Weird 1954 Country Club on the 'Bay

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by drmilktruck, Oct 26, 2014.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Reportedly all stock including the strange pickguard. Is it real?

1954 Very Rare Prototype Gretsch 6197-8 "country club" Hybrid

[​IMG]

2. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Yes... right as rain. I've documented at least 3 of them, and the model stamp is 6197-8. The pickguard on the one above is a repro, but functions just like the original, which no doubt has gone the way of many brown tortoise guards of that era. I would not call it a prototype, but that's just me (prototype of what?). The Bigsby is not original, but a nice addition. Ya gotta love those fancy split-hump block inlay!

3. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    The vintage gold B6 is indeed a nice touch. The gold Melita also has a bit of value.

Wasn't there just a discussion on these ones with the push button pickguard recently? I think people were asking how to make the flap on the pickguard work.

4. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I thought that guitar looked familiar....

I just saw it in person last month at the Nashville Gretsch Roundup. Hot Rod Walt brought it to the Roundup... now he's selling it!?! It's pretty darn nice, and the refinish is very good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice