been asking so many questions PA related. I’ve never done anything this challenging before. 6000’ minus stage, 24’ high ceilings, two walls are curtain glass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice